Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

621 - 628 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Acura MDX elite
12 Posts
I just did the conversion yesterday and I'm so happy I did. I live in Alberta, CAN so there's no way I was dishing out $4k for new shocks and will last who knows how long. The ads struts were swapped out at 150k and I'm only at 226k now, so that's tells you how durable they are. I was told by the dealership that the ads doesn't like our cold climate which is why they fail pre maturely, so perhaps if you are in a warmer climate, you'll have better luck.
All in all I'm happy with the result and I even took a chance with the autoshack struts off of Amazon for $300 and I had to buy a $15 worth of random resistors lol (please don't judge). Will see how they hold up in our cold climate as they do have a 6 month warranty.
If you are thinking about doing the conversion, just do it and you'll be happy u did :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did my rear shock conversion in NY this week and am so glad to report back, no error light! Bought rear KYB's on amazon for ~$60 and resistors on ebay for ~$5. They fit right into the plug and taped them in, no wire stripping or sodering. Hope it lasts, will report back if they don't. Labor for rear shock was $180. Total was under $315, easily saved 2k with this process. Thank you so much for everyone who contributed to figuring this out!

Links:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a 2011 MDX Advanced for my 17 yo daughter and it had the ADS warning light on when I purchased it (got it from the auction) Ive had it inspected by our mechanics and he told me that the rear struts had been replaced with aftermarket but the front were still the original. Whoever replaced the rear struts did not fix the light so it stays on. The mechanic said the front OEM were still fine, and really didn't need replacing. The vehicle shifts hard from 1st 2nd & 3rd gears and I've had 2 different transmission shops inspect the trans and they told me it was fine. My brother has a friend who used to work as a mechanic for a Honda dealership tell him that it was possible that since the ADS light was on (although the struts in the rear are functioning properly) that it could be causing the transmission to shift like that because the computer thinks there's a problem with the ADS and that if I get the light module to turn the ADS light off it could clear up the hard shifting issue. My question is has anyone else had an issue with the trans hard shifting when the ADS went bad or ADS light on? Is that a possible solution to fixing the hard shift? The mechanic also told him that if the trans has ever been rebuilt that sometimes they just shift hard like that for the rest of the vehicles life. It's kind of annoying and if getting the ADS light turned off will fix the problem then I think I'm gonna buy a set of front struts from strutmasters with with the light module and just roll with it. Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I changed the rear on my 2010 Advance Today. I've had this car for about 50K miles now. I'm up to 165K. I bit the bullet when I first bought the car and did the fronts. Now the rear are gone, so I bought KYB's and the resisters from Amazon. I cut off one of the connectors and soldiered in the resister. I did not disconnect the battery and I have not thrown a code yet and did a 50 mile trip today. It looks like one of the shocks in the rear was bad, it was covered in oil and hard to move by hand. Wow what an improvement on the ride these new shocks make. It is hard for me to judge if this is a better ride than ADS on all 4 corners, but I don't recall the car ever riding better than it does now. The left rear was starting to make a big bang over sizable bumps. I'll replace the front when they go out

·
Registered
766 Posts
Greg T...I made the swap to non-ADS shocks and liked the ride. About a year later Acura sent me a "warranty extension" notice and I qualified. I had not cut my connectors, to install the resistors, as you have done. It made putting my old "busted" system back easy. Acura replaced all four of the ADS shocks and I used them for about 8 months and about 8,000 miles. I noticed that the ADS "comfort" mode was very soft and reminded me of driving a Buick. The "Sport" mode was stiffer, but not as stiff/truck like as the non-ADS set up. With either system, I could not say that I noticed (per the seat of my pants) any difference, when accelerating aggressively in a curve.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Greg T...I made the swap to non-ADS shocks and liked the ride. About a year later Acura sent me a "warranty extension" notice and I qualified. I had not cut my connectors, to install the resistors, as you have done. It made putting my old "busted" system back easy. Acura replaced all four of the ADS shocks and I used them for about 8 months and about 8,000 miles. I noticed that the ADS "comfort" mode was very soft and reminded me of driving a Buick. The "Sport" mode was stiffer, but not as stiff/truck like as the non-ADS set up. With either system, I could not say that I noticed (per the seat of my pants) any difference, when accelerating aggressively in a curve.
I noticed the comfort mode ride taking corners was wayyyyy better than sport for whatever reason. Besides that the sport was better suited for bumps and pot holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

621 - 628 of 628 Posts