Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My 5 series lease is ending soon. I'm seriously considering a base model MDX. Adaptive Cruise Control is a must have for me considering the massive amounts of driving I do. I was contemplating getting a Tesla Model 3 but due to lack of charging availability I decided not to.

How does the MDX's adaptive cruise compare to other brands (i.e. Volvo, Infiniti, Mercedes Benz). I have seen some so-so reviews on Edmunds but I thought I would check here to get more of an accurate picture. Looking for something that works really good in Stop & Go traffic.

Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
Interesting technology for sure. Generally on freeways it works quite well IMHO. We live 13 miles out of town down a 2 lane then 4 lane highway. There are times on the 2 lane section it will sense a car ahead and brake, especially on sweeping right hand turns it seea the oncoming cars. Same thing happens if I happen to be in the center lane and cars are in the left turn lane. I suspect the field of view for the sensor is a bit too wide. But I got used to it and now does not bother me.
I have never driven another car with adaptive cruise, so I have no basis of comparison of how Acuras works.
Talking to me service manager who happens to be a MB dealership also he says MBs are way more maintenance hungry, so I would pass on those. You might look at the Kia Teliruide or the Hyundai twin for comparisons

·
Registered
588 Posts
I drove an 19 TLX and 20 RDX, both has lane keeping assist and ACC, both are working good, but TLX is more stable in the middle of the lane, but ACC on these 2 only works on mph above 25.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I've noticed the Acura ACC can be slow to respond, can wander out the lane on curves, and late to brake when needed. I feels like it is designed to assit the driver a little bit and used as an emergency back-up compared to auto drive system you see with Tesla. Works fine for me on the open hwy with low-med traffic. High traffic or bumper-to-bumper commuter traffic may require you to work the gas/brake/steering more to keep the tighter intervals.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I've noticed the Acura ACC can be slow to respond, can wander out the lane on curves, and late to brake when needed. I feels like it is designed to assit the driver a little bit and used as an emergency back-up compared to auto drive system you see with Tesla. Works fine for me on the open hwy with low-med traffic. High traffic or bumper-to-bumper commuter traffic may require you to work the gas/brake/steering more to keep the tighter intervals.
ACC has nothing to do with keeping car in its lane. ACC works great in stop and go traffic. Sometimes it’s a little slow to respond to the car in front speeding up. But generally works well. I would suggest driving different cars. I drove 2 MB with ACC. Both errored out when I tried it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've used it on 2014 Q7, 2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan, my partner's 2019 Mazda CX-5, and now my 2017 MDX. The MDX works 0-90mph but the minimum speed you can set it to is 25, but it still works below that speed. When it brings the car to a full stop it holds the brake, which is something that my Q7 did not do. The Q7 would bring you to a stop, then let go of the brakes after a 2 second pause. The MDX will hold the brake for 3 seconds then resume if traffic continues, otherwise it says "stopped" in the instrument cluster and will resume ACC when you tap the accelerator pedal or click the "RES" button on the steering wheel. Overall I think the MDX system works very well, but it is not the smoothest system out there. The CX-5 is very smooth in its braking (almost rubbery) but in doing so it often gets too close to the car ahead and does not maintain the set distance gap (briefly, of course). The MDX is more abrupt with the brakes because it does not want to get closer than the set gap. I can drive the car smoother than it can when I have passengers in the car, but for just me, I find it a convenient feature that makes my hour long commute much less stressful.

That said, only you know what you will be happy with so try it out yourself.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
ACC has nothing to do with keeping car in its lane. ACC works great in stop and go traffic. Sometimes it’s a little slow to respond to the car in front speeding up. But generally works well. I would suggest driving different cars. I drove 2 MB with ACC. Both errored out when I tried it.
I use Lane keeping and Road Departure along with ACC and CMBS. I find using all four is less fatiguing on long drives with the steering inputs/warnings along with ACC/CMBS. Very nice to have when I had a +11 hour drive from ABQ to San Antonio. Something the OP can double-check with other autos as (s)he test drives vehicles.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Thanks guys! I ended up getting the car tonight.
What do you think of the Acura ACC compared to the 5-series? I've not driven a BMW recently but IMHO the Honda/Acura ACC is crap compared to most others I've driven. When you're following someone, the Acura feels like a drunk is controlling the throttle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you think of the Acura ACC compared to the 5-series? I've not driven a BMW recently but IMHO the Honda/Acura ACC is crap compared to most others I've driven. When you're following someone, the Acura feels like a drunk is controlling the throttle.
My 5 series didn't have it so I can't compare it to anyone. Surprisingly, my 2019 Civic's CMBS and ACC work better than my MDX's.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My 5 series didn't have it so I can't compare it to anyone. Surprisingly, my 2019 Civic's CMBS and ACC work better than my MDX's.
The number one complaint I have with my ACC is it is slow to respond and downshift when it needs to accelerate or close the gap in yo-yo traffic. I sometimes use the paddles to accelerate faster or just hit the gas pedal in those situations.

Sometimes in heavy traffic, I set my ACC to 5-10 mph higher than the group speed. Example is like the group speed is 70 mph and I set the ACC to 80 mph. The ACC will still keep the intervals; but, the MDX will accelerate faster to keep set ACC interval if the traffic speed fluctuate 5-10 mph above/below the group avg. I just have to reduce the ACC set speed if the road becomes clear in front of me.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have the same issue with my Advance ACC.....slow response, then hard braking to decelerate; then slow acceleration response, downshifting hard to get to speed.
As would be expected, my S550 has extremely smooth ACC.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi,
My 5 series lease is ending soon. I'm seriously considering a base model MDX. Adaptive Cruise Control is a must have for me considering the massive amounts of driving I do. I was contemplating getting a Tesla Model 3 but due to lack of charging availability I decided not to.

How does the MDX's adaptive cruise compare to other brands (i.e. Volvo, Infiniti, Mercedes Benz). I have seen some so-so reviews on Edmunds but I thought I would check here to get more of an accurate picture. Looking for something that works really good in Stop & Go traffic.

Thanks
You need to stay away from Acura, it might give you some major repair issues that has been mentioned on this forum, stuff like front and rear suspensions breaking on 3 to 4 year old Acuras, excessive oil usage of around a quart every 1,000 miles, no, Acura is not the car company they use to be, instead look at Lexus instead, or if the BMW is running great just buy it at the end of your lease, at least you know how it was taken care of.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
You need to stay away from Acura, it might give you some major repair issues that has been mentioned on this forum, stuff like front and rear suspensions breaking on 3 to 4 year old Acuras, excessive oil usage of around a quart every 1,000 miles, no, Acura is not the car company they use to be, instead look at Lexus instead, or if the BMW is running great just buy it at the end of your lease, at least you know how it was taken care of.
There are oddball failures with every brand. The only vehicle I've made a major powertrain repair to in the last two decades was a Lexus, so by your logic I should swear them off too? Stuff happens. Almost every brand states that 1,000 miles per quart is within reason and BMW/Audi both have models that allow a quart per 750 miles. You can find a problem with every make and model out there so if you scare that easily you're probably best to stay away from car forums.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Additional feedback from owner of 2020 MDX Advanced and a 2017 Outback, both of which have the ACC and LKAS, and the collision braking.

On the Subie, the 6 cyl and the CVT make for a smooth ACC implementation. On the MDX, the 9spd tranny makes it smooth, just not butter-like with the CVT. I think the systems track the car in front equally/similarly, but the vehicle responses to speed up and slow down are more noticeable on the MDX. I like that the Subie has the brake lights on the little car in the dash to give you an idea of how much it’s slowing down. The Subie does a great job of slowing to a stop in traffic, then holding. It will also beep to tell you car ahead has moved to remind you to engage the ACC again (flick up the RES button). I’d say Subie “feels” more natural with all the above.

On the Subie, the lane departure is roughly executed. You get beeps, and you get a tug to return to the lanes, but then the system stops after a few seconds, especially if the curve or departure is anything more than slight. On the MDX, the LKAS is far superior, actually steering one through the curves and subtly staying between the lines. It will track for a long time, and if a hand is resting on the wheel, it stays active. The MDX vibrating wheel is far better than the annoying beeps of the Subie, and the MDX tracks the lanes better than the Subie (judging by the dash indicators that both sides are locked in). The Subie weaves greatly and then quits. I’d say the MDX executes LKAS very well.

YMMV, as I’ve only drive these two with LKAS and ACC. I have driven both of these on long drives (VA to NYC) in heavy traffic, and if I could merge the two best executions, it would seem to be excellent final product. I’m sure other Lux brands have their pros and cons.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
We really don’t know the whole story on the front and rear suspension. I haven’t seen one posting about excessive oil consumption on the 3rd generation. I’ve never had to put oil in my cars. Any car can have problems. Even BMW owners tell you that if you don’t DIY,think about selling before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
We really don’t know the whole story on the front and rear suspension. I haven’t seen one posting about excessive oil consumption on the 3rd generation. I’ve never had to put oil in my cars. Any car can have problems. Even BMW owners tell you that if you don’t DIY,think about selling before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used ACC extensively on my XC90. After about a month of using it on the MDX, I was not happy with it in traffic, so turned it off and have never used again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Disagree. I have had a 2015 MDX and now a 2017 hybrid MDX. I have had two BMWs and five Audi’s. The Acuras are light years better, in terms of reliability, and are every bit as reliable as any cars that I have owned in the last 10 years, knock on wood of course. Further, I can’t think of any SUV that would better suit our needs than the MDX. I will not consider another German car on the basis of reliability and cost of repairs. Both my wife and I hate to look at the grill of a Lexus, even though neither of us are particular about style - we find the Lexus styling to be outright offensive. I own an Infiniti and like it a lot, but I don’t think the SUV has the value of the MDX. The Volvo seems great from a design and performance standpoint, but it isn’t a pillar of reliability, is pricey, and I don’t even know where I could find a Volvo dealer on most of our over-the-road travels. The new Kia and Hyundai are possibilities, I suppose. In summary, I really hope that Acura gets it right with the next generation MDX because I am going to want a new car in the next couple of years.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts