Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in Seattle Metro Area and would like to get your opinion on buying a used 2019/2020 MDX SHAWD Advance (or ASpec). The last time I bought a car was at least 7 years ago ('12 TL SHAWD Tech) so you can tell I'm a bit rusty and outdated with the current MDX market.
2022 is out f the picture due to price as well as first generation issues so I am looking at either 2019/2020 SHAWD Advance or ASpec. Hybrid is also an option but very rare in our area. I've been perusing the mainstream car shopping websites and there's a couple of MDX that caught my eye and would like your opinion about the price.

Independent Dealer 1:
Trim: 2020 MDX SHAWD Advance Miles: 7,000 List Price $ 49,648 + TTL
Acura Dealer 1:
Trim: 2018 MDX SHAWD Advance Miles: 30,000 List Price $ 43,995 + TTL
Acura Dealer 2:
Trim: 2020 MDX SHAWD Tech ASpec Miles: 8,000 List Price $ 48,998 + TTL

All of these have clean Carfax history and all are single owner vehicles and are Great/Good Buy either in KBB or Truecar.
I'm not sure if these prices are typical prices or are they higher due to low used car inventory. I'm thinking of buying within 30 days to be used for our family trip to Yosemite in middle of August.
-TIA

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,111 Posts
How much are you willing to spend? If anything I suggest the Advanced or ASPEC model. You'll get everything from the Tech model in both of them, plus the Adv. and ASPEC has low mileage on them.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: EkisPinoy25

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much are you willing to spend? If anything I suggest the Advanced or ASPEC model. You'll get everything from the Tech model in both of them, plus the Adv. and ASPEC has low mileage on them.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I am leaning towards the 2018 Advance but would also consider the other two if that's what the current market for MDX is going on.

·
Super Moderator
1,968 Posts
For the ones with Acura dealer, are they CPO? By just looking at the price, I don't see much discount on it as used car. I believe you could get the A Spec at that price as NEW if you did it earlier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the ones with Acura dealer, are they CPO? By just looking at the price, I don't see much discount on it as used car. I believe you could get the A Spec at that price as NEW if you did it earlier.
Thanks! Both cars from Acura dealer are CPO. That's what I'm afraid of. It's a sellers market for the used cars right now and was contemplating on waiting for another year to get one.

·
Registered
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Tech
125 Posts
To be honest, I think aspec models are a complete waste of money plus that rear end looks horrible to me. I’d go with option 2. All 3 of those prices seem high to me. I purchased a single owner 2019 SH-AWD with tech with 8700 miles on it for 39k in January. Not including TTL. I’m wondering if prices are jacked up due to the issues going on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest, I think aspec models are a complete waste of money plus that rear end looks horrible to me. I’d go with option 2. All 3 of those prices seem high to me. I purchased a single owner 2019 SH-AWD with tech with 8700 miles on it for 39k in January. Not including TTL. I’m wondering if prices are jacked up due to the issues going on.
Thanks for the feedback, this figure will definitely help once I proceed with the buying process.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Those seem very expensive, especially for used vehicles. For that money I'd be looking at new vehicles given that you should be able to finance a new car with 0-1% APR. Food for thought, a new fully loaded Mazda CX-9 Sig is $47k

Reactions: djmixmode

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, this figure will definitely help once I proceed with the buying process.
Mine came from Carvana (as my 2nd purchase with them) and not an Acura dealer so it was not CPO but to be honest, you’ll see a ton of posts in here complaining about CPO vehicles having all sorts of problems. I mean, if that’s important to you, have at it. I assume the warranty is the draw there, not the fact that they get some million point inspection.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those seem very expensive, especially for used vehicles. For that money I'd be looking at new vehicles given that you should be able to finance a new car with 0-1% APR. Food for thought, a new fully loaded Mazda CX-9 Sig is $47k
Appreciate your feedback. It's been awhile that I bought a used car and timing doesn't help to. I did brought up the Mazda CX9 to my wife (since front looks similar to '22 MDX) but she (and I) are dead set on getting an MDX :).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine came from Carvana (as my 2nd purchase with them) and not an Acura dealer so it was not CPO but to be honest, you’ll see a ton of posts in here complaining about CPO vehicles having all sorts of problems. I mean, if that’s important to you, have at it. I assume the warranty is the draw there, not the fact that they get some million point inspection.
I would assume that car from Independent Dealer is still under the original factory warranty. I am also looking at VROOM and Carvana and can be an option if it is within WA/OR area.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would assume that car from Independent Dealer is still under the original factory warranty. I am also looking at VROOM and Carvana and can be an option if it is within WA/OR area.
Yes totally. Mine still has the basic and power train warranty with plenty left but I believe if you purchase a CPO that gets extended to 7 years 100k.

·
Registered
704 Posts
There were some notable changes for advance models from 2018 to 2019+, so you may want to look for a 2019 or 2020 if price is somewhat comparable.

Specifically:
  • Real wood trim for center console
  • Wood trim color options are slightly different from earlier models
  • Painted (body color matched) lower trim/garnish around bottom of vehicle
  • Wider wheels/tires and new wheel design (FWIW i really like this wheel design)
  • ZF9 transmission has some hardware refinements (so more than updated software)
  • Improved stop/start sensors and performance
  • Driver and passenger seats have 12 way adjustment including 4 way lumbar vs only 2 way lumbar in 2018
  • Active dampers that integrated with IDS mode (Sport stiffens dampers, Comfort softens them up)
That's all that's coming to mind at the moment, although there could be others

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There were some notable changes for advance models from 2018 to 2019, so you may want to look for a 2019 if price is comparable.

Specifically:
  • Real wood trim for center console
  • Painted (body color matched) lower trim/garnish around bottom of vehicle
  • Wider wheels/tires and new wheel design (FWIW i really like this wheel design)
  • ZF9 transmission has some hardware refinements (so more than updated software)
  • Improved stop/start sensors and performance
  • Driver and passenger seats have 12 way adjustment including 4 way lumbar vs only 2 way lumbar in 2018
  • Active dampers that integrated with IDS mode (Sport stiffens dampers, Comfort softens them up)
That's all that's coming to mind at the moment, although there could be others
This is great. I haven't actually dive into details on each model/year but this definitely is a good start! Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
The part about the transmission refinements apply to all 2019 models which is why I went with that year over 2016-2018.

·
Registered
704 Posts
This is great. I haven't actually dive into details on each model/year but this definitely is a good start! Thanks!
Yeah, I was waiting for the 2019 MDX to come out back in 2018 when we were shopping for a new vehicle and when I saw the changes they made for 2019+ that really sold me and I jumped on the 2019.

I have a 2019 Advance SH/AWD with Entertainment. The active dampers really make a difference in ride in my opinion. I drive most of the time in Comfort mode and it's very nice. Even Normal mode however seems noticeable improved compared to the occasional "thunk" i'd hear on the 2018.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I was waiting for the 2019 MDX to come out back in 2018 when we were shopping for a new vehicle and when I saw the changes they made for 2019+ that really sold me and I jumped on the 2019.

I have a 2019 Advance SH/AWD with Entertainment. The active dampers really make a difference in ride in my opinion. I drive most of the time in Comfort mode and it's very nice. Even Normal mode however seems noticeable improved compared to the occasional "thunk" i'd hear on the 2018.
There's not much 2019/2020 Advance being sold in Seattle Metro Area. I'll be checking the one from the independent dealer this weekend and will pay attention on the shifting and overall ride quality.

·
Super Moderator
1,968 Posts
There's not much 2019/2020 Advance being sold in Seattle Metro Area. I'll be checking the one from the independent dealer this weekend and will pay attention on the shifting and overall ride quality.
Not many people turn in / trade up car in 1 or 2 years. Majority of them probably came from the loaner fleet.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts