Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know this topic has been covered a million times, for those people who swapped their suspension from ADS to regular (non dampening) struts and using resistors to get rid of the ADS lights. Any problems down the road? did this work for you guys?

Here's one comment from a previous thread with instrcutions "Hey all, just wanted to share my experience. I recently bought an 07 sport and one of the front ADS struts was not dampening at all. After checking all the electrical connections etc. I gave up and decided to change out the whole system - meaning I converted from an ADS system to the standard MDX system (non-electronic struts). Reason being I was not willing to invest the $ to replace one strut and take a chance on the other strut or either shock in the rear going out and pouring more $ into the suspension. My MDX has 117K on it and I plan to take it to over 200K so I figured it best to rid myself of the issue now and forever. So, I ordered entire OEM strut assemblies for the front and KYB shocks for the rear. R&R was a piece of cake as it's been a southern car it's whole life so all the fasteners we're clean and rust-free. I then placed a 1 ohm 10 watt resistor (radio shack - $1.25/each) on each connector that was previously running to the shocks/struts. This has turned off the ADS warning lights inside the car. I've only been running this way for a few days but so far all is well. Just wanted to share my feedback in case others we're considering doing the same."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im facing that big decision at this exact moment. Ive concluded that an 8 yearold mdx doesn't need 4000 in shocks as I rather spend 1300 and replace the ads system. I will get it done when funds are more in my favor. I currently have no ads lights or leaking shocks but its very noisy in the rear when I hit potholes. This conversion works pretty good as im in canada and I know a few people that did it for over a year. Shocks last 3 times the lifespan of ads shocks. It's a win win. Unlesd you have money to replace the ads shocks then go ahead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im facing that big decision at this exact moment. Ive concluded that an 8 yearold mdx doesn't need 4000 in shocks as I rather spend 1300 and replace the ads system. I will get it done when funds are more in my favor. I currently have no ads lights or leaking shocks but its very noisy in the rear when I hit potholes. This conversion works pretty good as im in canada and I know a few people that did it for over a year. Shocks last 3 times the lifespan of ads shocks. It's a win win. Unlesd you have money to replace the ads shocks then go ahead.
Same here, Canadian prices are insane for these parts. What resistors will you be using? I am swapping the suspension pretty soon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I changed over to regular shocks on a 2008 Sport a couple of months ago. The ADS is a better system but not $4,000 better. The ride now is not as stiff as the ADs on Sport but not far off it. I would liken it to Volvo V70 or MB ML350. The mechanics at a garage that does a lot of Lexus repairs say it is too firm, good over big bumps but Pilot like on relatively smooth roads, they refer to the Pilot jiggle. Mine needed a 4 wheel alignment. I am happy with the outcome with my wife and daughter agreeing that the ride is good. I have not done the resistors yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
On my 2007, I changed from ADS to regular. Monroe shocks were a bolt in on the rears, have been fine for almost 2 years. The fronts were replaced with Acura strut/spring assembly, also a bolt in. These were done in October of last year, have been fine since then.

Used 2 ohm, 10 watt resistors for the rear, 5 ohm 10 watt resistors for the front. Fools the computer in comfort mode, but will throw a code if it is accidentally switched to sport mode.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Taking my 08 in as there is some noise from front passenger side. It could be suspension related. We shall see. IF that is the case will for sure look at the non ADS route.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A shop that does alot of shock conversion in scarborough is doing the job for me. 360auto in markham. They will also do the resistors for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On my 2007, I changed from ADS to regular. Monroe shocks were a bolt in on the rears, have been fine for almost 2 years. The fronts were replaced with Acura strut/spring assembly, also a bolt in. These were done in October of last year, have been fine since then.

Used 2 ohm, 10 watt resistors for the rear, 5 ohm 10 watt resistors for the front. Fools the computer in comfort mode, but will throw a code if it is accidentally switched to sport mode.
Awesome man, thanks!

I just ordered non-ADS suspension from Acura - Full front assembly and rear struts. Everything came up to $850 CAD through a buddy. I will be doing the swap soon!

·
Registered
28 Posts
They are charging 1375 all in. Alignment will have to be done on all 4 wheels after. Im going to get it done in 2 weeks will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Can the shop sell the resistors separately to people in other states..?

I don't have problems with my shocks yet, but I know the time will come. I wouldn't mind buying the resistors in advanced or for some friends that already have to change their advance shocks..

Can you find how much are they and how can we buy it..?

And, first of all.. Do they really work on comfort and sport modes..? :D

AC

They are charging 1375 all in. Alignment will have to be done on all 4 wheels after. Im going to get it done in 2 weeks will keep you posted.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Can the shop sell the resistors separately to people in other states..?

I don't have problems with my shocks yet, but I know the time will come. I wouldn't mind buying the resistors in advanced or for some friends that already have to change their advance shocks..

Can you find how much are they and how can we buy it..?

And, first of all.. Do they really work on comfort and sport modes..? :D

AC
Any generic resistors will do, you don't need anything special. Just make sure the impedance and wattage values are correctly spec'd out and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From ADS to regular struts

I just switched from ADS to regular Monroe struts all around on 2007 MDX. The ride could not be softer, even thou i had to play with front ones cause they were a bit shorter comparing o originals. The rear ones i even did not have to remove the wheels it came of that easy. It still reads the error that ADS must be checked so i ordered 4 resistors 1 ohm 10 watt, will see how it works. My suggestion if you change the front struts get the whole assembly if you can. It will safe you a lot time and nerves especially if you do it by your self.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I am a Honda/Acura mechanic for 10 years. I am currently in the process of converting our MDX over to standard suspension. I have replaced the rear shocks with no issue. I ordered KYB struts to replace the factory struts with. This would not work for several reasons. I have since ordered strut assemblies from Acura. My concern is the height difference in the struts. There is about a 2-3 inch difference in the height of the standard struts and the electronic struts. Did you notice this when you replaced your system? Did you run into any issues when installing the standard struts?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hi,
I am a Honda/Acura mechanic for 10 years. I am currently in the process of converting our MDX over to standard suspension. I have replaced the rear shocks with no issue. I ordered KYB struts to replace the factory struts with. This would not work for several reasons. I have since ordered strut assemblies from Acura. My concern is the height difference in the struts. There is about a 2-3 inch difference in the height of the standard struts and the electronic struts. Did you notice this when you replaced your system? Did you run into any issues when installing the standard struts?
I did mine last year.
No noticeable height difference, but I still would like someone to try the H&R lowering springs for the 2014 Honda Odyssey.

KYB (rear) + 2 ohm resistor

Base oem shock & springs (front) + 5 ohm resistors + end links.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I noticed everyone seems to be going with aftermarket rear shocks, but has anyone tried aftermarket front assemblies? Rock Auto shows them for about $100 each side, which is about $300 cheaper for the pair. The options are Unity and FCS, and they both state lifetime warranty. Anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Those aftermarket assemblies are typically made with inferior piston seals and fluids. The springs are also inferior in materials/manufacturing, and may not have the exact same spring rates as OEM not to mention dampening rates.

Lifetime doesn't mean much if you have to get a tow from a broken spring and/or have to pay for labor to get them replaced.

Just remember those companies are in the business of making money and not in it to help you out. They are going to cut corners everywhere they can to maximize profits. Just gotta be extra careful on the super cheap parts.

I'd rather spend the extra money on proven brands/parts and do it once only.

My $.02

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am planning on using KYB all around, I know the rears will be an easy swap but what parts do I need to change for the front struts, or what parts can I reuse from the electronic suspension? Will the strut mount from old struts work or should I buy new strut mounts?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts