Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new to me 2015 MDX sh-awd w/Advance and will be trailering a small boat. The car came with a donut spare but the manual recommends a full size spare if trailering.

My plan is to purchase a stock rim from a used parts supplier, add a tire and hope I never need to use it. If I follow this plan can eliminate the TPMS sensor in the spare?

Does the TPMS currently monitor the spare(in my case the donut)? If not then my plan should be fine. I just don't want some trouble light permanently glowing on the dash showing that the spare as not being detected?

·
Registered
73 Posts
no, it doesn't monitor the spare. but actually, the tpms in my 2016 is so wrong anyway, I don't trust it. My FL/RL stuck at 41psi, FR/RR jump from 38 to 41psi after 5 mins of driving. I trust the $5 manual stick more.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
^ same problem. Shows 37 actual is like 35. The dealer keeps readjusting my tires to 35, so I had to tell them to stop because they were actually giving me ~32 psi. All these gadgets... all so useless and just more weight.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My FL/RL stuck at 41psi, FR/RR jump from 38 to 41psi after 5 mins of driving.
Maybe your parking spot has the left side in the sun and the right side in the shade and when you start driving the right side heats up? The shady side versus the sunny side makes a noticeable difference in pressure. It's normal for pressures to increase while driving. It's not normal to have 41psi in a tire cold unless you purposely set it higher than the factory recommended setting of 35psi.

I find the TPMS quite accurate - it agrees with my hand held dial tire pressure gauge.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yes, I put in 41psi because it turns sharper.
I park inside the garage all the time and I am seeing this every morning. I am in Denver, a mile above sea level, maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I put in 41psi because it turns sharper
There seem to be a lot of people who seem to think 'more pressure must be better'. Bumping up or down the pressure can have a lot of effects on handling (which is why you say you're doing it) but also on whether the tire wears evenly or not, tire longevity, ride, load bearing, etc. I stick with the factory recommended pressure of 35. On yours you might want to keep an eye on the tire wear and make sure the center of the tire doesn't wear unevenly from the outer edges, which is something that can happen when overinflated.

When you're in the garage and the TPMS indicates 41 on the left side and 38 on the right side have you double checked it with a decent handheld gauge to see if it matches? If it matches then you have one side inflated more than the other side. If it shows all 4 tires to be the same pressure then the TPMS is off and you should ask your dealer about it. If that even seems off then try a second handheld (of a different design than the first one) and see if you can get a 2 out of 3 match so you know which is likely accurate.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
joebucko - The non-awd MDXs come without a spare at all so a 5th TPMS clearly doesn't need to be present. I have an awd and only the 4 tires are indicated on the display - not the spare. I assume the spare doesn't have a TPMS but I haven't checked it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I ordered my used wheel today. It comes off a wrecked 2015 MDX, has slight cosmetic issues(scuffs and scratches) but otherwise perfect for my full size spare application.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks all. I ordered my used wheel today. It comes off a wrecked 2015 MDX, has slight cosmetic issues(scuffs and scratches) but otherwise perfect for my full size spare application.
i was thinking about doing the same.

How much was it for the wheel and tire (if attached) from the salvage yard?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was thinking about doing the same.

How much was it for the wheel and tire (if attached) from the salvage yard?
The 19" wheel(no tire) from a 2015 MDX was $148 ($100 for wheel + shipping). They had [email protected]$150 each and the blemished $100 I bought. I then found a used tire place on-line where I was able to buy a used Michelin Latitude (exact match for what is on my car) at $58 including shipping. It will cost me $16 to have it mounted and balanced so for a total of $222 I will have a full size spare. I figure I can probably sell my unused donut spare for almost that much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts