Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the posts on the topic and just want to confirm my understanding. The Form Fit air deflector from Tim is the way to go for price and because of the whine that the Acura deflector makes. The Form Fit has clamps that screw into the existing holes on the hood. There are "bumpers" that stick to the hood. The only way to remove the Form Fit is by removing the screws that hold the clamps? The last part is what I am concerned about. I do not want to have to unscrew the clamps every time I wax the car to get to the hood underneath the deflector. Will it pop out of the clamps without unscrewing them from the hood? Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ack. Thanks Kflint I was afraid of that. How do you wash and wax under there? It doesn't seem like a good idea to keep unscrewing the screws but I haven't seen the set-up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Form Fit Deflector Removal

Good question. I waxed before installation and haven't waxed underneath since. :(

Here is a picture of the side "clips" that don't need to be removed (just as an fyi, the clear rubber bumpers are attached to the hood, not the deflector):

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Form Fit Deflector (Underside)

... and here are the four screws that would need to be removed for the "wax on, wax off" :4:

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks MDXLNT. A picture sure is worth a thousand words! What do the side "clips" attach to on the car, or do they just rest on the vinyl strips that go on the hood? Thanks again!

·
Registered
140 Posts
The rubber "side clips" rest on the vinyl strips. Actually, they have a slot in them (kind of "u" shaped) and slip over the front edge of the hood. You wrap the vinyl strips over the front end, so that half is on top and half in underneath.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For the 4 screws that attaches the Formfit on the underside of the hood, do you screw it all the way in? I hand-tightened the screws and they were tight after a few rotations and there is a gap between the Formfit and the hood underside. The instructions said not to overtighten. Looks like it's okay but just to make sure.

thanks,
Ace28

·
Registered
653 Posts
Are the side clips silver metalic? It would look better if they were dark like the deflector.

Are the four screw prone to rusting?

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
89 Posts
Black Plastic Clips and Black Anodized Screws

m2pc,

The picture I posted earlier doesn't do the Formfit justice. The clips are indeed black plastic (the flash from my camera made them look a little metallic, but they blend in with the "smoked" deflector very well). Also, the screws (phillips head) have some sort of black anodized coating. Although I garage the MDX and it doesn't see too much sun, there is no rust and the screws seem pretty non-corrosive.

The Formfit deflector is probably one of my favorite accessories on the MDX :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I've been able to keep the hood under the Form Fit deflector clean and polished by threading assorted Z coated, wet, and dry cloths underneath from the back and pulling through the front openings.
Perfect ? No, but I am sure it works fine to keep that area clean and protected without risking stripping out any mounting screws.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts