Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I moved from my 05' TL to my 13' MDX Advance one thing that irked me was Acura's fumble, not adding a 12v power source to the armrest. I, like some others, didn't want to see wires all around to charge my phone etc. So I read through the suggestions on here and Acurazine etc, but didn't really want to drill a hole for a cig lighter or cut into my factory wiring. So, after looking online at many cheap Chinese crap setups, I stumbled onto this little dual USB charger at Walmart for under $8. Here is a quick install description for those who want a clean, factory looking install.

-First off I took the 12v charger end part apart and clipped the wires.

-I then popped off the rear of the center console to expose the rear 12v power outlet.

-I then made a fused harness, crimping the proper connections to match the factory backseat 12v power outlet.

-I then ran the wire for the USB charger through the small hole next to the factory USB/Aux unit in the armrest, pulled it through to the rear, and crimped it into the harness.

-I then cleaned the mounting spot for the USB unit with alcohol and attached it to the inside of the armrest, connected the harness I made, then replaced the rear of the center console.

Works perfect, and looks Factory! NO DRILLING OR CUTTING/TAPPING OF FACTORY WIRING!

Only issue I noticed later is that there is a green light in the USB unit which is pretty BRIGHT (Looks like Alien through the armrest at night lol). So either take the USB unit apart and clip the LED out or place a piece of electrical tape over the light.

Hope this helps others who want a clean and easy option!

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Why not just use the provided USB for charging? Seems to work fine for me..
I was wondering the same thing.

I guess if you want faster charging? Or two devices? I'm grasping at straws, though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not just use the provided USB for charging? Seems to work fine for me..
Because it doesn't charge, that would have been an obvious solution. I tried it with various wires, two different phones etc...Does not provide charging, just data transfer. (Shows "charging" on phone, but doesn't). I have a 13' Advance without the entertainment package.

From reading many other threads I assumed it was just for data transfer, not charging. If my oem USB does charge, it must take four years to get a phone to 50%...

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Because it doesn't charge, that would have been an obvious solution. I tried it with various wires, two different phones etc...Does not provide charging, just data transfer. (Shows "charging" on phone, but doesn't). I have a 13' Advance without the entertainment package.

From reading many other threads I assumed it was just for data transfer, not charging. If my oem USB does charge, it must take four years to get a phone to 50%...

You are right that usb is just for data transfer or playing music only. It does charge however It will take 1 hours to get 1% of charge. That usb is not for charging!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.