Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my timing belt go out while my mdx was idling, 207k miles on it! I am unfortunately I'm love with my car still, so I decided to just replace the engine. I have a mechanic friend doing the swap, but I have to order the motor and have no idea where to shop for one? And also need to know the part# ? to be sure I get exact same motor to bolt up proper. Where can I find the #? Any suggestions would be appreciated.. Thank you??

·
Registered
777 Posts
First, have you done a compression test to make sure you bent valves? Or did you hear the "bang" indicating contact was made. Others have reported that at idle is your chances are decent no damage was done.

That said, finding a good used motor is somewhat of a crap shoot. LKQ is a good source and there are plenty of sellers on Ebay. Best practice would be to get the VIN for the donor car if possible and pull a CarFax to check for maintenance history, title history, etc. Watch out for flooded cars especially.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I appreciate the help. And no, I just read about interference motors and thought the expense of timing belt repair and miles on motor, would be better getting a new motor. What is the easiest way to check the valves? I also heard that a lot of mechanics may not be able to tell about the valve damage until they go through with the timing replacement? Which I would be out the 900 on that repair? So my guess is that one of those imported from Japan motors that have("approximately 55-65k miles")on them, which I have never heard of "approximate" miles on motors? Would be unwise? It is from a eBay seller? Only $ 1300.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The cheap way out would be to buy JUST a (cheap - $10.43 for the cheapest option from rockauto.com) timing belt, and re-time the motor, then spin it up to see if it's got good compression on all cylinders. Yeah, kind of a waste of time, but a WHOLE lot less effort than swapping a motor (makes my fingers itch just to type that). You'll spend 5x more time chasing little detail stuff swapping a motor than you would doing the "mini-timing belt" job, and then replacing it - and the water pump, tensioners, etc. for real.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If the engine is still strong, you might want to ask your buddy about a compression test and valve job to have any bent ones replaced, valves reseated. Maybe only a few are affected if any.

Heard good and bad about JDM engines. Though I might give one a try someday. Can come with a trans. The bad are mainly fakes or trashed. Be wary of eBay and craigslist. Research, Yelp, word of mouth, suppliers that actual shops use.

Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an 03 MDX with 102k miles with a the roof caved in about 6"...cheap.
One owner before me with a folder full of service receipts. Including recent timing belt and water pump(100k service).
good tires too!
Tampa area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts