Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2008 Acura MDX with tech package for sale. It has 83,000 miles on it, and they're asking $14,500. It has not had the timing belt change on it yet. The owner said that their mechanic told them it does not need to be changed yet. The vehicle has never been wrecked. What questions should I ask the owner? My current vehicle is an '05 Tundra with about 180,000 miles. What maintenance costs should I expect over the next 50,000 miles, aside from the timing belt? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That MDX is overdue for timing belt change. You should account for that cost when making your offer, as it needs to be done asap. (it's exceeded the 7 year or 105k interval)

Are there service records for the other fluids?
Transmission
Transfer case
Brake
Power steering
Rear differential

·
Registered
695 Posts
That MDX is overdue for timing belt change. You should account for that cost when making your offer, as it needs to be done asap. (it's exceeded the 7 year or 105k interval)

Are there service records for the other fluids?
Transmission
Transfer case
Brake
Power steering
Rear differential
+1. Their mechanic is wrong...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they don't have the service records for those fluids, then that would mean that I'll have to assume it hasn't been done. In that case, should I even consider the vehicle? What would be a fair offer in this instance?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If they don't have the service records for those fluids, then that would mean that I'll have to assume it hasn't been done. In that case, should I even consider the vehicle? What would be a fair offer in this instance?
Personally, I wouldn't offer anything close to "market" price on a vehicle where I didn't have confidence that services were performed. I'd also be cautious of someone willing to accept well below market price on a vehicle, unless I knew "why" (and believed it). Ultimately, I'd probably walk away from this one.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
find out if this car still has the original BLUETOOTH/HFL module installed in it....this module has been manually removed by many 2nd gen. MDX (esp. 2007-2009 models) owners due to its tendency to DRAIN the mother life out of your battery, potentially driving you nuts until you pull it out yourself!!! (class action lawsuit filed against HONDA for this very same, KNOWN flaw!!!!)...i've been driving my 2009 MDX for the past nearly 3 years now without the HFL module, which I really wasn't using much anyhow!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
find out if this car still has the original BLUETOOTH/HFL module installed in it....this module has been manually removed by many 2nd gen. MDX (esp. 2007-2009 models) owners due to its tendency to DRAIN the mother life out of your battery, potentially driving you nuts until you pull it out yourself!!! (class action lawsuit filed against HONDA for this very same, KNOWN flaw!!!!)...i've been driving my 2009 MDX for the past nearly 3 years now without the HFL module, which I really wasn't using much anyhow!

I doubt the owner knows if it is still installed or not; it looks like they purchased it from CarMax a couple of years ago. I'm going to go check out the vehicle tomorrow. Is there an easy way to tell if it is still installed?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I doubt the owner knows if it is still installed or not; it looks like they purchased it from CarMax a couple of years ago. I'm going to go check out the vehicle tomorrow. Is there an easy way to tell if it is still installed?
that depends on what you'd consider 'easy'....hopefully the owner will allow you/themselves to do the following....(relevant portion of related video below starts around 36 seconds into it....) :29:

(more than likely, the original owner is HOPING that you don't know and/or have any questions/concerns at all regarding his/her car's notorious HFL/Bluetooth module!!!....lol)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that depends on what you'd consider 'easy'....hopefully the owner will allow you/themselves to do the following....(relevant portion of related video below starts around 36 seconds into it....) :29:

(more than likely, the original owner is HOPING that you don't know and/or have any questions/concerns at all regarding his/her car's notorious HFL/Bluetooth module!!!....lol)

Wow, good info! Was there there never a recall from Honda / Acura to replace it? If not, is there an aftermarket solution?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
i don't think Honda/Acura did anything to replace/improve upon the part...i'm probably in the majority of other affected 2nd gen. MDX owners who have been just as content to pull the HFL module out and be done with it for good!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Wow, good info! Was there there never a recall from Honda / Acura to replace it? If not, is there an aftermarket solution?
Unplug it. Easy. Done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see that this model doesn’t allow Bluetooth streaming, but there is an adapter from USA Spec that enables this. Do any of you have any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I see that this model doesn’t allow Bluetooth streaming, but there is an adapter from USA Spec that enables this. Do any of you have any experience with this?
Yes. It works fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts