Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 574 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just wondering if anyone has replaced their ADS shocks for regular shocks due to $$$? In my case, my '07 Elite(sport) with 131,000 km's rear shocks are leaking & making a rattling sound at low speeds over bumps, but comparing the costs, cheapest being US$557 vs US$89., was curious if anyone has done it & if there's any issues?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a bad sensor on one of my wife's and just for fun I pulled all the electrical connectors "at the base of the struts" to see if it would throw a ADS light. She drive like that for 1week and it never threw a light. It might take more time or it could be a fluke, but she drives about 450miles a week. The new connector should be to my house early next week. If that does not solve the problem, I will be replacing all of them with standard shocks.

PS: It did ride like a bouncy POS though. :D

I am almost 100% sure the non-sport shocks will work though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks!

I did unplug the rear shock & a few seconds after start up the message pooped up to check ads system + an icon stays lit. Found the ADS fuse under the hood & pulled it, still got message. If I can bypass the system so I get no message I'd go ahead & get regular shocks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Please keep us posted. A few of our members here surely appreciate knowing that a less $$ is an option. I would not mind converting to regular shocks or better yet the adjustable ones if available.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I figured if I did swap out shocks and got a light, I would just try and put a resistor on the plug. That way it would thing the shocks were still there.

Off the top of my head I want to say .45ohms of resistance shows you the shock it good.

You could always test on that is still good on your vehicle and let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was just "shocked" to learn of the cost to replace my rears. I'm also considering the regular shock route, but don't want to deal with a warning light for the rest of the cars life.

Questions:
1) Can a Sport MDX be flashed with the regular software so it doesn't even look for an ADS system?

2) Is the ride really different and bouncy like mijdirtyjeep says? Any others have input on this? If it's that bad, maybe it's not the route to go even for a lot less dough.

3) Do all 4 shocks need to be replaced at once, or can you do rears then fronts when they fail? I assume they all need it, but not sure.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
mijdirtyjeep is not saying the ride was bouncy on standard shocks. He is saying its bouncy on the ADS shocks after the electronic connectors were disconnected.

My front 2 shocks been making noise for the past 3 years, had Acura check and they said everything is normal up until the point I was out of warranty. Hate the dealerships in my area. Anyway I am also interested in swapping out the shocks for standard for 2 reasons... 1. too expensive, 2. what if they break again in another 30k miles i'm not interested in throwing my money away on parts that are not made to last. please keep us posted mijdirtyjeep

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ah, I see that now. That's basically how mine rides right now with the rear shocks basically bled out. It's like a school bus.

I wish I would have known when I bought my MDX back in 07 what this wear item would cost to replace. Might have made me rethink buying the Sport package.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I assumed these would be much more popular accessory across all brands than they are. I was hoping these would be more of a commodity when they needed to be replaced. I too will be trying the regular route when the time comes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, just had a conversation with a service advisor at my local dealer. He said re-flashing the computer with the standard MDX software will not work, basically because the ADS system is so ingrained in the electrical system. I guess I kind of believe him, but not entirely. If the software doesn't know there is an ADS sytem, why would it generate a fault or warning?

On my 04 Touareg, the dealer was able to bypass the TPMS warning when I had different wheels than stock, so why wouldn't Honda/Acura be able to do a similar bypass in the software. The more I think about this, the more angry I get. I would have expected $1000 shocks from Mercedes or BMW, but a Honda company? Come on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Crazy1eye

Have you replaced your sport shocks yet? If so did you use sport shocks or regular, and what issues if any did you encounter? I am in a similar situation, and have started a thread, with decent feedback from members.

·
Registered
23 Posts
INTERESTING RESULTS:: This weekend I wanted to check if the ADS light would go ON if the front shocks were disconnected from the elecrtirical system. Sure enough the ADS light came ON as soon as I started the engine. So I shut the car off and re-connected the electrical connections on the shocks, alarm cleared and think this *somehow* RESOLVED the problem. My shocks are no longer making clank noise and now much smoother again. It's like the disconnect and re-connect did some sort of reset to make the computer start communicating with the shocks again. I would recommend you try this as well as it only takes 10 minutes and hope everyone has favorable results. Good luck!

steps:
-Car OFF key removed from ignition.
-Disconnect the wire that plugs into the bottom of the shock.
-Turn the car ON (engine running). you should get the failure immediately.
-Turn OFF and re-connect the cables. DONE.

Original symptoms: I have 07 Sport and my front struts were making clank noise on all bumps and very stiff. They felt as if they were not absorbing any bumps which made the ride very bumpy.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Thanks sunny61. I will give it a try but mine seem to be the opposite. It's almost like there is no resistance and it drives like a bus.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I wonder if the sport shocks have adaptive capabilities, that is, the ability to learn and adapt to the road conditions experienced over certain amount of time..

That will explain the improvement/change when it was disconnected. Same as the adaptive transmissions where many vehicles can easily reset it and make it relearn in order to get smooth shifting patterns again..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Patent Protection Expiry

$600+ for front and $500+ for rear ADS is high for all of us.
The ride is very good and in that respect they are worth it.
I have the impression that patent protection should expire soon and when it does prices will fall dramatically.
Does anyone have an idea when that is due.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
$600+ for front and $500+ for rear ADS is high for all of us.
The ride is very good and in that respect they are worth it.
I have the impression that patent protection should expire soon and when it does prices will fall dramatically.
Does anyone have an idea when that is due.
Actually, a true active suspension system such as the one in the second gen MDX Sport/Advance package is a very advanced technology that very few cars on the road have. They are expensive to build, and they probably lose money on sales of replacement OEM shocks, so don't expect prices to drop any time soon. You may want to replace them with new OEM shocks so you can continue to enjoy their benefits rather than negating their benefits in order to save a few bucks.

You can read more about active suspensions and how they work here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
INTERESTING RESULTS:: This weekend I wanted to check if the ADS light would go ON if the front shocks were disconnected from the elecrtirical system. Sure enough the ADS light came ON as soon as I started the engine. So I shut the car off and re-connected the electrical connections on the shocks, alarm cleared and think this *somehow* RESOLVED the problem. My shocks are no longer making clank noise and now much smoother again. It's like the disconnect and re-connect did some sort of reset to make the computer start communicating with the shocks again. I would recommend you try this as well as it only takes 10 minutes and hope everyone has favorable results. Good luck!

steps:
-Car OFF key removed from ignition.
-Disconnect the wire that plugs into the bottom of the shock.
-Turn the car ON (engine running). you should get the failure immediately.
-Turn OFF and re-connect the cables. DONE.

Original symptoms: I have 07 Sport and my front struts were making clank noise on all bumps and very stiff. They felt as if they were not absorbing any bumps which made the ride very bumpy.
Thanks Sunny! I will try this. If it can save me from spending almost $2k to replace both struts I'm in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 2012 with Tech. Does my car come with the ADS? We had a 2003 E500 that came with active suspension. Even with very good after market replacement, it would cost about 1K per corner. That's one of the reason we traded for the MDX. A dealer in VA gave us a discount of 8K and that was the deal clincher!

1 - 20 of 574 Posts