Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acura's rep was very nice and understanding, however, he could only offer the following:

A) It's a known problem
B) It is due to brake calipers "floating" (or rather moving)
C) There is no fix in the works
D) The shim fix is not known to resolve the problem and is not recommended
E) Future models may have a fix, but it's not promised and even if delivered, it will not be applied to current owners
F) The clunking is an offical "characteristic" of the MDX (and should be a consideration for all shoppers out there)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
CONTACT ACURA

For those of you who have problems with the clunking, I'd encourage you to also contact Acura and let them know what you're experiencing.

Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time at the toll-free phone number (800) 382-2238

You'll need your VIN number if you call.

If you're outside of the US, you can call them at : 1-888-922-8729

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: Re: Acura's 800# Response to Brake Clunk

DaleB said:

Excellent! If you are looking for 'brake clunk' you could not get it in a finer SUV!

:rolleyes:
Hmm, that would classify the 'clunk' as a "feature"... great...

Thanks for the info colemanpc.:4:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I haven't experienced the brake clunk yet but wouldn't that qualify as something under the lemon laws - take it in three times to fix the "problem" :awais: - no fixee, it becomes Acura's problem.

It certainly isn't a known feature of the MDX - or at least my 2002 literature doesn't mention it, and it's not a characteristic of or found on other modern vehicle disc brake systems - volia, PROBLEM that needs FIXING by Acura on ALL MDX's that experience the PROBLEM!!:25:

·
Registered
50 Posts
MDXdogmom said:
I haven't experienced the brake clunk yet but wouldn't that qualify as something under the lemon laws - take it in three times to fix the "problem" :awais: - no fixee, it becomes Acura's problem.

It certainly isn't a known feature of the MDX - or at least my 2002 literature doesn't mention it, and it's not a characteristic of or found on other modern vehicle disc brake systems - volia, PROBLEM that needs FIXING by Acura on ALL MDX's that experience the PROBLEM!!:25:
My dealer wouldn't even write it up as a problem....they said all MDX's do it and there's no issue. It's gonna be tough to get 3 no fixes to go after a lemon law if they won't even write it up as a "problem".

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
MDXdogmom said:

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is a defect or is broken.... lemon lay only appllies to a defect. A defect has a legal definition. Either fails to me mfg specifications or represents a failure to meet a reasonable expectation.

Can you imagine how much you'd spend to get it to the point that a jury would consider if a 'clunk' is objectionable....especially if it was on other cars you test drove, or it is the same noise level as other manner of road/mechanical noises...

Personally, I find Acura's multiple claims of various noises to be "normal features" to be chicken****.... but then again, Acura isn't a high end car company.

Ard

·
Registered
206 Posts
...agreed....in addition, the number of occurrances ('3') is not the case in California....it's 4..........not sure what it is in other states.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
In the United States use 1-800-382-2238

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paul,
Nice catch. I didn't realize I used the Canadian number. I revised the original message so users don't have to scroll so far down to get the US number.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 2002 Honda S2000 does this too... Especially when stepping on the brakes while going backwards... MUCH louder when the tops down.. Must be a honda thing. :1pat:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts