Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
I agree - the rear air-conditioner is always on when the front is on. Pushing in the RR/A/C button on the front dash AND setting the REAR fan speed to MAX HI and temp to MAX COLD greatly increases the flow of cold air to the back half of the truck when it is hot. It seems to me this helps to make the interior cool down quicker. Of course, if it gets too cold in the rear, the folks sitting back there can now directly control the rear unit to suit their own tastes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree with Frostyra. In my '03, rear vents appear to mimic front vents when RR Manual is OFF. Only when RR Manual is ON is the rear CONTROL PANEL operational.

·
Registered
476 Posts
frostyra said:

Same as on the '01-'02 models. If that button is NOT pushed, the rear A/C functions automatically, following the same settings that the front A/C is using (if you don't believe me, stick your hand back there and feel what it's doing). If it IS pushed, the rear A/C follows the control settings of the rear passenger control panel. Either way, it IS an A/C, and it IS working.

You must enable the rear passenger controls in order for them to control the rear temperature, fan speed, and air-outlet choice. You do NOT have to enable the rear passenger controls in order for the rear A/C to work -- if the front A/C is working, the rear A/C is working. So the RR A/C Manual button doesn't turn the rear A/C on or off, it just chooses between having the rear A/C function as the front A/C does, or giving it its own separate A/C controls. That button only enables the rear controls, not the rear A/C. Honest!

Fair enough--that is technically correct (yikes, the ambiguities of the english laguage) since the coolant is flowing through the rear evaporator at all times hence it is "on". It is the controls that must be enabled and why they are disabled on full auto since the full auto system wants complete control of the mix.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
MDX Cools Faster Than Any I've Owned

As an owner of a Black MDX I did have some concern about cool down time on hot days. After owning it over a year and experiencing numerous 100+ days where I had to get in my X that had been setting in the sun I have come to the conclusion that this concern (cool down time) was unfounded.

My Black MDX cools down much faster than any other vehicle I have owned. On hot days I do crack a few windows and the sunroof and put a shade in the front window. I always leave the rear on, turning it off will lengthen the cool down time. If you turn off the rear A/C you receive no benefits from the rear condenser coils.

The only times I have felt that it was not cooling enough have been when I accidentally turned off full auto. Happened just today and when I realized it was off and turned it back to full auto the X was cool in a minute. It cools down much faster and better with full auto engaged and the rear A/C on.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Lewjdw:

___Can you take a thermometer out to your X and place it directly in front of the vents while the A/C is on? Tell us what kind of temps you are seeing? Right at the outlets is what I would be interested in. If you are in the 38 – 45 degree range, you are probably in the ball park. Too much higher than that and I would be concerned. I am guesstimating so I could be way out to lunch on this?

___As some in this thread have mentioned, the X’s A/C is about the most capable and fastest cooling system in any car that I have ever driven. If I remember correctly, the X’s A/C was designed and extensively tested in the Phoenix or an even hotter area of Arizona before it was released. It may have been in the 01/02 detailed overview literature somewhere? TheWorm, if you are listening … Anyway, we haven’t had any 100 + degree days yet but when it was 93 in Chicago the other day, it wasn’t but a minute or two and the X was like the inside of a fridge … and I most certainly liked being inside the X’s fridge like environment on that particular day ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have had this issue since day one - the front A/C is never as cold as the rear A/C and it takes a lot longer to get it to cool down in the front. Living in Texas where the low for the day is typically 75 - 80 (and that occurs about 4am), you need a good A/C. My 89 Acura Legends froze me out when I owned them, as does the Lexus I currently own. I had everything checked out & there are no problems - I tend to think the explanation about the front air ducts being overheated does make sense.

I do roll down the windows and set it on 60 and once it does cool down - it's fine. It just takes twice as long as any other car I've owned.

To be fair to the cooler climate members - if the outside temp is under 80, it gets cold in a hurry.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Acura claims the total system has a cooling capacity of a house, apparently a total capacity of 29,700 BTUs. Front:17,300, rear:12,400. They've always claimed this is one of the highest of any vehicles. Figures are from the 03 service manual.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
feliz said:
Acura claims the total system has a cooling capacity of a house, apparently a total capacity of 29,700 BTUs. Front:17,300, rear:12,400. They've always claimed this is one of the highest of any vehicles. Figures are from the 03 service manual.
The capacity has been discussed before, and it would not be an average house by US standards. The duty cycle of that compressor to cool a home would be something else. Your utility meter would be doing a good spin continuously for sometime.
But on the road I have been encountering daily bouts with 100+ temps out here recently, and it has never falied to please.

·
Registered
587 Posts
DaleB said:

The capacity has been discussed before, and it would not be an average house by US standards.
Dale, I wasn't defending or promoting the figures, I know it's PR. I just put them out for interest sake. I also find the system works fine but I live in moderate climate.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I also live in the Phoenix heat. I believe that the X's AC system is as good as any. However, cooling a vehicle in 115 degrees and full sunshine is not a small task. The X's AC system deals well with the high ambient heat by pumping out lots of cold air. However, radiant heat coming in through the windows and striking your skin can still cause discomfort. Side window tinting is not fashionable in the desert--it is required. Flipping the windshield visor forward helps some. Forget about opening the sunroof's solar shade until after the sun goes down. Use a good windshield solar reflector while parked. If possible, align your parked car so that the windshield reflector goes head-on with the sun. In the morning and afternoon park in the shade of a building. During mid-day, look for the shade of a Palo Verde tree that dot Phoenix's parking lots. If you can keep your car cooler while it is parked, your car will cool quicker and your trip home will be more comfortable.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
feliz said:

Dale, I wasn't defending or promoting the figures, I know it's PR. I just put them out for interest sake. I also find the system works fine but I live in moderate climate.
I understand, I was just providing that for further info if anybody wants to do some searches. I live in a very warm summer climate, and it works just fine.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
xcel said:
___Can you take a thermometer out to your X and place it directly in front of the vents while the A/C is on? Tell us what kind of temps you are seeing? Right at the outlets is what I would be interested in. If you are in the 38 – 45 degree range, you are probably in the ball park. Too much higher than that and I would be concerned. I am guesstimating so I could be way out to lunch on this?

Hi Wayne:

You are not "out to lunch" on this one.

I just added a can of R134A to our 10 year old Volvo. Prior to doing this I put a pocket thermometer into the vent of the Volvo and got a reading of 60 degrees. As a point of reference I did the same in the MDX and got a reading of 40.

After adding the can of R134A (12 ounces for $2.99) the Volvo now gets down to 40 and it cools much better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: MDX Cools Faster Than Any I've Owned

BaldEagle said:
The only times I have felt that it was not cooling enough have been when I accidentally turned off full auto[/b]. Happened just today and when I realized it was off and turned it back to full auto the X was cool in a minute. It cools down much faster and better with full auto engaged and the rear A/C on. [/B]
Gee, I've done that...and Mr. Eagle is correct, on Full Auto, the MDX cools down fast. I've had the MDX sitting outside with no screen in 100 degree heat (OK, not 115, but still 100) and the MDX cooled down in a matter of minutes. BTW, my vehicle is quite dark too (Sage).

·
Registered
455 Posts
mdxxxx said:
Hmmm, A minute after I turn my AC on, everyone is freezing... I almost works too good.
I will agree with that, if the temp is at 65 or lower, Brrrrrr!

·
Registered
123 Posts
AC colling down fast enough

I live in Las Vegas and the temperatures are averaging 115 everyday. I noticed at the begining of the summer I was not feeling the AC fast enough on my commutes and was going to bring it into the service department. However I started timing the drives I do and the AC usually gets ice cold in 7 minutes when the interior is about 150 degrees. I also noticed the two front windows were letting in huge amounts of UV heat so I tinted my windows this last week and noticed my car now cools down in 2 minutes and is ice cold on my commutes. I believe the two front windows were the problem the whole time since the full UV of the sun was heating me up during the drive and heating the car up during parking. In the desert like someone else said you have got to tint your windows.

·
Registered
189 Posts
AC experience in the 3rd row??

Anyone have any feedback about the AC effectiveness in the third row seats? I've been shopping around and trying to find something that does a good job keeping the rear area cool. Some of the bigger vehicles have vents in the back, but am I correct in that the MDX the vents blowing on the back seat are the farthest ones back?

·
Registered
96 Posts
My X was tested by my dealer at the 7500 miles oil change on the tire pressure and tread, and air temp. It tested out at 30 - 34 degrees. This thing cools fast.

The fact that I keep my X in a parking garage helps tons.

If I could dial in 30 degrees I'd do it on some of the hot days we have here in Tallahassee!!

My kids have learned to bring blankets. They've resorted to towels when they forget the blankets. Brrrrr - YES!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased an 03' x in New York City, and i'm not happy with the ac sysytem. We are experiencing a heatwave, but the temp. tonight is only about 86 deg. I have been suspecting problems since I purchased the vehicle. I had owned an RL and as always impressed with the cooling capacity. I tested the center vent tonight while parked and got a reading of 59.9 degress f, and this was after about 15 min. of idling. I know there is a problem, my RL was a freezer at any given time. The rear vent blows colder air than does the front, verified with the temp gauge. It was at leat 5.5 gegress colder at any given time. The front vent almost refuses to drop below 59.9. The rear dropped slowly but surely. I know the latest acuras take pride in the cooling capacity etc. IMO the system struggles to keep the temp down, I had it set at 65 degress, and after 15 min. mind u at night 86 degrees the interior temp. measured 74 degress after 15 minutes. What could be the problem. Does it have to do with humidity etc, Im still under warranty fo 2000 more miles. Any suggestiond before I have too pay a pretty penny.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
XLOVE said:
Im still under warranty fo 2000 more miles. Any suggestiond before I have too pay a pretty penny.
I dunno, I feel like being a dick tonight...

If you still are under warranty...uh, here's a thought....USE IT! Go to the dealer and have them check it out for free while you have a warranty.

I could tell you a bunch of causes for poor A/C performance, but unless you know what you're doing, have all the tools, and maybe a $5000 A/C refridgerant recycling machine...it's out of your hands.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts