Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an extended warranty notice today from Acura. It states that the ADS suspension warranty on my 2008 MDX Elite (Sport) is extended to 160,000 KM (100,000 miles) in Canada. For repairs already done they want receipts submitted. This is good news.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I received one too today. I already swapped my rears to regular shocks and added resistors. and I changed the shocks myself. wonder how that would work out for me. might have to call Acura Canada about this.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Anything for USA models? This was the only reason I purchased Acura Care because my front went out at 35,000 miles (now close to 80k).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Usually warranty extensions occur first in the US and a few weeks later in Canada. On the surface Acura US and Acura Canada appear to operate as independent companies. In practice their policies are often identical. I would be very surprised if Acura US does not step up to the plate soon.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was wondering if US would get any love with the recall? Though we're already over 100k so I'm guessing we would be SOL either way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
this is good news. It is for 4 shocks or just front?

What if I already did the conversion to standard shocks a few months ago?

I have a 2009 Elite MDX. Did not received the letter yet

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It would suck if you had a sport/elite version converted from magnetic shocks/struts to regular before the warranty was announced, Acura converted you back to magnetic, and they failed AGAIN at 100,001 miles. It might not be worth fixing if you made the mag-to-reg conversion already depending on you mileage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
recieved mine too but only till December 2016 is my warranty

·
Registered
48 Posts
We did ours a year ago and cost about $2100. When I was at the dealer doing TB the service advisor mentioned the warranty to me as I did not get a letter. They had a look and it seems fine. He mentioned we might entertain the option of changing the rears (we did the front) before Dec 2016.

Once they replace them they should be good for a while. If they fail I would think they will replace again for free. I will send my docs to them to try to get my $$ back for the paid repair. Will also contact the dealer to see if we can do the rears even if they are not making noise or having issues. Will see if that goes well.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Will also contact the dealer to see if we can do the rears even if they are not making noise or having issues. Will see if that goes well.
They won't be able to. That's called "selling warranty", and goes against the dealer agreement for every car manufacturer. A dealership cannot make repairs to a vehicle under warranty without a customer complaint unless it is a safety related issue.

For example, if a service advisor sees an unusual wear pattern on a leather seat that is a manufacturing defect, he or she cannot just go ahead and replace the seat cover without a customer bringing it to the attention of the advisor. This isn't just Acura, it's every car line. That's why it's good to pay close attention to things and study the vehicle warranty carefully.

In your case, they will have to send the shocks back to Acura as defective. If they inspect them and find no defects, the dealership could potentially be debited for the claim. Not very likely, but unless there's something actually wrong with them, I doubt the dealer will be willing to risk it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
2013 Advance 27K miles, just noticed a small bluish-black puddle on my garage floor at my driver side rear wheel. Does anybody know if this is the color of the fluid in the ADS shocks? My local dealer told me they inspected it but could find no evidence of a leak and indicated that they thought it might be washer fluid (??).

Thanks,
-Mojo

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
2013 Advance 27K miles, just noticed a small bluish-black puddle on my garage floor at my driver side rear wheel. Does anybody know if this is the color of the fluid in the ADS shocks? My local dealer told me they inspected it but could find no evidence of a leak and indicated that they thought it might be washer fluid (??).

Thanks,
-Mojo
Depending on when you 13 MDX was purchased, you could be reaching the end of the 4/50,000 basic warranty due to time instead of mileage. I purchased my MDX Adv used Jan/14 with 30K and called the Acura warranty folks to double-check on how much time I had left on the basic warranty. My MDX was originally leased Jan/11 and the basic expired Jan/15. I was hoping for more time; but, that gave me almost 12 months of worry free driving before I needed to think about getting an extended Acura Care warranty (only because of the magnetic suspension). My front magnetic struts went out at 37,000 miles 6 months later and I was covered by the basic warranty (drove the same, no leaks, knocking noise over bumps).

That worried me enough to get a 5/120K extended Acura Care warranty in Nov/14 for $2400. Of Course, after +43k, zero issues with the suspension.

I would make sure to have the dealership document the issue, I would power wash the area to see if it leaks again, double-check on the 4/50,000 basic coverage, and compare out-of-pocket replacement compared to Acura Care warranty cost if you are planning to keep the MDX for a while.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Thanks,
-Mojo
If you got your MDX as a CPO then you will still have at least 1+ year of worrry free bumper to bumper warranty. It is whatever the original warranty when new + 1yr/12,000 miles on top. You should have it checked and documented and drice through some potholes on that side to see if there are noises coming from that side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I checked the databases, and nothing in there on any US extended warranty at this time.....
How can Acura US get away with not mirroring what Acura CA did? It seems that Acura US reached out to certain geographical areas to make sure that these failures didn't lead to a full blown recall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Depending on when you 13 MDX was purchased, you could be reaching the end of the 4/50,000 basic warranty due to time instead of mileage. I purchased my MDX Adv used Jan/14 with 30K and called the Acura warranty folks to double-check on how much time I had left on the basic warranty. My MDX was originally leased Jan/11 and the basic expired Jan/15. I was hoping for more time; but, that gave me almost 12 months of worry free driving before I needed to think about getting an extended Acura Care warranty (only because of the magnetic suspension). My front magnetic struts went out at 37,000 miles 6 months later and I was covered by the basic warranty (drove the same, no leaks, knocking noise over bumps).

That worried me enough to get a 5/120K extended Acura Care warranty in Nov/14 for $2400. Of Course, after +43k, zero issues with the suspension.

I would make sure to have the dealership document the issue, I would power wash the area to see if it leaks again, double-check on the 4/50,000 basic coverage, and compare out-of-pocket replacement compared to Acura Care warranty cost if you are planning to keep the MDX for a while.
Thanks for the feedback guys, my local dealer seems inclined to glance over my concerns regarding the puddles of blue, so I will continue to press..

I got my Advance new in April of 2013, so I'm still covered under the basic warranty but strongly considering the extended warranty since it seems that I am likely to end up with issues on the ADS shocks. . I came out ahead on my '06 RL AcuraCare extension after active headlight and a torque converter replacement. Love the tech, getting used to the risk! :)

-Mojo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can't say, not sure. I checked the database again just a few minutes ago, nothing new.
Would you think that the Acura US extended warranty, if offered, would also be 100K miles? And do you know if there is a time factor employed too? Meaning "X" years or 100K miles, which ever comes first.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts