Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello MDXers,

I'm set on getting a 2016 Navi and found a pretty decent deal, but it was previously involved in an accident. More of an 'occurrence', slid off a cottage road into a culvert due to newly laid gravel. I've attached the image of the damaged area, but it was repaired and the car drives like new. But, can anyone with mechanical know-how tell me if there could be any long-term damage from this that I'm not considering? Would this be a deal-breaker?

Thank you.

Edit: also attached repair invoice with details of what was fixed or replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If it's been in an accident, I'd walk away from the sale. MDXs are easy enough to find that it's not worth buying one that's been wrecked.

For that MDX, specifically, I'd RUN away. It had suspension and chassis damage. Replaced subframe? Yikes. Definitely NOT worth pursuing, imho.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anything can be worth it for the right price, but it would have to be much, much lower than ones from elsewhere before I'd even consider it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's been in an accident, I'd walk away from the sale. MDXs are easy enough to find that it's not worth buying one that's been wrecked.

For that MDX, specifically, I'd RUN away. It had suspension and chassis damage. Replaced subframe? Yikes. Definitely NOT worth pursuing, imho.
Part number 50200tz5a04 is the front suspension subframe, not the car's.

But fair points still. I'm thinking about it. It's about 7K less than a comparable one and comes with the 5000lb towing package, rails and racks.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It's hard to discern the damage from the pic and lists. I think the main points are -

- An adequate discount in cost compared to an accident free vehicle.

- How the quality of the repair/paint is and whether it's warranted - ex: if the paint starts flaking off or changes tint compared to the rest of the vehicle a year or 2 or 3 from now - will the repair facility redo it to make it right? Another ex: were the parts assembled completely with the proper gaps, etc.?

- Whether the vehicle drives okay and doesn't have any weird steering/pulling issues (see another thread on here where that OP has had a lot of issues after an accident - but every accident is different).

- Whether there's any damage that would affect the factory warranty. ex: if the repair work was done somewhere other than through an Acura dealer and you do run into some weird steering or other issues later, will Acura still fix that under warranty or will they call it 'due to the accident' and refuse to cover those particular issues?

Many people are driving vehicles every day that have been in accidents and they don't immediately sell the vehicle just because it was in a fender bender. The only difference between this one and those is that this happened to have the accident 'before' you bought the vehicle but once you buy it it'll be in the same category as just another vehicle driving around that's been in an accident and repaired. If you get adequate compensation and the repairs were done right and the warranty isn't impacted then you might have found yourself a decent deal (although I'm obviously not evaluating the numbers).

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well, I'm impressed by the level of disclosure on the part of the seller. But the take-home message from that photo is that the right front suspension was twisted, torn, and mangled! That "occurrence" had some pretty impressive forces for a "slide-off". This wasn't a "fender-bender" with minor cosmetic damage, this was a crash with major mechanical damage.

I don't see a drive axle on the list of replaced parts, but I see a torn or displaced CV joint boot with grease all over the place and the drive axle sticking out at a very strange angle. That drive axle plugs straight into the transmission. Might wanna think about that.

I've had the front wheels off our 2014 MDX lots of times to swap winter wheels, and that's really not what any of that is supposed to look like.

I agree 100% with p07r0457, don't walk, run!

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you Google the vin number and go to Google images you may find photos of the damage. This may help you see the extent of it visually.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Very torn on this one. The repair was done at the dealer and was restored to factory condition. I’m having my mechanic inspect it, he’s a friend so I’ll get some first hand professional advice.

He saw the photo and repair invoice and wasn’t worried. It’s a leased car, so the dealer would have made sure the repair brings it back to original condition.

I’ll admit that the deal is a huge part of what’s attracting me to the car. We keep our cars for quite a while, so maybe I should just listen to you’all. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is, it's not like the car suffered psychological damage. It's bent metal bits that have been replaced with straight metal bits. Water damage or electrical issues would be something I'd run from, but I don't see much to be concerned with here. You're paying a reduced price and as long as you know resale/potential buyer pool down the road will suffer.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is, it's not like the car suffered psychological damage. It's bent metal bits that have been replaced with straight metal bits. Water damage or electrical issues would be something I'd run from, but I don't see much to be concerned with here. You're paying a reduced price and as long as you know resale/potential buyer pool down the road will suffer.
Warranty? There are some pretty big and expensive bits that haven’t been replaced, but could have hidden damage. But risk assessment is a personal choice.

BTW mental illness is not something to joke about.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’d keep the car until it was about 10 years old, at which point things like this don’t matter as much at resale.

Warranty? There are some pretty big and expensive bits that haven’t been replaced, but could have hidden damage. But risk assessment is a personal choice.

BTW mental illness is not something to joke about.
Which bits would you be referring to?

This was repaired at the dealer, so maybe I’m blindly assuming that it was brought back to factory spec? Why wouldn’t they, if the leasee’s Insurance is paying for it?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
This was repaired at the dealer, so maybe I’m blindly assuming that it was brought back to factory spec? Why wouldn’t they, if the leasee’s Insurance is paying for it?
1. Insurance doesn't usually pay to bring something back to "factory spec". I know we like to believe that, but it doesn't. Most insurance policies won't even pay for OEM parts.

2. In addition to preferring non-OEM and used parts, insurance companies are infamous for telling repair shops not to replace parts if they haven't completely failed. Plastic bits that were involved in the accident and may even show "white lines" from stressing? Probably won't get replaced if they didn't actually break -- even though they've been weakened.

3. Dealers often don't perform routine services correctly. What makes you think they could accurately refurbish a vehicle to "factory" condition? I bet you some shops will admit that even if they wanted to they couldn't make a vehicle perfect after it's been wrecked.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind, so by all means go enjoy your MDX. I'm just saying that I would absolutely walk away. It isn't hard to find an MDX. Go find a good one. It doesn't matter how "great" you think the deal is... It probably isn't.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Which bits would you be referring to?

One bit I would be worried about is the transmission. Because I don't think it's a particularly robust unit, and if it develops problems down the road you could be in for a real battle over warranty coverage. My specific concern is that abnormal forces applied to the right front driveshaft may have been transferred to the final drive section of the transmission. And I'm guessing the leasee's insurance will lose interest pretty quickly once the thing leaves the shop and changes ownership. Good luck getting an addendum claim funded a year or two down the road.

Another bit is the unit-body of the vehicle. That front subframe has engineered attachment points to the rest of the vehicle, and if the subframe was damaged, those anchor points may have been tweaked as well. Same with the upper front strut mounts. The bottom line is that a lot of force was applied to the vehicle in ways it wasn't designed to resist. I think that right front hub was nearly torn off the vehicle.

But I'm not a professional mechanic, just a rather nit-picky car fanatic. I could be completely off base about this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts