Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Appreciate your feedback. It's been awhile that I bought a used car and timing doesn't help to. I did brought up the Mazda CX9 to my wife (since front looks similar to '22 MDX) but she (and I) are dead set on getting an MDX :).
Completely understand. MDX won me over too. Big reasons were the V6, SHAWD, LKAS, bigger feeling cabin, and better visibility. I also had a CX-5 at the time of my shopping, and CX-9 is essentially the same vehicle with extra space. Both cars have been excellent so far

Reactions: EkisPinoy25

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Right, there may be a few more at the 2 year mark (lease returns), but 1 year is more rare.
Yeah I agree. Based on the feedbacks and research, improvements made on 2019/2020 are significant that kinda directs to start on these model year.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yeah I agree. Based on the feedbacks and research, improvements made on 2019/2020 are significant that kinda directs to start on these model year.
If you don't need one right now and there isn't a lot for selection on a used 2019 perhaps wait a bit and/or tell the dealer that's what you're looking for and they can keep their eyes open for one for you. Also look at new 2020s as there might be one with a good deal. Although with the Advance model, there is much less quantity made and are more scarce, so dealers may not be inclined to move to much on price.

For frame of reference, new in 2018 I paid 57k for my Advance SH-AWD with Entertainment (MSRP 61k). A lot of used listings right now are for around 48k, which doesn't look like as great of a deal. There are a few online with lower miles (15k or less) for around 43k, which seems like a good deal.

Also consider expanding your search online as some online dealers may transport, and/or your local dealer might be able to get it shipped.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts
I just did a quick car search. There are still plenty of 2020 MDX SH-AWD w/ Adv on sale as brand new. And I also spotted some PMC Editions for sale brand new too. Not sure if you are willing to go the brand new car route.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I just did a quick car search. There are still plenty of 2020 MDX SH-AWD w/ Adv on sale as brand new. And I also spotted some PMC Editions for sale brand new too. Not sure if you are willing to go the brand new car route.
What kind of price are you seeing on new 2020 SH-AWD Advances?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If you don't need one right now and there isn't a lot for selection on a used 2019 perhaps wait a bit and/or tell the dealer that's what you're looking for and they can keep their eyes open for one for you. Also look at new 2020s as there might be one with a good deal. Although with the Advance model, there is much less quantity made and are more scarce, so dealers may not be inclined to move to much on price.

For frame of reference, new in 2018 I paid 57k for my Advance SH-AWD with Entertainment (MSRP 61k). A lot of used listings right now are for around 48k, which doesn't look like as great of a deal. There are a few online with lower miles (15k or less) for around 43k, which seems like a good deal.

Also consider expanding your search online as some online dealers may transport, and/or your local dealer might be able to get it shipped.
That's a good advise. Yeah you're right, lease returns for 2019/2020 will not be due either later this year or next year. There's a bunch of 2019/2020 SHAWD Tech available right now but leaning towards the Advance model due features/amenities. Thanks for the figures you've mentioned, this will help assess the price point I am willing to spend for this model. Yes I am also expanding my search and including online but feedback on VROOM and Carvana in Reddit is making me nervous.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks! I searched the 4 local Acura dealers within the Seattle Metro Area and I can't seem to find any Advance Model available? You mind sharing the URL?

·
Registered
688 Posts
That's a good advise. Yeah you're right, lease returns for 2019/2020 will not be due either later this year or next year. There's a bunch of 2019/2020 SHAWD Tech available right now but leaning towards the Advance model due features/amenities. Thanks for the figures you've mentioned, this will help assess the price point I am willing to spend for this model. Yes I am also expanding my search and including online but feedback on VROOM and Carvana in Reddit is making me nervous.
If you know you want a 2019 or 2020 used, and have a price point in mind, if you don't find one you're comfortable with locally it won't hurt to talk to your dealer and tell them what you are looking for. That way they can have their buyers on the lookout at auctions/lease returns and let you know when they find one.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
I just did a broad national search on new 2020 SH-AWD mdx and the price is between 56k and 59k. Both of which are 10k more then the 48k you could get a used 2019 or 2020 for. So unless they were willing to move a lot on price, it wouldn't make much sense to spend 10k more for brand new 2020 if you can get a low mileage used 2019 for 40k-45k.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts
I just did a broad national search on new 2020 SH-AWD mdx and the price is between 56k and 59k. Both of which are 10k more then the 48k you could get a used 2019 or 2020 for. So unless they were willing to move a lot on price, it wouldn't make much sense to spend 10k more for brand new 2020 if you can get a low mileage used 2019 for 40k-45k.
I am pretty sure dealers can knock down $10k off the MSRP price if they want the sale. Just gotta find that one sales manager and dealership willing to help out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If you know you want a 2019 or 2020 used, and have a price point in mind, if you don't find one you're comfortable with locally it won't hurt to talk to your dealer and tell them what you are looking for. That way they can have their buyers on the lookout at auctions/lease returns and let you know when they find one.
Thanks for the advise. Right now I am still gauging what's the price point for a used 2019/2020 MDX Advance. Based on the very helpful feedback from this sub I may come up with my price point, get pre-approved and then eventually will reach out to the dealer where I bought my '12 TL.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am pretty sure dealers can knock down $10k off the MSRP price if they want the sale. Just gotta find that one sales manager and dealership willing to help out.
I'd be surprised if they were willing to know 10k off their current price of 56k to 59k considering the low number of Advance models available. Doesn't hurt to try, but that might be tough to achieve. Even 5k off would be difficult I'd imagine (not factoring in "trade in" that they use for funny money).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'd be surprised if they were willing to know 10k off their current price of 56k to 59k considering the low number of Advance models available. Doesn't hurt to try, but that might be tough to achieve. Even 5k off would be difficult I'd imagine (not factoring in "trade in" that they use for funny money).
I am hoping with that I may qualify for some of the Acura Incentives. I've also see that if you go with Acura Financing that they will give additional discounts on the price. I'll find out once I start reaching out to these dealers.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks for the advise. Right now I am still gauging what's the price point for a used 2019/2020 MDX Advance. Based on the very helpful feedback from this sub I may come up with my price point, get pre-approved and then eventually will reach out to the dealer where I bought my '12 TL.
Well there's 2 parts of it. First there's how much are you willing to spend and can afford? Then there's how much are they actually selling for?

It would seem for a 2019 Advance SH-AWD (either Advance or Advance with Entertainment), a reasonable price range would be anywhere from 40k (which would be a very good deal or one with slightly higher miles) all the way up to 49k (which wouldn't be as great a deal). But do a lot of searching online if nothing else just to see what dealers are listing them for to establish that range. Then you know there's always a few grand in wiggle room on a used car potentially. Best advice is to negotiate price of car first with no trade in, and only after you get it to where you want then mention a trade in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well there's 2 parts of it. First there's how much are you willing to spend and can afford? Then there's how much are they actually selling for?

It would seem for a 2019 Advance SH-AWD (either Advance or Advance with Entertainment), a reasonable price range would be anywhere from 40k (which would be a very good deal or one with slightly higher miles) all the way up to 49k (which wouldn't be as great a deal). But do a lot of searching online if nothing else just to see what dealers are listing them for to establish that range. Then you know there's always a few grand in wiggle room on a used car potentially. Best advice is to negotiate price of car first with no trade in, and only after you get it to where you want then mention a trade in.
Yes this is it, you hit the nail in the head. Based on the current feedback here, the price range that I am looking for is between 45K-50K for 2019/2020 Advance (after consulting with my finance manager :)). This will help narrow down my search and hopefully get one before our trip to Yosemite. I'll bring my '12 TL during my visit/test drive and use it as a bait to get more leverage on the price but I have no plans on trading this in since my son is eying it once he goes to college this fall.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Also just for frame of reference my 2019 has just under 15k miles, which is very low (I work from home most of the time, don't take many trips and with pandemic last year didn't drive much). So judging mileage, anything with 20k or less miles I would say should qualify as low miles. Once you get up around 30k miles that's creeping up into high miles for a 2 year old car (depending on when it was bought, I bought mine in November 2018).

21 - 40 of 67 Posts