Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My poor old car has some issues, thankfully nothing mechanical *knocks on wood*. Im not really a car person, so forgive things which may seem obvious but are not to me.

My antenna shaft broke off, and half the screw is in the base. Do I have to replace the whole base? The center part looks like perhaps it screws out, does it? How painful is replacing the entire thing? Do I need specific type if I replace the whole thing, or does any design work (I detest the tail that snags on things, like my roof top carrier, which is how this happened)? Play and play or no? Any suggestions?

DVD Player: Ridiculous thing doesnt want to work anymore. Skips DVDs, refuses to play,etc. Can i put an aftermarket one in there, and its plug and play, or does it need to be OEM? Any suggestions?

The little fins on all the vents in the dash are just a wreck. GOogle is being useless. Can I get replacements without replacing the entire dash?

I appreciate any tips, tricks, suggestions, links and how-tos! Or if anyone wants to come do it for me :p

·
Registered
270 Posts
For #1 - dunno, but I will assume the cover on the Antenna pops out and you unscrew it and replace.

For #2 - As long as you don't have Bose, you can replace easily.

For #3 - I don't remember but if you have the right tool ($10 from Harbor freight) you can pull the vents out and replace.

·
Registered
278 Posts
For the DVD, did you try more than one disk? Sometimes the disk is bad or dirty. If you have tried multiple disks, you can buy a dvd cleaner, it's a DVD disk that has brushes on it and it will clean the laser lenses. I had this work great on devices like xbox. It is only a few dollars at local stores or amazon etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
For the DVD, did you try more than one disk? Sometimes the disk is bad or dirty. If you have tried multiple disks, you can buy a dvd cleaner, it's a DVD disk that has brushes on it and it will clean the laser lenses. I had this work great on devices like xbox. It is only a few dollars at local stores or amazon etc.
+1 - It may simply be that a good lens cleaning is needed.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
For #1 - dunno, but I will assume the cover on the Antenna pops out and you unscrew it and replace.

For #2 - As long as you don't have Bose, you can replace easily.

For #3 - I don't remember but if you have the right tool ($10 from Harbor freight) you can pull the vents out and replace.

Why is it difficult to change the DVD player if you have Bose speakers?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
Why is it difficult to change the DVD player if you have Bose speakers?
Bose Speaker systems wiring (while using the same standard connectors) is different than a 'normal' system. So if he has a DVD-RES with Bose, he can only replace it that unit. Sorta sucks but if you want your infotainment console to work you have to.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Bose Speaker systems wiring (while using the same standard connectors) is different than a 'normal' system. So if he has a DVD-RES with Bose, he can only replace it that unit. Sorta sucks but if you want your infotainment console to work you have to.
So the whole thing has to come out? Speakers, DVD player, TV screen??

·
Registered
961 Posts
1. A new factory audio - if even available - would be VERY expensive.

2. If you cannot get the DVD to work properly, try contacting tech advisors at Crutchfield.com for recommendations.

·
Registered
34 Posts
btw new vents are $52 and they are called 'outlet assembly' in the Instrument panel section.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-p...9dG91ci1wa2ctbmF2JmU9NS1zcGVlZC1hdXRvbWF0aWM=
Yes, I've ordered 5 or 6 of these $48-54 outlets for my different MDX's before I learned about venttabs.com It got to the point that I'd ask the online dealer to check my purchase history and provide me a discount for repeatedly replacing a defective part, and they felt so bad they charged me only their cost. One time, I got the car wash to order both sides for me. They denied they broke them, then I showed them the broken pieces on the ground. Not really their fault - these tabs become dry and brittle with age, and the lightest wack while wiping down the dash will crack them into pieces.

I ordered MDX replacements from venttabs and can't tell the difference from the original. I still have my vent outlets in unopened packaging. I could sell them for half price. Whoever wants to buy a $52 vent for half price instead of a $7 tab can contact me. They will fit all years of gen 1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.