Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I currently have a '14 MDX and we are looking to trade. A dealer nearby has offered a '16 base SH-AWD for $39,995. My question is this a worthwhile price on an outgoing design? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Personally, no. Especially considering you could get a brand new one with tech for only $5k more. A 16 is not different enough either.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We prefer the base over the tech because I personally can't justify the increased cost for nav, blindspot, and the unlock sensors in the handle for the back seat. This 16 that we are looking at is brand new. I'm just trying to work through whether or not to keep the 14 or trade for the 16 or 17.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Your 2014 s/b fine for a long time to come. You already took the biggest depreciation hit - why do it again for something so soon - especially something that's almost the same as what you already have? On top of that you'll lose even more by getting bottom dollar by trading in versus a private party sale. The most expensive way to own vehicles is to buy new every 1-3 years and trade in the old one each time - or leasing.

Are you one of those who racks up ridiculous miles or something? Do you think your 2014 is worn out?

I have a 2014 (37K miles) and it still feels and acts new to me - I plan to keep it for some years longer.

Why are you 'looking to trade'?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 14 has almost 73k because my wife had to drive long distances for work the first two years we had it then we got a stop driving with passengers notice on my other Honda vehicle due to the airbag recall which changed our everyday family car to the MDX. My thinking is purchase a brand new MDX that I know I'll like because our driving distances have gotten a lot better plus we can enjoy a warranty again instead of sprinting through it. Would I call it "worn out?" No, but the idea of starting over is enticing.

As for the trade, the dealer has offered about $2,000 over the retail value on NADA. More than likely we will stick with the 14 but I needed a place to write all my thoughts out and get feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Doesn't seem you will be gaining anything other than the new car smell, 9AT, and higher car payments. Don't know if your current 14 MDX has sh-awd. If not, the 16 MDX with sh-awd would give you a spare tire and 3500lbs-5000lbs of towing.

Your 14 MDX is in the sweet spot for cost of ownership. The most you will have to worry about are A/B oil changes and the big service around 100,000 miles. After the big 100K service, back to A/B M.I.D. maint for another 30K-50K.

I have an 11 MDX with +87,000 miles and I don't think I can do anything new or different in +16 MDX to make me want to upgrade at a higher car payment. I'm waiting for the all new 4th Gen 2020 MDX to see the improvements in few years. Nothing new under the sun, I will look into a used 17-18 MDX or new(er) 19 MDX when the time comes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I traded my 14 MDX FWD Tech for a 16 MDX AWD Tech AWPLUS. I wanted AWD and my FWD had 48k miles, I needed new tires $1000, oil change $60 and front brakes $250 so I got a trade in of $27500 and the 16 MDX had 1400 miles it was a loaner I paid $44800 sticker was $51500 and adds of paint protection, door guards, rubber mats. It was certified so I got extra year on both warranties. So I figured tax savings on trade in of $2200 vs out right sell. They also where able to get 2.3% financing.. so I thought I did ok on the deal. I drove my MDX for 3 years and put 48k miles on it.. but the new 16 upgrades of 9 speed transmission, New SHAWD, Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow, Collision Mitigation Braking, Forward Collision Warning, Lane Departure, cross lane view, rear view mirror, easy exit driver seat, newer infoconnect is what convinced me.. You just have to weigh all the stuff to see if it's worth it to you. I also switched all my stuff from my 14 MDX fog lights, remote start, running boards, roof rack, trailer hitch which was another 16 easy switch over.. saved me more..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts