Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

561 - 576 of 576 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just replaced my 2007 Sport MDX rear shocks (ADS) with Monroe standard shocks. Following the advice here, I inserted 1.5 Ohm 15W resistors in each connection. No ADS light in either Sport or Comfort mode.

Front struts are next.
I’m curious if anyone has been able to switch between Comfort and Sport mode without an error code after replacing your shocks/struts with aftermarket non-ADS and connecting the resistors to the ADS connectors?

I am using the 280-CR15-5.0-RC resistors (5 Ohms, 15 W, 5%) from Mouser on all four corners and it has gotten rid of the warning indicators but when I switch to Sport from Comfort, it triggers the ADS warnings again and I need to turn it back to Comfort and restart the car in order to get rid of them again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just replaced the rear ADS shocks with the standard shocks ($100 each Monroe). Job was relatively simple, except that one side required superhuman strength to remove the shock mounting bolts. Coincidentally this was the side that the dealer replaced about 3 or 4 years ago.

Toughest part of the install was compressing the old shock to get it to clear the mounting points. I just couldn't compress it by hand and move it around in the confined area. Solution was to compress it by lifting up the "A frame" with the floor jack, then using a wood clamp to pinch the shock together, then release the floor jack slowly and the shock stayed compressed due to the clamp pinching the rubber outside against the piston, I presume. Shock came out easily at this point.

I just taped the electrical connector, to keep water out, and tie wrapped it to the shock mounting area. Someday the prices of the ADS shock might be reasonable and I will change them back.

All in took about 2 hours, replaced both shocks and the sway bar bushings.

Ride is great, but get the ADS message, and when it is cleared for other information, the little logo of the SUV with the bumpy road under it stays lit continuously.

Dealer quote was 2160 for the ADS shocks installed, and 190 for installing the bushings. Interesting that the dealer quoted 3.7 hours, and the backyard mechanic (me) did it in about 2.

For the approximately 2000 bucks that I saved, I can live with the lights on the dash.

Don't have pictures. Once I started, I just wanted to get it done.
Can you post a link as to which ones you purchased?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, just to give a quick update, I had the two front ADS struts replaced this morning to non-sport versions, the car now feels MUCH better, and as a side note the slight vibration some others have also reported under heavy acceleration is gone, as is the low speed clunk. Way smoother drive.
I will live with the "Check ADS system" light for a few weeks until I get the rear shocks replaced, and then tackle the resistor fix to get rid of the warning.
Which ones did you get? Can you post a link?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an '09 Sport and my front struts went out. Ive been looking all through this thread and the information is a bit overwhelming. I see alot of suggestions and parts numbers, but just not sure what to get and I can change a tire, put new brakes on a car, and fill it with gas. Thats to the extent of my tools and knowledge. Is there anyone in the Nashville, TN area who I could take my MDX to do the conversion? Or a link where I can purchase everything needed to give to my local mechanic?

·
Registered
598 Posts
andymusic...you can do this, It's only a hand full of nuts and bolts. If you decide that the front end links will also be replaced and you don't even try to save them, you'll breeze thru this DIY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve been pulling some hair out on this. I did the bypass in the trunk and then ads lighter came on. Been on for couple years now. So today I pulled off the wire from the rear and put resistors into all four corners being 5ohms 10w in the front and 2.2 ohms 10w in the rears. Still getting a light on the dash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You don't have 4" of wires to play with, if you try to put the resistors (which are not polarity sensitive) in series.

Pull the "comfort" switch up and out, put it in the "comfort" position, disconnect the battery, unplug the switch, snap the switch back in place, unplug the shock plug connectors, and tape the resistors in.
Swap either all 4 shocks or do them in sets of front vs rear.

I reused my comfort switch to become an on/off switch for my blindspot camera, instead of wireing the camera to the turn signal.
so once unplug on the comfort switch do not plug it back on? Do i have leave the ADS module in the rear hooked up as well? Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 MDX w/ Tech Package w/ADS and the comfort (suck) button. Both shocks are leaking and as everyone found out the replacement ones with ADS are $340~ each ish and the stock ones are $110~ each ish. So I purchased 4 of the the same resistor stated above (TNP10SA1R00FE - Through Hole Resistor, 1 ohm, TNP10 Series, 10 W, ± 1%, TO-126) from Newark (mfg part #51AC1295) cost incl shipping $9 US. Last night with the vehicle and comport button off, I unplugged the ADS and plugged the resistor into the plug coming from the car (had to trim 1/4" off resistor leads because they were too long). Then I wrapped electrical tape around to see if this would cause a warning light. We have used the car on several trips with no warning light. Next I will replace the shocks with the stock ones and if the front struts wear out I will use the last two resistors to plug them as well but I don't know if they are ADS or not.

I don't know what happens if I press the comfort button (I don't plan on pressing it). If it ain't broke don't fix it. Thanks for the good comments and notes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 MDX w/ Tech Package w/ADS and the comfort (suck) button. Both shocks are leaking and as everyone found out the replacement ones with ADS are $340~ each ish and the stock ones are $110~ each ish. So I purchased 4 of the the same resistor stated above (TNP10SA1R00FE - Through Hole Resistor, 1 ohm, TNP10 Series, 10 W, ± 1%, TO-126) from Newark (mfg part #51AC1295) cost incl shipping $9 US. Last night with the vehicle and comport button off, I unplugged the ADS and plugged the resistor into the plug coming from the car (had to trim 1/4" off resistor leads because they were too long). Then I wrapped electrical tape around to see if this would cause a warning light. We have used the car on several trips with no warning light. Next I will replace the shocks with the stock ones and if the front struts wear out I will use the last two resistors to plug them as well but I don't know if they are ADS or not.

I don't know what happens if I press the comfort button (I don't plan on pressing it). If it ain't broke don't fix it. Thanks for the good comments and notes.
I bought the same resistors and still have the ads light. When it’s in comfort mode does the button light up green? Buying a new comfort switch tmr to see if it’ll help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did this conversion successfully last week on an '08 with 192k miles. So far light hasn't come back on after a few trips. I used Acura Addicted's awesome videos for reference. Thanks Acura Addicted and to other contributors on this thread! Hope the parts list below helps out:

Front:
1x 51602-STX-A06 Shock Absorber Assembly, L Front
1x 51601-STX-A06 Shock Absorber Assembly, R Front
2x CP00105R000JE14 5ohm Transistors from mouser. com to bypass ADS

Rear:
2x KYB 349025 Excel-G Gas Shock
2x CP00102R000KE14 2ohm Transistors from mouser. com to bypass ADS

·
Registered
598 Posts
I bought the same resistors and still have the ads light. When it’s in comfort mode does the button light up green? Buying a new comfort switch tmr to see if it’ll help.
I don't remember is the light should be on or off.

In the area of the tach, you will see "Comfort" or Sport" when you start the car.

You need to see "Comfort" then turn off the engine and disconnect the 12v battery.
Pull out each resistor, then reconnect each resistor and tape them in place.
Connect the 12v battery.
Do not touch the Comfort/Sport button.
Test drive. If no warnings re-tape each resistor more securely.

I pulled my comfort/sport button out and unplugged it while my 12v battery was disconnected. I did not reconnect the comfort/sport button...I just snapped it back in its hole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: Hi, Please note one of my resistors went bad after a few days so the dash board warning "check ADS system" light came on. I switched the one I thought might be bad out and disconnected the positive battery side then reconnected. The dash board warning "check ADS system" light went away. I also pressed the comfort / sport switch with resistors in (back only) multiple times and there was no warning (as long as the resistors worked). Please note the other threads on here specifically " ADS suspension to regular conversion Results " some more info was helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Update from earlier post: I still have the old ADS shocks (front & back) on the vehicle and no warning lights. I have only tested the rear shocks purchasing the resistors without having dashboard warning "check ADS system". One of my resistors went bad after a few days and the warning light came on. I switched it out (purchased 4) and the light went away. When the resistors are in and no dash board warning is showing ("check ADS system") I was able to push the sport/comfort button without any issues and it did not cause the warning light to come on in my case. I didn't know the front resistors are supposed to be different from the back ones so I need to get those first before changing the struts out. I found the "Acura Addicted" videos of exceptional quality and detail but especially helpful although he removes rear shocks his Acura does not have the ADS system. Keep posting what you find that works. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I figured if I did swap out shocks and got a light, I would just try and put a resistor on the plug. That way it would thing the shocks were still there.

Off the top of my head I want to say .45ohms of resistance shows you the shock it good.

You could always test on that is still good on your vehicle and let us know.
I need to no more about the by pass system.. I have seen many ways to do this but i need to no the exact resister for it...its a 2015 mdx

561 - 576 of 576 Posts