Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Among the most debated topics regarding the '22 MDX is whether Acura should have supplied a touch screen instead of the True Touch Interphase or TTIP. Some have actually asked for both. Ironically, Acura actually makes a touch screen available except they don't advertise it as such. This touchscreen feature is accessible if you download the Cabin Control app from either the Apple Store or Google.

With Cabin Control installed on your phone and linked to the car through your vehicle's Wi-Fi, your cell phone acts as a touch screen and with the exception of one or two features, you or your passengers (with your permission) can run almost every infotainment feature in the MDX: navigation, audio (radio, USB, Bluetooth etc.), CarPlay, Android Auto and even the rear climate controls, a feature which is not available from the TTIP. Everything you do on your phone is replicated on the infotainment screen. In short, you can control the infotainment screen from your phone by touch without ever having to interact with the TTIP pad!

Acura doesn't advertise this feature I suspect, because, then, the question would be why not simply replace TTIP with this. And for whatever reason, they want to be the TTIP brand. I personally have no problems with TTIP, but for those of you who want a touch screen, Cabin Control is your answer. Acura may choose to go "touch" one of these days, but until they do, just download that app!:)
Very good & indeed valuable information

· Registered
2 Posts
Yes but the screen is properly placed further in the dashboard (aligned with line of sight) and therefore too far to reach from comfortable driving position - a smart decision on Acura's part.

I laugh when people complain about touch screen.

Full disclosure, I'm typing this on a computer that has no touch screen.
Sure, but if you look at automobiles, it's rare to find a nav display that doesn't have touch screen, it's the accepted way of doing business.

I do see your point about placement of the display, and perhaps it's better placed than one that needs touch interaction. I might play with that next time I'm at a dealer. The idea turned me off about 5 years ago when I was looking...and never changed vehicles. Maybe it's not the anti-feature I fear it is, but it's hard to know how infrequent drivers of it (wife, family) might feel about it. I wonder how many other customers walk away because of this feature?

· Registered
2022 MDX Technology
47 Posts
Great to know that. I have Cabin Control installed long ago but never dig through. Will definitely try it out as sometime trying to set a destination is so difficult when the phone is connected to the car and you don't have access Google Maps on the phone.

· Registered
147 Posts
I don't mind not having a touch screen. The Acura OS works just fine without a touch screen. However, I use CarPlay majortiy of the time and CarPlay does NOT support TrueTouch. The touchpad simply turns in to a crude mouse. This is terrible!
It's terrible that they released the True Touch Pad even though its function is useless when running CarPlay or Android Auto.

· Registered
11 Posts
I don't mind not having a touch screen. The Acura OS works just fine without a touch screen. However, I use CarPlay majortiy of the time and CarPlay does NOT support TrueTouch. The touchpad simply turns in to a crude mouse. This is terrible!
It's terrible that they released the True Touch Pad even though its function is useless when running CarPlay or Android Auto.
I agree. The touch pad works well in the normal infotainment system. Took less than a week to get use to it and not even think about it anymore. However, since I use CarPlay most of the time it is horrible! Touch screen would be 1000 times better. Only hope is Apple will allow access to the API so Acura can make an update to use the pad correctly with CarPlay.

· Registered
489 Posts
I agree. The touch pad works well in the normal infotainment system. Took less than a week to get use to it and not even think about it anymore. However, since I use CarPlay most of the time it is horrible! Touch screen would be 1000 times better. Only hope is Apple will allow access to the API so Acura can make an update to use the pad correctly with CarPlay.
Can get a touchscreen in this car....if you buy it in the form of the 2023 Pilot haha

· Registered
106 Posts
Sure, but if you look at automobiles, it's rare to find a nav display that doesn't have touch screen, it's the accepted way of doing business.

I do see your point about placement of the display, and perhaps it's better placed than one that needs touch interaction. I might play with that next time I'm at a dealer. The idea turned me off about 5 years ago when I was looking...and never changed vehicles. Maybe it's not the anti-feature I fear it is, but it's hard to know how infrequent drivers of it (wife, family) might feel about it. I wonder how many other customers walk away because of this feature?
I'm replacing my MDX and it's why I've not bought a new one. My wife and I went to the dealer and looked at one. The lack of touchscreen is the major sticking issue that has caused us to look elsewhere. Will we buy another brand? I don't know. But we're seriously considering it. And for the first time since 1996 I don't own a Honda or Acura.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts