Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be getting conflicting information from what I am reading on the internet (big surprise!)

From what I understand, live traffic is only available using XM Satellite, which unfortunately is not available in Canada. I found this the hard way driving my buddy and I to the Bon Jovi concert (yes, I am that old) last night in Toronto. My updated 2017 DVD said it would take about 42 minutes to get to the arena from my buddy's place. It took is 1.75 hours. Halfway through while I was stuck on a main highway I realized that my 2008 navigation system does not offer live traffic / rerouting due to traffic. I kind of regret getting that updated DVD for over $200.00, but that is neither here nor there right now.

Yes, I can go back to using my phone and Google maps - I was hoping there is a way to integrate maybe my phone's live data for traffic into the Acura navi system. I am told that AcuraLink is the way to go. I got the app, created and account and then added my cars, and then it told me when I started the app that it only works on 2014+ MDXes.

So it looks like I have a navigation system without much intelligence. Can anyone confirm if there are any alternatives to integrate phone data into the onboard navigation system? Would be interested in any creative alternatives you found out. Bear in mind I am in Canada...

Thank you all, as always for your feedback.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Subscribing...

I just realized my 2010 (US) needs XM to provide traffic and weather. I am not signing up for XM so is there anyway around this? Also is the disc the only way to update the maps?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subscribing...

I just realized my 2010 (US) needs XM to provide traffic and weather. I am not signing up for XM so is there anyway around this? Also is the disc the only way to update the maps?
For my 2008, which uses the DVD, yes, the DVD is the only way to update the maps. I really only bought the 2017 version as the 2008 version is missing a lot of things and when I last went out for dinner with my Dad, I dropped by what I thought was my bank to get out some cash, only to drive around the shopping complex to realize the bank is no longer there...it moved locations 4 years ago. So I got the updated DVD.

I think in your 2010, it may use a hard drive, so I'm not sure if it's still a DVD, but loaded into the hard drive for faster loading, but either way, the maps are updated, but no real time traffic data.

Even if I wanted to subscribe to the XM traffic package, it is not available in Canada. So I actually am starting to think that there is no other option for me, for my 2008, other than go back to using my cell phone and Google maps. I am hoping someone here proves me wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts