Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Which do you prefer- Acura OEM Mats or the Weathertech Mats?

• Acura Mts

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Weathertech Mats

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get the rubber mats to protect my new MDX, can I get some feedback on the pros-cons/diffrences/preferences between the Acura Mats and the Weathertech Mats.
Pricewise, they seem to be a push from Tim. My assumption that the Aura Mats are both front and rear for around $90. and the Weathertech Mats are $53 front and $45 rear.
I'm leaning towards the Acura stock mats for the following reasons:
1. they are custom made for the Acura and have the Acura logo
2. they will match the same pattern as the Acura cargo tray I will also get
3. the picture on HAW site of the black weathertech mats has an orange stripe around the border- did anyone else notice this? do the mats Tim ship not have the orange border???

the only reason I am considering the Weathertech mats(sans the orange border) are the deep grooves that will obviously hold dirt, dust and water.

feedback will be appreciated,
Larry

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Hmm, see I'm the first vote, making it a unanimous Weather-Tech choice. My comments:

They're dynamite mats, deep grooves, heavy

They do have a reddish-orange stripe, and say Cannon, for some reason. I don't mind this all that much.

The rear ones interlock, but the kids in back manage to move them around a bit. The front ones stay put reasonably well.

The MDX has a couple tabs in the front to hold down the OEM mats. There are no corresponding holes in the Weathertechs - someday I'm planning to put a couple grommets to be able to use these.

If the OEM mats are the same material as the cargo tray, I'd definitely go with the Weathertechs, it's a much better grade of material, heavy but flexible. I haven't seen the OEMs up close & personal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Depends on condition

You'd have to make the call on your local weather condition and what you do with the X. I'd think the Weathertech would be better for NY.

Out here in the CA Bay Area, we get heavy rain at best. We opted for the OEM mats because of:

1. Logo - looks like it belongs in the car
2. Pattern - matches other accessories, including the step on top of the bumper. Again, looks like it belongs in the car
3. Fit - perfect fit
4. Usage - we don't go into bad weather conditions often

We actually took the car up to Reno and the OEM mats did a fine job with snow and dirt. When we got home, we just hosed them off, let dry, and put it back in. No problem.

I did not vote in the poll because I did not know if you wanted on our opinion in what to get for yourself or what we got. I gave you info instead :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I am in the Bay Area, and experience with my last vehicle (minivan) keep me using Weathertechs. They wear like iron, easily hold that occasional spill, etc., etc.
My new X has Ebony interior and I suspect the highlight of the orange/red outline stripe will look quite sharp.
All a matter of personal choice.
I also had the Weathertech side window deflectors which are superior (snap-in, no tape, optically more clear, quieter) to Ventvisors, but still 'in development' for the MDX.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
ghost said:
If the OEM mats are the same material as the cargo tray, I'd definitely go with the Weathertechs, it's a much better grade of material, heavy but flexible. I haven't seen the OEMs up close & personal.
The Acura mats are not the same as the cargo tray. In fact, I was a little disappointed when my tray arrived and it was much flimsier than the mats. I think the WT are deeper and thicker but my Acuras made it through a Michigan winter (OK it was a mild one) just fine. The Acura mat has a "cut-out" for the dead pedal area (better fit) whereas I think the WT (correct me if I am wrong) covers the dead pedal area (better coverage). I like the Acura mats enough that I may leave them on all summer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
MATS

I bought the heavy duty beige rubber mats from Costco for $20, 2 fronts and 2 rears. They match very nicely with my saddle interior. However, because of only 2 rear pieces, coverage in the rear 2nd seat area is limited. Need to buy another matching set to get total coverage for the 2nd row , but what to do with the other 3 mats. Or, maybe I should just buy the rear set of Weathertech mats for the rear, then I can save the 2 Costco rear mats for the 3rd row seats, which I rarely use. Not sure how they would match up with the front mats.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ACURA OEM MATS

hey- do the acura oem mats cover the whole rear seat location?
is it one form fitting long strip covering the whole rear bench area or are they 2 individual mats providing foot protection for just 2 people?

I myself was thinking about getting the KRACO Rubber Mats from COSTCO for $19.99. They are good quality, have the deep grooves to carry dirt and water, and are cheap. The only worry I have with them- I hate when the little rubbber studs on the backside start falling off and leave a mess on the car floor. But they seem like good quality. Anyone have any experience with KRACO MATS?
Who am I kidding- we all know I'm gonna wind up spending the 90-100 bucks on the Acura OEM Mats!
Larry

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Larry,

The 2nd row Acura mat is 1 long piece -- exactly the same size and shape as the existing carpeted mat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Group Buy/Monthly Special?

maybe we can get Tim to give us a group buy or monthly special for the Acura OEM Mats. Probably too late for May Special, but maybe we can look forward to a JUNE SPECIAL? I would think June would be a good time to unload your stock of winter mats if you were a businessman-right? Demand for the mats probably picks up when winter arrives- not the summer. (sort of like buying winter clothes in the spring!)

hopefully Tim is listening!
Larry
leave a post if your interested in the mats- the more that answer- the more it might gets Tim's attention.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have weathertech mats in my cars. but i think they're overkill... just shake off the shoes of the snow before you get in. also, i got the black ones as i didn't know that they had a red outline nor cannon in red... i would have gotten the grey ones instead and paid a little more (the color ones do not come w/ that border). my fault - their pic shows the border...

as for fit, weathertech basically has a bunch of standard templates. i talked to them about possibly getting a custom (carpet) mat but they don't do anything like that. as they explained to me, they pick the best fit (even if it really isn't totally a best fit - but just ok) and say it is the one for whichever model.

so for both my cars, it happens that the mats don't quite fit so nicely the way an oem would/should. YMMV.

finally, i saw Car&Driver mats at walmart of target and they looked as good as the weathertech mats to me. deep grooves, etc. $20 i think. if they fit the car, i'd get those in a heartbeat!

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Oh, don't worry, I see most posts :D , with the possible exception of vehicle comparisons.

The problem is that I ship these things and include shipping charges in the cost, which is why it's tough to put anything like those on special. The boxes are oversize class, so really by the time all is said and done, there's nothing left to discount.

It all depends on where you live. WeatherTech mats certainly aren't overkill in Buffalo, but probably would be in warmer climates, which is why when someone calls me on the phone for my opinion, my first question is where they live.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Personal taste obviously!

I elected to go for the Acura All weather mats myself. For me personally, they work great and feel like they belong in the MDX (logo, fit, ease of cleaning, etc).
For a Socal dude and his family, I think the BW are overkill . .we don't get extreme rain conditions or snow - - > unless we drive to it. So the lip of the mats do not need to be that thick.
Dusting it off and slippin it back on the anchors are a easy too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I vote for WeatherTech.....I have the rubber WT in my TL, and they are great.....I actually just got a set of WeatherTech Advantage mats for the front of the MDX. They fit very similar to the rubber mats, but they are carpeted, and nicer and more comfortable under foot than the rubber mats. I have not used them in the winter yet, so I can't quite say how good they are in holding water, slush, etc. My friend has them in his X5, and he says they are great....just as good as the rubber mats, but more comforable, and they look nicer. I have them hanging in the garage for the summer...I will try and post some pics of them for you to see.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Some pics of the Advantage Mats

Sorry I don't have any of the mats in the truck....my wife is out with the 'X....here are some pics.....

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
next...

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
The spots you see for anchoring the mats DO NOT line up with the MDX on either the driver or passenger side :(

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
now for the back of the mats.....

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
another....

Attachments

·