Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm sure some have read the chirp chirp issue I had with our 2016 MDX. I couldn't make this up if I tried but I'm back again at the dealership only this time it's the HVAC. When the front face setting is pressed air comes from the floor setting, When the floor setting is pressed air comes from the face setting. It does the same for the other settings. Acura Client Relations finally returned my call & they spoke with the service advisor. I have to bring it back in so they can keep it for a few days to see which part they will need to order but the computer scan code is pointing to an electrical part near the blower or a part of the HVAC system. Again, this is a brand new 2016 MDX manufactured in February & we leased it in March.Even our really good salesman said you're done aren't you? hmmm...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry man. This sounds like my 14 mdx from hell (see the thread). I'm not sure if ypu should be happy that you leased it, so it's their problem or pissed that you're locked into it for 3 years. My god, what has happened to Acura?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you. yes, even the person who checked me in for my appointment said ever since they moved their operations here the quality has gone WAY WAY down and they have been receiving a lot of complaints. I have nothing against cars built in America but my first Acura, a 2001 CL, had zero problems minus the transmission issue but even that was fixed. Our 2012 MDX had ZERO issues and i do mean zero. my salesman has a 2015 MDX but his was built in Canada. I just don't get it. Apologies for the rant but yes i'm int he lease for 2.5 more years. i told the district manager from acura client relations that i'd like to give the car back if i could. it's really not enjoyable and i've pretty much lost all confidence in Acura as a brand and doubt that our next vehicle will be an Acura. Maybe if they change their processes then i may give it another try but as of now i just don't understand how they're selling these like hotcakes yet people are having problems. nothing is perfect and the percentage may be small compared to the sheer numbers that are sold but things like this should not occur on a new vehicle when this is the 2nd update. i told client relations okay so lets say this problem is fixed, what's next? thank you all to those who have read and provided input. much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
my salesman has a 2015 MDX but his was built in Canada
All of the third gen MDXs are built in the USA - none are built n Canada. Was it the salesman who said his was built in Canada? The key word there is 'salesman'.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i received an update on the HVAC situation. Looks like there is a part near the blower that may have to be replaced. They are not sure since this is the first case. I knew they would have to take the dash apart to get to it but the tech said no we won't have to. Low & behold they have to take the dash apart. It could take a couple of days, it could take a week. All this time I'm saying how Range Rovers (Land Rovers) have these problems and here goes our MDX acting very Roverish. My mother-in-law has an LR4 that had a software glitch where all the dash lights came on, the right front passenger door lock became inoperative but that seemed to be about it. Not sure if we're going to stick with Acura once our lease is completed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Range Rovers tend to suffer from expensive electrical problems and they usually crop up after the warranty period. Sorry your MDX has been such a POS, can you lemon it? If its been in the shop for the same problem 3 times or 30 days total for multiple problems there is a good chance they will have to buy it back. You might need to get a lawyer.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Range Rovers tend to suffer from expensive electrical problems and they usually crop up after the warranty period. Sorry your MDX has been such a POS, can you lemon it? If its been in the shop for the same problem 3 times or 30 days total for multiple problems there is a good chance they will have to buy it back. You might need to get a lawyer.
1 The reputation of Range Rovers was built a long time ago and the newer ones are very different.

2 Unfortunately, most of the postings on this thread do not have locations in their signature but here in CA the lemon law only applies if the fault makes the car unsafe or unusable for an extended period (I think 30 days total).

·
Registered
314 Posts
1 The reputation of Range Rovers was built a long time ago and the newer ones are very different.
I disagree, I considered one and started following their forums. Overwhelmingly, electrical problems were the bane of even the newest models. If you think the chirps and the clunky shifts are bad on here, go read some of the complaints on their forums. Lots of people getting stranded on the side of the road with new or new-ish cars, or being in and out of the shop on a near constant basis.

I'm not saying the new MDX is bulletproof, clearly its had somewhat of a falloff in quality since moving to Alabama, but it would have to fall a lot further to be grouped together with brands like Range Rover, or even BMW for that matter.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

2 Unfortunately, most of the postings on this thread do not have locations in their signature but here in CA the lemon law only applies if the fault makes the car unsafe or unusable for an extended period (I think 30 days total).
You would be surprised what actually works to qualify as "unusable for an extended period" in CA. A rattle trap vehicle even works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, i was able to pick up our MDX today. the issue was the climate control part that went bad. It's located under the dash according to the service advisor. The climate controls work again and hopefully will continue to work. I also spoke with Acura Client Relations and they are waiting to see if the part will continue to work or fail. I guess life is good if these are my biggest problems but i'm in the what's next state when it comes to our MDX and it's really unfortunate that a company that sells so many of these vehicles a month could still have them roll off the assembly line with problems. I'm not saying everything is perfect but you'd think it shouldn't have to take a lot of owners to have a complaint for a company to finally take notice that their quality control needs to be in control of their quality. It's a great vehicle and i appreciate being able to drive one but still a bit hesitant regarding the brand as of late.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
well, i was able to pick up our MDX today. the issue was the climate control part that went bad. It's located under the dash according to the service advisor. The climate controls work again and hopefully will continue to work. I also spoke with Acura Client Relations and they are waiting to see if the part will continue to work or fail. I guess life is good if these are my biggest problems but i'm in the what's next state when it comes to our MDX and it's really unfortunate that a company that sells so many of these vehicles a month could still have them roll off the assembly line with problems. I'm not saying everything is perfect but you'd think it shouldn't have to take a lot of owners to have a complaint for a company to finally take notice that their quality control needs to be in control of their quality. It's a great vehicle and i appreciate being able to drive one but still a bit hesitant regarding the brand as of late.
So did they actually replace a part or did they just give it back to you with an old part that happened to work again?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They replaced the part with a new part. They said they've never seen this happen before but the scan was giving the code that the part was faulty. It's funny because i also own an FX45 with 229,000 miles that i continue to drive hard and it's never been to the shop like the MDX has in such short time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts