Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

641 - 660 of 661 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check your Strut Sensors before replacing any ADS shocks. At 203k kilometers on my 2010 MDX Elite and independent Acura garage found one of my rear ones broken and the other back one and the front ones seized. (My Dealer never mentioned Struct Sensors)
Once they were replaced the ride was back to normal-Yeah!

The Part #';s were 33136-STX-A01, 33186-STX-A01, 33196-STX-A01, 33146-STX-A01 about $332 CAD each, ouch!

This after the front ADS shocks were replaced at 118k and rear ADS shocks replaced at 180k. My prices were comparable to what you were quoted.

Now for some Venting!
About 2 months ago the [email protected]#$% started riding again like a tank, this on the rear when you go over bumps, and this after agreeing to replace the rear ADS shocks a 2nd time $$$ as they said the Strut Sensors were ok this time.

So one more trip into that independent Acura garage this week if no resolution comes up it's time to get rid of it.

It's a shame I really like this MDX I've had it 10 years+ but this ride thing is the last straw, the plan was I was going to keep it at least another 2 years but...

·
Registered
2010 MDX Elite
16 Posts
Why not just convert shocks like everyone else? Or get a hold of Acura Canada and explain the situation. With the failure rate of these shocks in our climate, they shouldn't even be selling or installing them unless its for free or under warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why not just convert shocks like everyone else? Or get a hold of Acura Canada and explain the situation. With the failure rate of these shocks in our climate, they shouldn't even be selling or installing them unless its for free or under warranty.
I tried Acura Canada once and got nowhere although they offered everyone an extended warranty program on these ADS shocks but it ran out long ago.

And as for a conversion I'm not able to do it myself and my independent Acura shop won't do any "conversion" work that involved anything outside of factory specifications.

Finally also on the horizon with this MDX is another timing belt service and it is using oil at a litre per 1000 km which Dealer said is due to the is the oil pump leaking. Do the oil pump at the same time as the timing belt it is probably $2200 to get both done so when do you say enough is enough?

·
Registered
2010 MDX Elite
16 Posts
I guess it would depend how well the vehicle has been taken care of. Shock wise, you could go elsewhere from an Acura dealer, there is nothing wrong with independent shops, infact I'd go to the point of saying they are sometimes much better.
Enough is enough when you say it is I guess. All vehicles these days will always cost money one way or another. Vehicles are an luxury, not an investment. Unless you are into restorations...
I hated having a payment on my truck, it was the only new vehicle I had ever purchased. Not sure I will again.
I was happy as heck buying my used mdx! Whether i have some minor repairs or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It appears the OEM base strut assemblies are now discontinued (51601-STX-A01, 51602-STX-A02), although you can still buy the struts and components to assemble yourself. I'm looking to do the ADS conversion and I ordered the strut assemblies from multiple Acura websites but all orders were cancelled with an email saying they're no longer available.

It looks like the recommended OEM option is out so we're left with assembling the OEM struts ourselves for more $$$ and time, or going aftermarket.

Does anyone have a source in the States that still stocks the Acura base strut assemblies?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It appears the OEM base strut assemblies are now discontinued (51601-STX-A01, 51602-STX-A02), although you can still buy the struts and components to assemble yourself. I'm looking to do the ADS conversion and I ordered the strut assemblies from multiple Acura websites but all orders were cancelled with an email saying they're no longer available.

It looks like the recommended OEM option is out so we're left with assembling the OEM struts ourselves for more $$$ and time, or going aftermarket.

Does anyone have a source in the States that still stocks the Acura base strut assemblies?
I am wondering the same thing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry if this has information has been posted before in the previous 32 pages of posts but here is my experience with replacing my ADS suspension.

First off, haters may chime in on my choice but my 2009 MDX is old. They're all old at this point. It's got 103k miles on it and it is not my daily driver. (It's low mileage for a 2009 and is otherwise in good mechanical condition.) I just wanted the blown ADS shocks out and be riding smoothly again. I wasn't expecting it to feel brand new again. Secondly, I have read innumerable posts about doing the ADS to regular shock conversion with base MDX struts and KYB rears along with resistors to cancel the obnoxious ADS error lights. Which resistors to use and which resistors actually work varied quite a bit. It seems pretty hit and miss. I didn't want to mess with that. Now, if the base OEM MDX strut assemblies aren't even available, that option is gone and putting the parts together is another pain to deal with.

So I looked at conversion kits. The Strutmaster kit has very poor reviews so that was out, plus it is expensive. I considered the Arnott conversion kit that comes with an error canceling box that has to be wired in to a harness in the cargo area. The cost of about $1000 for that kit was a no go for me. I then came across a kit from Unity Automotive that included a pair of assembled struts for the front, shocks for the rear, and 4 purpose made resistors to cancel the error light. The resistors a nicely made and in aluminum heat sinks. The cost was about $350 for the kit. I found them listed as Unity Automotive and the struts came in Unity Automotive boxes but I believe the are also branded as Suncore Industries since the rears came with Suncore stickers on the box. This kit is made specifically for the 2nd Gen MDX with the dreaded ADS crap.

Unity Automotive Kit
Suncore Industries

Okay, I know it's got to be made in China and the cost would probably scare some off as too cheap to be good. I figured that my ADS suspension was so beyond hope that this kit was worth a try. The price was irresistible and I wanted to get my MDX riding smoothly without costing too much so I decided to give this kit a try. Worse case, the shocks don't last and I'll have to replace them sooner than normal but at least I'd have the correct resistors already installed and I'm only out $350.

Results: They work. The ride is a bit stiffer than Comfort but way better than Sport when ADS was functioning. Overall, the MDX rides and handles well. There are no strange noises and there is no harshness. Maybe problems will develop eventually since I don't have many miles on them but for now, they're doing well. Installation didn't present any issues. The resistors work too. The ADS error light came on once right after installation but the light disappeared after turning off the ignition and restarting. It has not come back on again. The error light might also come on if the ADS button is accidentally pushed but should go off after a restart as well. (The instructions mentioned this.) I included pictures of how the resistors look when soldered in.

So for the price, if you want to get your ADS suspension out, and especially if you're tired of the covered wagon ride because your ADS is shot, consider this kit. As I stated, if they don't last as long as other name brand shocks, the cost was low enough that I won't be upset. With the resistors in and functioning, I can then replace the struts/shocks with whatever I want. I just wanted to share my experience with the forum because I couldn't find anything online about this kit for the MDX.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve read through here but I can’t find any reviews on the Arnott conversion kit? Does anyone have this kit on their rig?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve read through here but I can’t find any reviews on the Arnott conversion kit? Does anyone have this kit on their rig?
I was in the same boat. After scouring the Internet, the only comments I saw on a few different Acura forums were about the Strutmasters kit and that is sucks. It's hard to believe that nobody has tried the Arnott kit or the one I got. FWIW, my mechanic suggested the Arnott kit because he's had good luck with it on other cars, including replacing the airbag suspension on Range/Land Rovers. I was going to go with the Arnott kit but the price was a turn off and then I discovered the Unity/Suncore kit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you get this to work? I too am having troubles getting my light out. I did the conversion awhile ago and figured I would worry about the light a bit later. I attempted the bypass in the trunk using all 1 ohm resistors and the light is staying on in Comfort Mode, even if unhooking the battery. I tried 5 ohm in front and 2 ohm in rear, and still had the same problems with light staying on.

I think in another post there was mention of speed or height sensors potentially causing the ADS light to be on - how does one check to see if that is the problem? Anyone else have any ideas? Mine is the Canadian Elite version.

I bought the same resistors and still have the ads light. When it’s in comfort mode does the button light up green? Buying a new comfort switch tmr to see if it’ll help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone successfully did the fix at the ADS controller in the trunk? If so, what resistor values did you use? Do they need to be different due to resistance of the wire leads to the sensors?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased an Advance 2011 that has the Strutmasters currently and I wanted to replace them. Can I purchase KYB for front for a base model and reuse the spring from the Strutmasters

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just purchased an Advance 2011 that has the Strutmasters currently and I wanted to replace them. Can I purchase KYB for front for a base model and reuse the spring from the Strutmasters
Not recommended and worth it. Just get the OEM regular completely strut assembly and replace the whole thing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not recommended and worth it. Just get the OEM regular completely strut assembly and replace the whole thing .

The problem is is you can't find OEM struts at the dealer anymore so I was going to assemble my own using a dealer spring and a KYB strut. Would that bolt up?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I went to 5 different acura parts online and they all say discontinued for the whole assembly. Only the strut is available. Please show me a link that you are seeing.
Wait. You want ADS or non ADS? They stopped making anymore ADS strut because it was proven to be garbage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wait. You want ADS or non ADS? They stopped making anymore ADS strut because it was proven to be garbage.

The non ADS assembly to replace ADS are discontinued. I want to use a non ADS KYB strut and use a non ADS spring. Would that work

641 - 660 of 661 Posts