Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 DX with 67k Km [ or roughly 45k miles ]

What are the tell tale signs that the ADS shocks are worn or failing[ed].?

Seems like when i got over speed bump at local shopping malls etc, even in comfort mode, suspension sounds clunky... for the lack of a better description.

Any input appreciated.
J.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I usually leave my MDX in sport mode as it feels the most stable over bumps and regular driving. Signs are oily shocks if you inspect them, audible squeak when going over bumps or downward off driveway to street etc. These squeaks and clunks are more noticible when the car is in comfort mode as well. You should also take your car to the dealership because there is a customer satisfaction campaign going on that replaces the ads shocks for free if they are leaking.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Baaj for the info..

just to add, at what mileage, typically, does the ADS shock start to fail..?

aiming to inspect the shocks this week-end...
stay tuned..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the non sport 2008 MDX. How do I know if I have reg or ADS struts and shocks? Everything I see is for the sport model. The ride is a bit rough and I thought it needed them so not shocked, but the ADS comments concern me a bit in not putting right parts in.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not in position to confirm if the 08 has ADS -active damper system- shocks or not.

Suspect if you have sport or comfort mode, then you may have ADS shocks, but i may be wrong.
Other members, please chime in and confirm please.

J.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I believe that only the Sport models have ADS. The sure fire way to tell is if you have have the Sport/Comfort button in the center console just behind the cup holders and gear selector.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
There isn't a set mileage or conditions to cause the ADS struts/shocks to fail like regular struts/shocks. I've usually gone +100,000 miles at a minimal and over 200,000 miles on regular shocks and struts on past vehicles. I had to change out my front ADS on my 11 MDX Adv at 30,000 miles because of "clunking" noise with suspension travel like speed bumps or dips (replaced under 4/50k basic warranty). My MDX still drove and handled fine with the clunking noise. I've been fine ever since with just over 100,000 miles on the odo.

I've noticed my MDX suspension doesn't feel as tight in sport mode at 100K as it did before at 30K. I had Acura check it out during my last oil change and they said everything looked fine. Just might be normal wear and tear once you factor in all the suspension parts ages together.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks mrgold..

you are reconfirming my suspicions... or at least giving me an indication that I am not off track.

I have a ticket open at the dealership.. just need to find time to drop off the X

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Confirmed..
Just got back from the dealership..
Front ADS are sked for replacement on Friday...
J.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Confirmed..
Just got back from the dealership..
Front ADS are sked for replacement on Friday...
J.
How did they diagnose? Was there visible leakage on the struts? Did a scan pull codes? Or did they just rely on audible cues? Our '07 Sport has 130k+ miles and no visible signs of failed struts, but I suspect they have seen better days.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How did they diagnose? Was there visible leakage on the struts? Did a scan pull codes? Or did they just rely on audible cues? Our '07 Sport has 130k+ miles and no visible signs of failed struts, but I suspect they have seen better days.
They did a road test...
I saw some diagnosing instruction sheets [ almost like a TSB ] stapled to my work order.
There was a rather large pictograph of a DX telling the tech to drive over a speed bump at a certain speed and listen for a evident clunking noise. I wasnt able to see if they were to look/listen for the rear shocks as well.
This issue does not through any codes, to the best of my knowledge.
I did not visually inspect the shocks myself..so I dont know if they have signs of leakage.. I just may crawl under just for curiosity.
J.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An afterthought...

Has anyone who has had the ADS work done... anyone have all 4 shocks done [ under warranty that is] at the same time..??

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I just had my front ADS done only. At first when the clunking sound started, the tech found a worn front endlink from a torn boot and replaced both endlinks under warranty. The clunking went away for about 2 months. The exact same noise from the same front passenger side area started back up again in the same driving conditions (low speed bumps/dips). That was when Acura determined it was the front ADS and replaced both.

The ADS struts/shocks seems to be more expensive for the +10 MDX compared to the 07-09 Sport models? I guess-i-mated around $700-$1000 per corner for the +10 MDX Adv depending on dealership to replace out of pocket. I haven't found a cheaper aftermarket ADS replacement. You can see why so many folks decide to switch to regular struts/shocks instead.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So i took a quick moment and took a look at the old shocks before they are gone..

Looking for the aforementioned tel-tale sign of an oily strut.
well.. they looked kinda dry to me.. with a fair bit for surface corrosion..
perhaps the oily stage has come and gone..

it will be interesting to see what loaner i get LOL
:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok .. well the job was done as scheduled..
The ride is nice and quiet now, wife calls the comfort mode -bouncy mode- now, and prefers the sport mode...
who would have thunk..!! ;)

Onwards and upwards...
J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts