Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have searched and read several posts but I am not finding much. Does anyone know if it is possible to use the factory xm radio tuner or antenna with an aftermarket radio? I am looking to upgrade the factory radio (non-nav Bose) to a Pioneer unit with Apple air play and I would love to have satellite radio as an option, but I don't want to use a separate external antenna. Has anyone been able to use the existing tuner or dual antenna with an aftermarket radio or tuner? Many thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In my '01 I put in an aftermarket Kenwood with satellite radio, and Apple air play, but had to add antennas 1 for GPS and 1 for satellite - (see pics, 1 is lower right corner and quite out of the way, the GPS one is smack in the middle of the dash "for best signal reception" according to the installers). On the '01 there was only one antenna, for FM radio. [Note: When I dropped the photos to post, they rotated, not sure why.] I noticed the antennas at first after they were installed, but they quickly just became part of the landscape. On a very positive note, I love having Air Play and Sirius, and handsfree everything in my old car. I upgraded the speakers while I was at it, and now my car just rocks down the road, with Siri telling me how to get places and cool music blasting, thank you Crutchfield. This reply does NOT give you the answer you were looking for, just wanted to share my experience with the separate antennas (on the dash).

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and pics. I am going to try an inside windshield mount near the rear view window and will let you know how it goes. I purchased everything this evening and hope to finish the installation next weekend. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up mounting the SiriusXM antenna inside the windshield near the driver's side pillar using doubled sided tape/mounting tape. The antenna is almost hidden by the blacked out area of the windshield. I will post the rest of the install in a separate post. Thanks for your suggestion.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi...If your truck has XM from factory the receiver is behind the glove box. This cable would connect to the antenna wire coming from the shark fin and the other end would go to your new sirius receiver. I do not think that the factory XM tuner would work with an aftermarket radio without serious modification to it as it is designed to plug into the factory radio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts