Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope to be an MDX owner by this time next week...I've been doing quite a bit of research over the past few weeks and have it narrowed down to 3 options. I have not seen any of them yet in person; we planned on checking them out this weekend.

2006 Touring with Navi and Res (2 of them)

1. Red, 41k, one owner. It is not currently at an Acura dealer; but it was listed as a CPO at an Acura dealer a month ago. Must have been sold at auction to get where it is now. Listed at $23K

2. Gray, 56k, one owner. Also not at an Acura dealer; but the Carfax shows it was serviced religiously at an Acura dealer...not only that; but the closest Acura dealer to me and the one I would probably use for service. Listed at $21.6K

2008 Technology with power tailgate

Black, 71k, have asked dealer for full Carfax. Not at an Acura dealer. Still unsure about the history. Listed at $23K, which seems very low even with the miles

I am leaning towards the gray one, because even though it has 15K more miles than the red one, it is more local, and it has a history at the Acura dealership that I would most likely use for service. The red one looks nice, and the mileage is exceptional (it was registered in Greenwich, CT)...it is 40 hard miles away as opposed to 15 miles for the other 2006.

I'm wary of the 2008 due to the high miles; but the price makes it hard not to consider. Are there real advantages to the 2nd generation over the 2006 models?

Thanks in advance for your help, and I hope to be an active and contributing member to these forums before long.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's weird that the 2008 has such a low price. I'm leary of that in the first place. I did a quick carmax search on 2008 MDX prices in my area (NoVa) and nothing came close to 23G. I saw 27G thru 34G. The 27G price came with miles in at 73,000 which is even more than the one you are looking at. That being said, there are quite significant differences between 1st Gen and 2nd Gen (started in 2007) models and you need to sort that out first. This is the right place to find that information. Good luck..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh; I'm aware of the differences...style wise I like both vehicles; from what I can tell there are no options that I'd like to have that I'm truly leaving off the table with the 2008...just curious for an opinion from people who may have a lot of experience with both generations.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered the CARFAX myself.

It was a fleet vehicle, and all 71K was put on between 7/1/08 and 6/1/10. No service records on the CARFAX except one at a local Acura dealership just before it was put up for sale. This note from 11/2008: "Accident reported Involving side impact It hit a motor vehicle"

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
All things being equal, I would take the 08. The ride of the 2nd gens is so much better than the 1st gens. Of course not all things are equal. Drive them all and see what you think.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Grey gone

well, the gray 2006 one was sold, so now it seems to be down to 2.
You liked both 1st and 2nd gen X, preferred the grey over red, but grey is gone, so now it's red (not preferred for whatever reason) over a black 2nd gen.

Fleet vehicles, that means plenty of stop and go at times, but also a lot of highway miles. It was a work horse and probably will show it's mileage more than a 1-owner personal car. I would imagine little dings, little scratches and such, which will be why the price is so unusually low. Plus the reported accident of course.

When we were looking for a 3rd row vehicle to replace our RX, the 2006 was the year that we would have bought, had we purchased pre-owned. It's last year, it has the rearview camera (with Tech), and was solid. Of course, once we hit the dealership and all said and done, we ended up getting a new 2010 X. It's that much better and the power tailgate is a big nice to have. Didn't think I'd use it all that much, but it's gotten me mighty lazy... :)

If the '08 is not all beat up... test drive it and if you like it, then go for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice, all. We can't get to see the red one until Saturday; I can check the 08 on my way home from work tomorrow or Friday. Worse comes to worse, if I really like the 08 I'll put a deposit on it before I check out the 06.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do drive a lot; but this will be my wife's vehicle. She only commutes about 160 miles a week, vs my 400.

And to me, the 100k service where I have to replace a timing belt is a small price to pay...I've had a timing CHAIN snap and ruin the engine. That is one service I will NOT be overlooking!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So an update...

We decided on the loaded red 2006 with 41K. Called up the dealership, asked them to hold it for us, lined up financing, and told them we would be there Saturday afternoon and would take the vehicle unless something was terribly wrong with it.

We drove the 40 miles to the dealership...and immediately understood why the vehicle hadn't sold in so long. Two of the rear seatbelts were almost completely chewed through, the rear doors were completely scratched up on the inside, there were two scratches/dents on the bumper (obviously they didn't utilize the backup camera), and it was smoked in. We didn't even drive the car; expressed our disgust that they would even show us a vehicle in this condition, and left.

I had been in contact via email with a Honda dealer about 5 miles away from the first dealer who had a used 2007 in stock. As far as he knew, I was coming this afternoon. So we went...walked around the lot, no MDX. Turns out they shipped it to another one of their dealerships, even though they knew I was coming specifically to look at it.

We drove to a 3rd dealership closer to our home; an Acura dealership and the one we would end up using for service. There we found a 2006 Touring with 60K, no Nav or DVD, for what ended up being $20,800. They gave me a grand for my beater (a 2000 Sable with 162K and we left with the MDX. Happy we ended up where we did, and happy to be able to be a participating member of this forum in the future!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got my hands on the TSB...theoretically, this should have been done on this vehicle already as it was purchased CPO from an Acura dealership. I'll verify with them when we bring it back for floor mats/detailing (we kept them until after close on Saturday and they didn't have any 2006 floor mats in stock). Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. You are going to like it a lot. Fantastic low mileage, fantastic price.

I bought a 2005 a year ago, no CPO, sketchy records, with 82,000 miles, now at 104,000. Only two minor issues, the outside temp sensor and vent registers, both fixed DIY.

I installed an auxiliary in-line transmission filter, considering all the bad press about the transmissions. Might help but can't hurt. I also use the drive around town in D-4 and D-5 only at interstate speeds technique.

I don't what to think about the transmissions. They sold, what, 160,000 or more 1st gen models. I do not know the percentage, but 100% of them do not have bad trannys.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Technically, the 2001-2003 were 1st gen, right? 2006 would be 2nd gen?

Anyways, congrats on your new MDX. That's what I would have done, also. Good thinking, and good job rejecting the first red one due to all the problems.

Given all else equal in quality, I would have decided on the seating position: do you like sitting in a car, or truck? 2004-2006 sit more like a truck, upright. 2007 - 2010, and now 2011+ all sit "down and back" a lot lower like a car.

What color? Pics!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Technically, the 2001-2003 were 1st gen, right? 2006 would be 2nd gen?
I 'm not sure. I was lumping 2001 - 2006. 1st gen body style.

From what I have read on this forum, 2001 - 2003 transmissions are notorious but not so much 2004 - 2006, and they get better every year after that. Whatever year model, it's a highly reliable vehicle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts