Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Got hit by a big rock yesterday and I have to replace my windshield . Any suggestions on whether I should go with OEM or after market windshield?I have to pay around $500 out of pocket for OEM.

The quote from insurance company is around $1200 for OEM and around $698 for after market. I have to pay the difference if I go with OEM. Please advise.

·
Registered
554 Posts
OEM the aftermarkets often wont work with the front facing camera. Either way the camera will probably need to be recalibrated after install. Tell your insurance co that non OEM will not allow your camera to work and see what they say.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'd go OEM.

The windshield in the MDX isn't just a piece of glass - it has a sound deadening design and material in it. There's also the potential issue of the camera calibration. Although $500 out of pocket is a pain, it's minimal relative to the cost/value of the overall vehicle so it's best to preserve it as it should be. Every time I drive the MDX I'm looking out the windshield - I want it to be as 'right' as possible.

Disclaimer - I haven't purchased an aftermarket (or even OEM) windshield for the MDX so I don't have direct experience with an issue with aftermarket in this application. I'd still go OEM though.

·
Registered
713 Posts
On my RL, after being jacked around by the local Safelite that my insurance company sent me to, I just went to the Acura Dealer and said replace. They replaced with a factory windshield and gave me a wholesale price. The end cost was about $100 more than the aftermarket that my insurance company was pushing on me. Had I gone there first the insurance company would have had to pay all but my deductible. Insurance windshields are a scam. The insurance company contracts with the glass company and they run the show. They have zero interest in anything but a profit for them which means the cheapest windshield they can put in. Just go with the correct windshield, and next time just take it to the Dealer. You'll have to pay them but the Insurance company will have to pay you all but the deductible in most states. The electronics will work too. Otherwise you will be back to the aftermarket glass co asking why the lane assist, steering, camera, automatic wipers etc don't function correctly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello everyone,

Got hit by a big rock yesterday and I have to replace my windshield . Any suggestions on whether I should go with OEM or after market windshield?I have to pay around $500 out of pocket for OEM.

The quote from insurance company is around $1200 for OEM and around $698 for after market. I have to pay the difference if I go with OEM. Please advise.
I had my 2017 windshield replaced. I went OEM. There is a lot of function in these windshields and I don’t want problems. There was no extra cost to me, but even had there been I would have gone OEM. The trouble came in with the re-calibration. Insurance company didn’t want to pay the Acura dealer rate. I wanted the re-calibration done by the Acura dealer. Took a bit of time but insurance company approved.

The actual insurance company payout was over $1900. You are quoted far less. Isn’t it strange all of these radically different quotes for the same repair. If I didn’t know better, I could become cynical of the system, grin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there anything on the acura manual or site that I can use to convince the insurance company that the electronics might not be supported if I don't use OEM? hoping they will cover the difference in cost.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Tell them there is a difference and you will not accept a cheap substitute. If they balk tell them that when the electronica will not work after they install the cheap replacement that their going to be stuck with replacing it again. After this is all done and finished go shopping for another insurance carrier. You can also ask them if they use cheap inferior body parts when repairing accident damage too!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Is there anything on the acura manual or site that I can use to convince the insurance company that the electronics might not be supported if I don't use OEM? hoping they will cover the difference in cost.

If you speak with the Insurance company they usually refer you to their contracted glass company. Starts with an S. When the RL glass chipped I took it to S who broke it. S wanted to use their Chinese glass to replace it. I told them Ok if they would PAY TO REDO IT if anything electronic failed to work due to unsupported functions. The local S glass company blamed the Insurance company and said they couldn't give me such a guarantee, maybe things might or might not work and then it would be up to the Insurance company to make good on that. I did a 3 way conference call because the glass company whose name begins with an S blamed Insurance and Insurance blamed the S company saying they had to guarantee it. S said in the call that we can't recommend the aftermarket if we have to guarantee everything will work like the original, the Insurance company said Ok we'll replace it with a factory windshield. Two days later we started the next round when both the Insurance company and the S glass company said the 3 way call never took place. I produced date time and names and then they again agreed to a factory windshield, Two days later round four when they denied either call had taken place. Once again names date and time. They then attacked me verbally saying I was trying to scam them with a better windshield than I had since the car was now close to 100,000 miles. That attack failed because I don't yield to personal attacks in a sales or service negotiation so I took it to the Insurance Commissioner who said they would handle it but never did. Finally after almost a month of trying to resolve it I took it to the dealer and said replace. They did, gave me a wholesale price on the glass, had their glass people install it and the difference was only about $100. I will NEVER deal with the insurance company again on a windshield that has electronics in it. Just take it to the dealer. The whole glass Insurance thing is a scam. I repeat, the glass insurance thing is a scam. The only reason those departments exist is to lower the cost to the insurance company. In the end we pay what it costs in insurance to maintain our cars.
Tell them there is a difference and you will not accept a cheap substitute. If they balk tell them that when the electronica will not work after they install the cheap replacement that their going to be stuck with replacing it again. After this is all done and finished go shopping for another insurance carrier. You can also ask them if they use cheap inferior body parts when repairing accident damage too!

This state of California has laws specifying what liability the Insurance company has and what guarantees in writing the Insurance company must give when using aftermarket parts. The whole thing is a scam. Not only did we not get it in writing, the State Insurance Commissioner's office said that they had spoken with Attorney for the Insurance company and I would have the written guarantee in 72 hours. Well it is about 5 years later and I have yet to see it. Democrats here in California pass laws they never intend to enforce unless it is one of their special agendas to collect more taxes or take away guns etc.. If you need a windshield just take it to the dealer, ask for a wholesale price on it and be done with it. Send the bill to the Insurance company and eat the difference if any.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
'sgkent' - That's quite a tale of frustration and disappointment at many levels.

When the RL glass chipped I took it to S who broke it.
My MDX had a chip in it and I took it to a company that starts with 'S" also, Safelite. They managed to fiddle with the chip without breaking the glass but I wished I would have just left it alone rather than take it to them for repair since they enlarged the chip and it's now a larger annoying blotch rather than what it was. It was even stable - i.e. it'd been there for awhile through summer extremes and winter and had not spread. I told the tech at their shop, who was a nice guy, that I was disappointed and dissatisfied since even though they gave me the standard disclaimer that the repair could result in breaking the windshield or making the chip worse (which it did), it came across as more of a disclaimer and the tech sounded very confident the chip repair would yield good results, which it didn't. I told him I would've liked more candid advice from an experienced professional even if it cost them me skipping the repair.

Windshields aren't all standard and the ones in the MDX are more complex than many even if one can't tell by looking through it. The sound deadening construction of it must be more expensive than some cheap form factor compatible windshield with a less complex manufacture.

We all paid a premium for the MDX and it's not just to get the Acura name (in my case it wasn't that at all) and we bought the higher end windshield, higher end interior, and a number of other higher end parts, materials, features, so it doesn't make sense to cheap out too much when it comes to a damage repair or a service item.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same issue about a week ago. Went round and round with my agent...but I kept using the word...'SAFETY'. If the insurance company wants to guarantee that the windshield will work safely as intended then I'll take their crappy Chinese copy. After keeping to my story...the windshield company called me a few days later and said that the insurance company has agreed to the OEM shield. Hmmm...wonder if they don't want to be responsible when the adaptive cruise or other functions don't work and cause an accident??? I also mentioned that Honda recommends OEM for safety reasons. Keep trying...don't install the cheap imitation. Everyone on this site has heard of my insurance company, but I hesitate to name it here.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am in Canada and have recently replaced it at dealer too. The cost was about 16xx with taxes included. My deductible was $300 so I saved a lot. I paid by myself first then submitted the claim directly to insurance. It was smooth and I got paid fast.

The dealer I went to actually outsource it to glass shop outside though. They had the guys going to the dealership and did it. The shop didn't do a great job on the moulding part. As a result, the moulding gasket near the hood on one of the sides is not secured. I asked the dealer to fix it but the second time it wasn't fixed either. I am still trying to get them fixing it but the service mgr is giving me ****. I am trying to find out if I can buy the part and fix it myself.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I am in Canada and have recently replaced it at dealer too. The cost was about 16xx with taxes included. My deductible was $300 so I saved a lot. I paid by myself first then submitted the claim directly to insurance. It was smooth and I got paid fast.

The dealer I went to actually outsource it to glass shop outside though. They had the guys going to the dealership and did it. The shop didn't do a great job on the moulding part. As a result, the moulding gasket near the hood on one of the sides is not secured. I asked the dealer to fix it but the second time it wasn't fixed either. I am still trying to get them fixing it but the service mgr is giving me ****. I am trying to find out if I can buy the part and fix it myself.

Ask the service manager why they think it isn't a problem. If the answer is unacceptable then tell the service manager no problem, that you will contact the owners of the dealership and take it to them. The owners of every company on earth hire managers to keep the public from bothering them with petty problems. If you contact the owners they will tell the SM to do his/her job. I had trouble with a dealership once - went to the owners and within a few hours everyone at the dealership was treating me like they should have to begin with. They stress like we do and sometimes they make bad decisions. Most people don't do it intentionally. You have a right to expect the work be done properly. If you get that one person who has a big head and says you can't talk to anyone higher than me, just tell them that you had no problem going straight to the service manager and that you have no problem going up the chain to the owner(s) either. I actually had to tell a guy once, "I had no problem going over the last guys head to get to you so you already know I will go over your head if we can't resolve this." No manager worth keeping wants to get a call from a his/her boss that they failed to handle a petty problem.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ask the service manager why they think it isn't a problem. If the answer is unacceptable then tell the service manager no problem, that you will contact the owners of the dealership and take it to them. The owners of every company on earth hire managers to keep the public from bothering them with petty problems. If you contact the owners they will tell the SM to do his/her job. I had trouble with a dealership once - went to the owners and within a few hours everyone at the dealership was treating me like they should have to begin with. They stress like we do and sometimes they make bad decisions. Most people don't do it intentionally. You have a right to expect the work be done properly. If you get that one person who has a big head and says you can't talk to anyone higher than me, just tell them that you had no problem going straight to the service manager and that you have no problem going up the chain to the owner(s) either. I actually had to tell a guy once, "I had no problem going over the last guys head to get to you so you already know I will go over your head if we can't resolve this." No manager worth keeping wants to get a call from a his/her boss that they failed to handle a petty problem.
i finally got it fixed by today. they are willing to fix it but heck it took them so long to get it done. they wasted me so much time to go back and forth

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

I just had my windshield replaced today at it cost me nothing. My 2014 MDX windshield had a long crack that obviously needed to be replaced. I used ALLSTATE insurance app to file for a claim and it led to me to Safelight. Total cost of replacement $1687. OEM windshiled - $1232. Labor - $170. ADAS system (new and calibration) - $250. Rain sensor kit -$35

USE ALLSTATE insurance. I called my agent and I was told that I have ZERO deductible on comprehensive coverage.
My deductible is normally $500. Call JASON HERBERS 630-796-7333 (Woodridge, IL) if you want your insurance with him. Tell him WILLIAM from ELMHURST, IL referred you to him. I did not even see this guy. All my transactions were just done over the phone several years ago. I had my auto and home insurance with him.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I think the state of Illinois specifies 0 deductible on comprehensive. I have StateFarm. Windshield chipped almost 2 years ago. Not an mdx. Safelite tried to fix it. This year the crack started to lengthen. I called StateFarm. In 3 days the windshield was replaced. OEM. They had confusion as to whether it was a new claim or a fix of an old claim. But they worked it out without me. Zero cost. 2018 BMW with LKAS.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think the state of Illinois specifies 0 deductible on comprehensive. I have StateFarm. Windshield chipped almost 2 years ago. Not an mdx. Safelite tried to fix it. This year the crack started to lengthen. I called StateFarm. In 3 days the windshield was replaced. OEM. They had confusion as to whether it was a new claim or a fix of an old claim. But they worked it out without me. Zero cost. 2018 BMW with LKAS.
I don’t believe IL requires it- it may be included in your particular policy though. IME, State Farm is usually excellent and easy to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here's my bill from last week for new OEM glass on my 2017 Base MDX (no rain sensing wipers).

Grand Total: $2,007.44 ($1,894.84 + $112.60 tax)

Thankfully I only paid $100 out of pocket.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I don’t believe IL requires it- it may be included in your particular policy though. IME, State Farm is usually excellent and easy to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t recall ever being given an option. They always talk about deductible on collision,but not on comprehensive.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree, Some states require zero deductible glass coverage. I had it when I lived in NY, when I moved Allstate sent me a letter alerting me that the new state didn’t require it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I pay insurance costs for three 4Runners (‘09, ‘12 & ‘15) and my MDX (‘20). I have a rider on my policy that I pay a nominal amount for that provides all OEM replacement parts if needed on my Acura.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts