Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread. AcuraAddicted, keep up the great work!!! Make Acura Great Again is an awesome series....I'm a subscriber!!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
replacement is holding up? Could you give us your review?
Hey! It's holding up just fine, no issues. Honestly, I wouldn't expect any given it's only been less than 4000 miles on it since the installation. But so far, so good, I haven't noticed any difference in handling or ride quality with the OEM one. The clunk is gone, of course.

AcuraAddicted, keep up the great work!!! Make Acura Great Again is an awesome series....I'm a subscriber!!!
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! I will continue later, on a break for now.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey! It's holding up just fine, no issues. Honestly, I wouldn't expect any given it's only been less than 4000 miles on it since the installation. But so far, so good, I haven't noticed any difference in handling or ride quality with the OEM one. The clunk is gone, of course.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! I will continue later, on a break for now.
Awesome. Thanks. I will probably need to replace my LCA soon as well because the clunk is so persistent over a groove payment or deep bumpy street or potholes. I don’t think it’s coming from ADS shock/struts. Did you buy these LCAs from rockauto? I am going to watch your video again. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
the clunk is so persistent over a groove payment or deep bumpy street or potholes. I don’t think it’s coming from ADS shock/struts.
Before replacing an LCA or both, I suggest you spend money on diagnosing what it is if you are not sure yourself. A bad ball joint in LCAs diagnostics is pretty straightforward (I have it in the video).

Did you buy these LCAs from rockauto?
Yes. Both left and right are in the video description. I only replaced the left one.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before replacing an LCA or both, I suggest you spend money on diagnosing what it is if you are not sure yourself. A bad ball joint in LCAs diagnostics is pretty straightforward (I have it in the video).

Yes. Both left and right are in the video description. I only replaced the left one.
I tried to check the ball joint as you demonstrated in your video but I can’t make it to clunk or any movement. I will try again.

I thought you replaced both. Is it recommended to replace both or it doesn’t matter? I might try to replace one side first and see if it will eliminate the clunk on that side.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I tried to check the ball joint as you demonstrated in your video but I can’t make it to clunk or any movement. I will try again.
If no movement/clunk from there, I would leave it alone. If you are having trouble diagnosing, get a mechanic do it (I did, there's no shame in that).

Is it recommended to replace both or it doesn’t matter?
While it would be ideal to replace both if we are talking about a different manufacturer (because there will be inevitable small difference in size), it's not necessary. Obviously, chances are the alignment will be ruined (it was for me), but I got it done, and it's all good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you guys use moog?
Im seeing other options on rockauto...
Beck arney, mevotech...
Much cheaper, anyone try these?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good to know, i dont mind paying for good parts, but dont mind saving a buck where i can either.
If i was going to have to drop 200ish, may as well get Acura's.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Good to know, i dont mind paying for good parts, but dont mind saving a buck where i can either. If i was going to have to drop 200ish, may as well get Acura's.
Honestly, it's too early to tell. I'm going to be happy if it lasts 5 years. This is my first experiment for a non OEM part for MDX outside of brakes (every one of those eperiments failed as I found there are simply no brakes available that are at least equal or better than OEM ones at the price same or cheaper than OEM ones in Canada).

·
Registered
653 Posts
Honestly, it's too early to tell. I'm going to be happy if it lasts 5 years. This is my first experiment for a non OEM part for MDX outside of brakes (every one of those eperiments failed as I found there are simply no brakes available that are at least equal or better than OEM ones at the price same or cheaper than OEM ones in Canada).
Akebono pads

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Front Brake Pads - ACT1280
Rear brake Pads - ACT1281
The cost is almost identical to OEMs. I really don't want to risk the brakes again for the same price. I've installed OEMs 4 years ago at 211K kms, it's been 49K kms since with no issues, no annoying squeals and judging from my last brake service they just hit their 1/2 life (of course, I'm not going to keep them all the way, I'll swap all of the brakes along with new calipers sooner). I'm really happy with them. I know Akebono pads have good reputation, but can it guarantee hassle and pain free experience OEMs do? I don't know.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don’t have good results with akebono pads (worn out to early) and after market rotors (rusted out too early) on my TL. I will stick with OEM PADs and rotors for my X. My OEM rotors are still in great shape after 136k miles.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Akebono was Honda brake manufacturer, not sure if they are at this point.
The cost is almost identical to OEMs. I really don't want to risk the brakes again for the same price. I've installed OEMs 4 years ago at 211K kms, it's been 49K kms since with no issues, no annoying squeals and judging from my last brake service they just hit their 1/2 life (of course, I'm not going to keep them all the way, I'll swap all of the brakes along with new calipers sooner). I'm really happy with them. I know Akebono pads have good reputation, but can it guarantee hassle and pain free experience OEMs do? I don't know.
Akebono was Honda brake manufacturer, not sure if they are at this point. I was running OEM front brakes till 80k-85k, when i changed them they still had some life left. Problem is Honda undersized rotors they tend to last up to 50k.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I don’t have good results with akebono pads (worn out to early) and after market rotors (rusted out too early) on my TL. I will stick with OEM PADs and rotors for my X. My OEM rotors are still in great shape after 136k miles.

Slider pins or brake cylinder problems, not pads fault.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts