Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that 99% of us here drive our X's on paved roads. For the 1% of offroad do you think its a good idea for Acura to provide us with a seminar on how does the VTM4 really works. BMW and Range Rover have a driving school for their vehicle owners which shows them hands on the capabilities of there vehicle. It would be great if Acura also has one for us. What do you guys think???

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was under the impression that while the MDX had a part time 4WD system, it was not designed for off-road use. No lowrange, no transfer case, and the transmission lacks a provision for going over larger objects such as rocks and logs. I think BMW is in the same category (their driving school is a safety course, not off-roading).

Thus, without a lot of redesign you probably should not consider the MDX an off-roader. If you do try it, I recommend adding the towing coolers as off-roading generates alot of heat in an automatic.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It would be great to show how to make the most of the VTM4 system. Jeep has a gathering at Camp Hale (between Vail and Leadville) every year to for the owners to learn and have fun.

It would be even better to have video clips posted on the web with narration to show off what it can do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think the guys out here are not that enthusiastic about this idea...but i think this will help us in situations wherein we need the use of the VTM4 system.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the school sounds like a good idea. If Acura/Honda had an offering, I would consider. I am sure many others would too.

These vehicles can go off road and do some incredible things.
They only need to be driven correctly and within their limits.

Someone to teach and guide would help us learn to enjoy the MDX more fully.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
VTM4 works simply

It's meant for speeds I believe below 20 mph, omly if you can't move and are experiencing wheel spin. It only works in 1st and 2nd gear at low speeds below 20 mph. If this situation occurs engage the VTM4 button on dash and all 4 wheels will engage at the same time to get you out of the position you are in, then you are to dis-engage the VTM4 for regular driving above the 20 mph and putting the shifter back into drive. That's about all the driving school you will need. It's a very simple process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts