Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yes this is it, you hit the nail in the head. Based on the current feedback here, the price range that I am looking for is between 45K-50K for 2019/2020 Advance (after consulting with my finance manager :)). This will help narrow down my search and hopefully get one before our trip to Yosemite. I'll bring my '12 TL during my visit/test drive and use it as a bait to get more leverage on the price but I have no plans on trading this in since my son is eying it once he goes to college this fall.
It's good to get pre-approved for 45k-50k, that way you have some wiggle room for price negotiations. But for actual price paid, I'd shoot for between 40k and 44k (who knows maybe you can even get one for less if they want to make a deal). But don't mention trade in at all until after you get the price to where you want it, then see what they'll consider giving you for trade.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts
It's good to get pre-approved for 45k-50k, that way you have some wiggle room for price negotiations. But for actual price paid, I'd shoot for between 40k and 44k (who knows maybe you can even get one for less if they want to make a deal). But don't mention trade in at all until after you get the price to where you want it, then see what they'll consider giving you for trade.
OP mentioned he isn't trading any vehicle in, rather giving it to his son.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
OP mentioned he isn't trading any vehicle in, rather giving it to his son.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
They also said use it as bait, which gave me the impression they'd be open to trading it if the offer was right and/or would use it as part of price negotiations.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
They also said use it as bait, which gave me the impression they'd be open to trading it if the offer was right and/or would use it as part of price negotiations.
I apologize I used the wrong term. No I don't have a plan of trading my '12 TL.
Yes, will definitely take your advise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you don't need one right now and there isn't a lot for selection on a used 2019 perhaps wait a bit and/or tell the dealer that's what you're looking for and they can keep their eyes open for one for you. Also look at new 2020s as there might be one with a good deal. Although with the Advance model, there is much less quantity made and are more scarce, so dealers may not be inclined to move to much on price.

For frame of reference, new in 2018 I paid 57k for my Advance SH-AWD with Entertainment (MSRP 61k). A lot of used listings right now are for around 48k, which doesn't look like as great of a deal. There are a few online with lower miles (15k or less) for around 43k, which seems like a good deal.

Also consider expanding your search online as some online dealers may transport, and/or your local dealer might be able to get it shipped.
I put a deposit down on a 2018 advance Shawd which cost me about 39k. I think it's a fair price..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I paid $42K for a new 20 a few months ago (SHAWD-Tech) if it's helpful. Perhaps they stopped the big discount they had going right when the new 22's were showing up. Not sure to be honest.
That's a pretty good deal almost 10K below MSRP. Yeah you're right, I kinda missed the boat. I had a couple of Advance model to check out this weekend and we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah you're right, I kinda missed the boat. I had a couple of Advance model to check out this weekend and we'll see what happens.
I spent six months looking for the best deals on used CPO's and then found buying new wasn't much more than the CPO. I guess be as patient as you can and just keep looking for deals. It's all timing and a bit of luck. With 22's rolling off the assembly line in greater numbers, I believe it plays in your favor, but new 20's might be in limited supply since they aren't making them any longer. Patience and dilliegence usually pays off in the end, but in all fairness, it's not easy when are eager to pull the trigger. I just hate buying vehicles with miles on them, even low miles if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I spent six months looking for the best deals on used CPO's and then found buying new wasn't much more than the CPO. I guess be as patient as you can and just keep looking for deals. It's all timing and a bit of luck. With 22's rolling off the assembly line in greater numbers, I believe it plays in your favor, but new 20's might be in limited supply since they aren't making them any longer. Patience and dilliegence usually pays off in the end, but in all fairness, it's not easy when are eager to pull the trigger. I just hate buying vehicles with miles on them, even low miles if I can avoid it.
Yep, that's a sound advise. I keep telling myself to wait and it will eventually come but the FOMO feeling is strong :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I found a couple of Advance and will check them out this weekend:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep, that's a sound advise. I keep telling myself to wait and it will eventually come but the FOMO feeling is strong :)
For me it was a weekly experience in frustration and walking out of showrooms, but in the end, I can only state that I'm glad I persevered and stuck to my guns for what I wanted and didn't settle in the least. Heck, the day I bought my MDX, I was at a KIA stealer across the street. Got frustrated with them thankfully, drove across the street to the MDX dealer and felt great in the end. :cool:

·
Registered
115 Posts

Yep....I also like carfax. Used Acura MDX for Sale Near Me (with Photos) - CARFAX

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info. Didn't know that carfax have it's own vehicle search feature.
I got a used 2020 mdx hybrid advance. I don't regret it for a minute. My friend has a 2019 mdx advance and says mine feels more responsive than his.

I would say, if you're heart isn't set on getting new, i would look for a 2019 or 2020 hybrid advance. I don't think there are any new ones available in the whole country. But if you expand your search to a larger area, you might be able to find a used one. Mine was 200+ miles away from home.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I paid $42K for a new 20 a few months ago (SHAWD-Tech) if it's helpful. Perhaps they stopped the big discount they had going right when the new 22's were showing up. Not sure to be honest.
Yours was a tech, base and tech trims they had a lot more volume so more vehicles to move and more competition, likely resulting in them being willing to offer bigger discounts.

Advance models are pretty rare, so not as much incentive for them to discount heavily.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I got a used 2020 mdx hybrid advance. I don't regret it for a minute. My friend has a 2019 mdx advance and says mine feels more responsive than his.

I would say, if you're heart isn't set on getting new, i would look for a 2019 or 2020 hybrid advance. I don't think there are any new ones available in the whole country. But if you expand your search to a larger area, you might be able to find a used one. Mine was 200+ miles away from home.
Only thing to consider with hybrid vs 3.5 is whether you need/want towing capacity as hybrid recommends no towing. If no towing or hauling over recommended weight (which is something like 1,500 lbs including all passengers and cargo) then hybrid is fine. If you want or need the extra flexibility of towing/hauling up to 3,500 or 5,000 lbs, then you should look at 3.5.

·
Registered
688 Posts

Those are both extremely low miles and would be great choices. See if you can get either to move on price, try to pit a few vehicles / dealers against each other and see how low they'll go. Having multiple options gives you some leverage when negotiating, mention there's another one down the road where they're willing to negotiate more on price and see what they do

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just paid $42.5k for a barely driven CPO 2020 SHAWD Tech. Though they did work with me on my trade-in. There are basically no discounts on pre-owned inventory of any sort right now.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts