Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
It’s still a $10,000 discount. That’s a great price for what it is.
That may be true, but it’s not a unique discount per se in a lot of areas. The demand in Chicago (for example) is for Tech, Hybrid and Advance models, making prices softer on the base models. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
That may be true, but it’s not a unique discount per se in a lot of areas. The demand in Chicago (for example) is for Tech, Hybrid and Advance models, making prices softer on the base models. YMMV

But you have seen on here that people are getting pretty good deals. Even on hybrids. Much more so than when I bought mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree that demand for specific trims plays a part in the current specials. I was undecided on whether to purchase the Advance or the A-Spec, and within 2 weeks, the supply dwindled down to almost nothing. Still got a decent deal on my A-Spec (~$14k off sticker) but they had to dealer locate the one I wanted from a dealership over 200 miles away. But there were quite a few Base and Techs to be found.

Corey
2016 BMW 428ix Gran Coupe
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2019 Acura MDX A-Spec

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Agree that demand for specific trims plays a part in the current specials. I was undecided on whether to purchase the Advance or the A-Spec, and within 2 weeks, the supply dwindled down to almost nothing. Still got a decent deal on my A-Spec (~$14k off sticker) but they had to dealer locate the one I wanted from a dealership over 200 miles away. But there were quite a few Base and Techs to be found.

Corey
2016 BMW 428ix Gran Coupe
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2019 Acura MDX A-Spec
These prices don’t make any sense to me. I’ve never heard of discounts like that. These look like Chrysler discounts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Couple things that helped get the deal done: 2020 models were already hitting the lots so dealers needed to clear remaining 2019 models, and the best deals were if you structured the deal as a lease (highest dollar incentive received) then refinance once the paperwork cleared. Acura doesn’t have prepay penalties so as long as they get the balance owed, you’re all good. The part that sucks is that lease money factors and interest rates are fairly high right now(4-5% range).

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
It appears pretty clear from the ad posted that Acura makes the most money if one leases, the second most if one finances through them, and the least if one pays cash. But some of us knew that anyway. Some of the true cost of ownership is obfuscated in leases especially and not so much obfuscated but less of an emotional impact when the cost is discussed in terms of 'monthly payments' of a financed vehicle rather than paying cash for the full price.

It's through these practices that they know they can essentially up-sell many/most purchasers and essentially sell them a higher cost item than if they had the true emotional impact, and practical hit, of paying the entire cost at once.

It appears that some here are playing a game with Acura by getting a discount initially due to a finance situation then pre-paying it right away. I wouldn't do that without doing the math to make certain it really works but if it truly worked I might do it rather than paying cash, which is the route I think is best since it forces one to truly assess whether the vehicle is worth it to them based on their financial situation.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
It appears pretty clear from the ad posted that Acura makes the most money if one leases, the second most if one finances through them, and the least if one pays cash. But some of us knew that anyway. Some of the true cost of ownership is obfuscated in leases especially and not so much obfuscated but less of an emotional impact when the cost is discussed in terms of 'monthly payments' of a financed vehicle rather than paying cash for the full price.

It's through these practices that they know they can essentially up-sell many/most purchasers and essentially sell them a higher cost item than if they had the true emotional impact, and practical hit, of paying the entire cost at once.

It appears that some here are playing a game with Acura by getting a discount initially due to a finance situation then pre-paying it right away. I wouldn't do that without doing the math to make certain it really works but if it truly worked I might do it rather than paying cash, which is the route I think is best since it forces one to truly assess whether the vehicle is worth it to them based on their financial situation.
Anyone buying the car should be doing the math. As I have stated before,with interest rates so low and the stock market still doing well, I don’t see paying cash.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
As I have stated before,with interest rates so low and the stock market still doing well, I don’t see paying cash.
I know you and I've discussed this before but don't discount the reality that many people spend more than they really should simply because they're looking at it as 'monthly payments' rather than the actual cost - it's a real aspect of the car selling and buying business and how it plays with psychology and emotions. In addition, unfortunately, stock markets don't always go up . Just as I wouldn't purposely leverage myself as much as I could by borrowing as much as possible on my house, cars, and everything else I own to try to leverage a 'possible', but not 'certain' positive delta in interest rates between the stock market and everything else, I won't play that game with a car purchase either. A lot of people lost almost everything they had by playing that game leading up to 2008 and at other times. I hope it works out for you though.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I know you and I've discussed this before but don't discount the reality that many people spend more than they really should simply because they're looking at it as 'monthly payments' rather than the actual cost - it's a real aspect of the car selling and buying business and how it plays with psychology and emotions. In addition, unfortunately, stock markets don't always go up . Just as I wouldn't purposely leverage myself as much as I could by borrowing as much as possible on my house, cars, and everything else I own to try to leverage a 'possible', but not 'certain' positive delta in interest rates between the stock market and everything else, I won't play that game with a car purchase either. A lot of people lost almost everything they had by playing that game leading up to 2008 and at other times. I hope it works out for you though.
I lost money in 2008. But it came back. It usually does. I never said leverage yourself as much as you can. You have to be responsible. I never borrowed extra money on my house to invest in the market.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This seems to be throwing a lot of unnecessary nonsense and assumptions into the discussion. It’s not about how much $ someone should be spending on a car (or looking at their portfolio).

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
It’s not about how much $ someone should be spending on a car
The thread is about how much a car costs and thus what one spends. I was just pointing out the difference between the cash/finance/lease costs as illustrated in the link the OP posted - i.e. the thread starter. If you don't like what I wrote go ahead and ignore it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The thread is about how much a car costs and thus what one spends. I was just pointing out the difference between the cash/finance/lease costs as illustrated in the link the OP posted - i.e. the thread starter. If you don't like what I wrote go ahead and ignore it.
Go re-read what you wrote.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Go re-read what you wrote.
I know what I wrote. This is a 'discussion' board. If someone writes something you don't care to read then simply move on rather than criticizing the discussion matter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts