Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a front end collision straight in front of drivers position going probably 30 mph as I hit the brakes hard. My beautiful 2016 MDX that I only had for 6 months (replacing my 15 yr old MDX).
We hit a jeep and it was a pretty hard hit - auto body estimate is $13k.
I cannot understand why the Drivers side air bag did not deploy - my seat belt held me in and other than sore neck I am very fortunate that no one is seriously hurt.
The passenger air bag deployed and kept my teenage son safe.

Now I have an insurance company, an auto body shop, and Acura themselves all telling me that for whatever reason the sensors detected the driver side air bag was not needed and so it didnt deploy. They want to just fix the car and go with no further inspection...... this seems like lunacy .... they are going to fix the car and expect me to drive it not knowing if the air bag will deploy on a future accident.

How would I find my own mechanic investigator to tell me why it didnt deploy?

We are a 2 acura and 2 honda family and Acura has abandoned me.

Joyce

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not aware of mechanic investigators that can explain for sure why it didn't deploy. You'd have to know specific details about the airbag logic programming that Acura likely doesn't provide to outside people. I would have expected that if the car determines a front airbag is needed, it would deploy both. But perhaps there is a higher threshold for the driver, since it comes out of the steering wheel closer to most people's body, and airbags themselves can injure you, so they want to be sure it is really necessary.

Some data may have been captured by the car computer that Acura could analyze. But to get Acura's attention, you'd probably need to call NHTSA and file a suspected vehicle safety defect. https://www.nhtsa.gov/about-nhtsa/contact-us

You also could take it to any competent mechanic and ask them to do a SRS system check with a high end scan tool that can read the SRS system, to verify the light is working which should turn on if it sees any faults, and that there are no system faults recorded.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The airbag is a Supplemental Restraint and not intended to be a primary safety feature. Airbags have certain criteria that allow them to pop open (software wise) and then as well hardware wise also.

Why it didn't can be speculated quite a bit, everything from the weight of the driver, seating position and deceleration rates once the impact sensor was triggered. If your seat is too far forward the airbag can injure the driver. If the driver is below a certain weight it may injure the driver. If the car determines that the airbag going off will not prevent injury then it will not go off. Did your face come near the steering wheel at all or impact it? If not, the airbag wouldn't have done anything.

Hardware wise, if the car did intend for the airbag to go off, then the airbag may be faulty. Lots of expensive airbag parts will need to be replaced so they can certainly check if the car's computer triggered the airbag. If the airbag was supposed to go off and didn't, it will be clear as day. IF the computer did not trigger the driver airbag, then there had to have been a reason.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts