Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2008 MDX Sport with 123K miles. While the vehicle appears to have been well maintained, I am unable to find any records that the timing belt has been replaced by previous owners. My local dealer inspected it prior to purchasing it and obviously recommended that I change it the timing belt and water pump.

The Acura dealer quoted me $1,200 to change the timing belt and water pump and an additional $200 to change the tensioner. The local shop (NTB) that I normally use for maintenance quoted me $950 ($452 for kit and $405 for labor (3.8 hours)) to change the timing belt and water pump.

Questions:

- Do these quotes seem reasonable?
- Is there a significant benefit from having the Acura dealer perform the work and pay the extra $$$?
- Would a local shop like NTB be able to perform the work worry-free for myself?
- I would like to use OEM parts. What is the best and most reliable kit for long-term reliability?
- Can anyone share a recommended site and/or a link to purchase the OEM kit?

Any additional advice and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If there is not documented proof of a timing belt change, then I would absolutely change it. I would change, at least, the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, spark plugs, coolant, and do a valve adjustment. Do you have proof of the brake fluid and power steering fluid changes within the last 2 years? If not, do those, as well. Do you have proof of the transmission fluid being changed in the last 30k miles? If not, do a 3x3 drain/fill.

Those quotes are in line with what I'd expect to see.

Personally I'd DIY all of this. If you're not comfortable doing that then I'd use the dealer over NTB. I would never trust a timing belt and valve adjustment to NTB.

OEM parts are always a safe choice. Aisin is also a common recommendation, on this forum. Personally I like OEM for my vehicles, but I've done the timing belt for friends and family and when they want to save some cash I'll use the Gates kit with great success. www.RockAuto.com is my preferred vendor for aftermarket parts. I use www.acuraoemparts.com for OEM stuff.

Reactions: RainGoat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and information. I have been able to trace maintenance being performed by using the car fax report and calling dealers. P/S pump and fluid, and transmission fluid has been changed. I had the brake fluid changed recently. I will need to go back to my notes to see if other maintenance was done the last 30K miles.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks for the reply and information. I have been able to trace maintenance being performed by using the car fax report and calling dealers. P/S pump and fluid, and transmission fluid has been changed. I had the brake fluid changed recently. I will need to go back to my notes to see if other maintenance was done the last 30K miles.

I whole heartedly endorse ALL of the above. A broken timing belt can mean a broken engine. I shopped around 5 dealers in the greater Seattle area & still paid slightly more than you were quoted. My rear main seal was leaking as well, so I did that too. I also did the rear diff, TF case & front tea box. Following are some of my notes:

Timing Belt $450 ($810-$360), WaterPump $440, Tensioner $70, Serpentine Drive Belt & labor $190 $1,[email protected] of Lynnwood
Included Engine Oil & Filter & Coolant Drain & Replace

AWD $145 (Transmission 8.5qt capacity, only 3qt/change, rec [email protected]$65 + Rear Diff $80). No F Differential, just a gear box, would only need pint =$20 Brake fluid $110
[email protected] Honda Mechanic

BTW, I too use RockAuto & the listed Acura site for parts on stuff I do myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found my local Acura dealer had a coupon for timing belt, water pump, tensioner and coolant replacement for $900. Just had it done yesterday $974 out the door with OEM parts. Thanks for the replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts