Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2016 sh-awd, when changing engine oil and the filter, I poured exactly 5.7 us quarts new oil, as recommended by the manual, but the oil stick shows the oil level is above the upper limit.
I checked the oil level in several different ways, cold in the morning before start; start the engine for ~3 seconds, check the oil level right away when the engine is warm; wait for ~3 min after stopping the engine after driving; they all show the oil level is above the upper limit, approx 0.5cm
I talked to the dealer, on the phone they can only suggest me to go there and readjust it for me. Then one time I went in person and ask the service guy, he actually said don't follow the manual, because acura doesn't want people to do it themselves. What he suggested is add 5 us quarts first, then slowly pour more and more until the desired level is reached.
What I did eventually is to drain some out to reach the desired level
Do anyone have similar experience? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
584 Posts
He is totally right, you never know how much did you drain out, what i usually do is, pour .5qt into the filter first, then pour 5 qt into the dip stick, my level will somewhere near the middle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Similar experience here just two weeks ago. It was the first time I had done the change myself on my new-to-me MDX. I bought two 5-qt jugs of oil from Walmart for ~$23 each. Used an STP extra life filter from autozone which was a bit smaller than the Honda filter that was on it from the last oil change. Only ended up using one of the 5-qt jugs, even after filling the filter. Oil level right in the middle of the dipstick. I searched youtube and a few previous threads from this forum and most owners only add 5 qts, maybe a splash more. I guess this is normal. At least I have oil ready for my next change!

Reactions: al-n-ak

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Yep i never add the last bit (anything less than a quart) until i check the stick first. You'll never drain the book amount. Or better yet get a drain bucket with measurements on the side and check it before you refill.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are good to go :) I also talked to an old mechanic, he said the same manual is used for different cars, don't reply on it completely, the manual made it sounds very serious when the oil is above the upper limit, the mechanic said no need to get over stressed about it, and as long as the add oil light is not on, you are good, that's just his opinion

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah same happened to me and I posted on an old thread asking what’s the deal but nobody responded. Mine was 3/4 full after just 5qt with filter change.

Overfilling the oil may lead to issues with “the seals” is what my uncle told me (mechanic), though I don’t quite understand why.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve found the opposite to be true. With filter change I usually can put almost a full 6 quarts and be just barely above the full line. I think the variable is how much oil you’re draining out. Also with the drain plug near the rear of the engine you usually can get more out if you’re on ramps rather than level on a lift. Changing with the oil warmed up a bit also helps to drain more out.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I’ve done over a dozen oil changes on the 3rd gen MDX. Everytime it’s about 5.5 quarts. That is if you also change the oil filter and give a few to let it drain

I don’t even bother looking anymore.

trans is 4 quarts

rear diff is just under 3 - after you drain and fill you gotta drive it around and fill it again, you’ll get some more in there.

Transfer case is about half maybe a bit less.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve found the opposite to be true. With filter change I usually can put almost a full 6 quarts and be just barely above the full line. I think the variable is how much oil you’re draining out. Also with the drain plug near the rear of the engine you usually can get more out if you’re on ramps rather than level on a lift. Changing with the oil warmed up a bit also helps to drain more out.
Thank you for sharing your experience! Warming up the car before drain is the right thing to do as I read, some people also lifted up the front to help drain out more, I am gonna try it too in the next oil change

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve done over a dozen oil changes on the 3rd gen MDX. Everytime it’s about 5.5 quarts. That is if you also change the oil filter and give a few to let it drain

I don’t even bother looking anymore.

trans is 4 quarts

rear diff is just under 3 - after you drain and fill you gotta drive it around and fill it again, you’ll get some more in there.

Transfer case is about half maybe a bit less.
Thank you for sharing your experience for filling the rear diff! I will drive and see if I can get in some more

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since my driveway is not perfectly level, not sure my dipstick is accurate.....basically, I pre-fill the filter with "leftover" oil, fill the crankcase with a 5 qt jug, then just "eyeball" additional 0.5 qt or so. I am sure I am over / under every time but no issues last dozen times or so. On a side note, I put my car on a Rhino Ramp so more oil may be drained..tranny = measure what came out and put the exact amount back in. Diff = insert the tube as deep as possible and seem to get all 3 qt in. Next time, I will check more closely and if I can't get all 3 qt in, drive around a bit. Oh, I put my rear wheels on the ramp for rear diff and not sure this "angle" allows more diff fluid to go in...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Never really had an issue with my 17 MDX 3.5 liter nor the other 11 Honda’s and Acura’s I have had going back to an 83 Civic. After warming up the engine and then draining, I generally put in approx. .2 to .3 qts less than the owners manually indicates, then adjust from there after letting the engine run 5-10 minutes and rechecking. All of them generally came within .1 to .2 qts plus or minus of what the owners manual says their capacity is. And I always change the filter when changing oil. Not sure why you wouldn’t. On the V6 Honda’s you can put some oil in the filter before screwing it on which I recommend, but you really can’t with the 4 cylinder models as they usually screw in sideways.
Some of the issues some of you probably have is because the car might not be level. I actually level my cars out while draining and I let them drain a good 1/2 hr or more. And I’m a stickler when filling ..... I go right to the upper mark of the dipstick.

·
Registered
2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD
40 Posts
I just changed mine today and ended up adding 5.5 quarts...put me right in the middle of the hash marks. Drained on ramps until it was just a slow dripping from the pan. I'm new to the MDX and unfamiliar with the extent of fuel dilution, so especially heading into the winter months I'm going to leave the oil right in the middle and monitor to see if I can see a noticeable creep upwards or not towards the end of the OCI.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fortunately my garage floor is level, but I still like to jack my vehicle up a bit to change the oil n filter. But I lower the jack after taking the drain plug out. Then jack it back up after draining to reinstall the plug and finish the job. While jacked up, it’s always a good time to check the underneath part of the car to check axle drive boots, look for leaks, damage, potential problems, etc. Also did tire rotations on many cars while oil was draining. I’ve lived in 7 different homes over my 45 plus years of oil changes and all the garage floors were very near level.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lucky you. My old house in California had perfectly flat garage and driveway since it was built in 1949. Had some problem with draining but never flooded. Other places in NV, OR and currently WA, they build garages not level at all, built with drainage in mind.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A bit off topic but building code require garage floor to have a slight slope (approx 1/8” - 1/4” per foot).

IRC '03... section R309 is Garages and Carports

“309.3 The area of the floor used for parking of automobiles or other vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids to a drain or toward the main vehicle entry doorway.”

1 - 20 of 20 Posts