Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any comments on a good aftermarket Transmission cooler. Im getting the Acura Hitch but do no see the need to shell out the additional $$ for the PS and Trans cooler by Acura, since I am only using the hitch for a bike rack. Although I do agree that a transmission cooler wont hurt anything, I dont see paying $190 for it. I have seen alot on the web for around $30. What do you think of this one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.performanceproducts.com/...cletype=SUV&keyword=&vendorid=&search=keyword

Im assuming, the medium duty one would suffice.

·
Registered
818 Posts
This looks like a far better trans cooler that the factory Acura cooler?
If you decide to install this one let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Should not be a problem. Hayden makes many types and are reasonably priced and available at Pep Boys, among others. Sometimes it's nice to see stuff on the shelf before buying.
RV parts stores carry lots, and are more knowledgeable on the use of coolers. There are thermostatic ones which only work after the transmission reaches a specific temperature.

Is your vehicle new? Just so you are aware that when the factory accessories are installed by the dealer on a new MDX they are covered by the bumper to bumper. Otherwise, it's 1 year.
I ordered the tow on mine, but if I was buying after delivery, I would do the same and look for an even better cooler.
I think I might still install the Power Steering cooler, it looks quite simple, and if Acura recommends it might be a good idea. They have those after market too.

http://www.haydenauto.com/engineoc.html

http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page15.html

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm really interested in doing this on my MDX and more on my mom's minivan. Can someone please give me a detailed description of how this is done? Sounds like you place the cooler in series with one of the lines that have transmission fluid running though it, but where is this line exactly? Where's the best place to position the cooler in the MDX?

Lastly, do people have experiences with these aftermarket coolers? They look like they're high quality, but what are your experiences with them? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I prefer the Hayden style...

MaD-X said:
I'm really interested in doing this on my MDX and more on my mom's minivan. Can someone please give me a detailed description of how this is done? Sounds like you place the cooler in series with one of the lines that have transmission fluid running though it, but where is this line exactly? Where's the best place to position the cooler in the MDX?

Lastly, do people have experiences with these aftermarket coolers? They look like they're high quality, but what are your experiences with them? Thanks.
The "mini-radiator design" tends to stay cleaner, inside & out.

Work very well, but placement can be problematic -- you put it someplace with good air flow and there's a high probablity it either a) blocks airflow to something else b) is a big ol' target for flying road debris... I'm sure that placement issues are why Honda went with the long tube style... If you gat the fully finned tube (like from PermaCool) the tend to get crud in the outside fins, and when you try to clean those fins they get all bent-up. The inside of the tubes also get *****...

As much as my thermodynamically schooled brain says that the Honda unit ain't as good, my "legal weasl alert" says stick to the simple Honda design...

As for your other vehicle, if Hayden doesn't offer a suggested application/mounting kit for Caravan I'd just poke around by the main radiator and see what kind of airflow there is & what space is available. Generally you can ziptie onto something in the 'good air'. RV shops with theri own service bay will often have experience with these even on Caravan's as die hard 'motor campers' swear by 'em.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I really wanted an aftermarket cooler, along with the PS cooler aftermarket as well. The Acura are questionable, IMO

I bought two coolers, and spent several hours trying to come up with a quality mounting solution. I could not come up with one for both coolers. ended up going to the Acura ones. And one advantage, if there are heat related trans/PS problems Acura can be held accountable.

Coolers from Tim are likely the way to go, unless VERY handy with making brackets (I did NOT want to use the radiator mounts that came with coolers, made me nervous)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
DaleB said:

I think I might still install the Power Steering cooler, it looks quite simple, and if Acura recommends it might be a good idea. They have those after market too.

Dale, did you get your towing package from the dealer?

Mine (towing from dealer) included the power steering cooler as part of the towing package. I believe Acura not only recommends it but it is required (as is trans cooler) with the tow package.

(Edited) Duh, after reading your post again I bet you probably are refering to upgrading your Acura installed coolers. Dumb me, you provide so much accurate usefull information to this forum I should have figured this out the first time.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Yes, I had the dealer install the towing package so everything would be under warranty.
I was commenting that if I did not do that I would probably look at other after-market coolers, including a power steering cooler.
I have all Acura coolers installed though, and the hitch which will not be installed until next week. It was back-ordered for almost 2 months.
Well, I should say back ordered for a month, it's taken the dealer another month to arrange installation at a Bay Area dealer. I bought the X in Palm Springs.
I will be so glad to finally get the hitch so the X will feel complete. Plus I can mount the Hitch Step I bought from Go Rhino and take pictures of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts