Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a question on whether or not to bother putting any money into my MDX. I have a 2004 MDX Touring which I bought in February of 2013 from a local Maine Ford dealer for $8000.00. It had 116000 miles on it when I bought it. As part of the purchase, the dealer put a new tranny in it so I bought a vehicle with 116K miles but 0 miles on the trany! -- good deal huh? I now have over 170000 on it. I've driven it from Maine to Myrtle Beach and back, From Maine to Florida and back and taken several trips from Maine to Connecticut. The vehicle has always run great for me. During the time I have owned it, I have developed several dings, chips and even a rip on my passenger side front bumper cover ..... all done to me while parked... shopping center damage:(. The rear quarters where the steel meets the rear bumper covers is starting to get some rust and the hood is getting rust bubbles at the leading edge. ... these spaces appear to be common rust areas in this generation body style MDX. Next summer I was thinking about getting all the body work done on it, having it repainted and completely detailed inside. Is it worth it to put any money into a 2004 MDX with over 170K miles?

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's a personal choice and your financial situation and future financial plans need to be taken into account and I don't know these so I think you need to ask yourself a few questions 1st:

1. How much am I willing to spend to get all of the work I want done (remember, there are always "unseen problems" that will add to the cost of the work being done) and Where am I getting this money to spend (cash, loan, credit card)?

2. How much is it going to cost to have all of the work I want done(estimates)?

3. How long do I plan on keeping the car if I get all of the work done?

4. If I get all of the work I want done, are there other potential problems that will force me to spend more $ (the older the car and the more miles you put on it usually mean "yes")?

5. If I spend the $ to have it done, how much does it raise the value (if/when I want to sell it or trade it in)... Basically.... Is it worth doing it?

A couple others:

6. Is it paid-off or have you been making payments?
7. Are you open to selling or trading the '04 to get a newer model?

IMO: It would depend completely on the estimates you get and car value w/out repairs and with repairs: this is what I looked up for your car based on the information you posted:
KBB current condition = Fair private sale = $4100; fair trade = $3220
After work done = excellent p.s. = $5680; excellent trade = $4660

Having all the work done raises the value by $1400-1600. Based on what you would like to do my guess is it will cost you well over $1400-$1600.

I probably WOULD NOT DO IT. If it were a collector car maybe, but not an MDX.

If you love the car and it is mechanically sound then just keep driving it until it dies (I know, you want it to look nice... I could never do this either) or if you have the $, trade it in and get a newer model that you like.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts