Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Honda/Acura ready to own up to the oil consumption problem with J37 engine? A copy of the article below, original document attached.

=========================================================================
Page 1 of 1
Acura Tech Line Summary Article
July 2016 BTS 160705 Version 1
Engine Oil Consumption
AFFECTED VEHICLES
2010−13 MDX, 2011−12 RL, 2010−14 TL, and 2010−13 ZDX
Engine oil consumption may be exceeding client expectations. If you get a vehicle in for an oil consumption concern, be sure to run an oil consumption test using the Engine Oil Consumption Test job aid in SIS.
We anticipate a service bulletin with complete troubleshooting and repair info in the near future. In the meantime, contact Tech Line if you need any help with troubleshooting. And if the vehicle is out of warranty, be sure to contact your DPSM for possible goodwill consideration.
© 2016 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – All Rights Reserved

Attachments

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
2010−13 MDX

This finally put to rest the concern of some folks about the 07-09 consuming oil, AFAIK it has always been the 10 to 13 but some users claimed the 07 to 09 were equally affected.

Its sad because the 6 speedo is really appealing but by no means worth it If the engine is dead on water.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
It will be interesting to see what the TSB recommends as a fix and if they stick to their typical claim that anything less than 1qt per 1,000 miles is normal. I'm not sure I've seen anyone's consumption get to that point around here.

I'm about to cross 90k miles and still not using any oil between changes. I run the MID to 0% using synthetic which is usually an interval of 9k-10k miles.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are rumors about batch of defective rings or rings were installed incorrectly. There are folks who had lower block replaced (TLX) said they were told that Honda had revised the piston rings for the J37.

·
Registered
798 Posts
In some cases, the Alusil lining expands at different rates at low temps. This difference in expansion rates is what can contribute to cylinder scoring leading to oil loss. Couple that to owners that have only used Dino oil and the effect could be exasperated during these conditions.

Why doesn't this happen to all engines then? It would depend on how tight or loose the piston rings were adjusted to during install. Having looser piston rings could reduce the occurance of cylinder scoring during the different expansion but then you have other factors that may affect overall QC and intended specs of the engine.

These were observations based on other Alusil based engines but the j37 could also fall into this camp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Has anyone gone through the dealership diag process and had their motor replaced goodwill?

Also, I'm assuming since it's piston ring / cylinder wall related, there's no easy repair process but has there been any follow up since the July 16 bulletin?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I wonder what is the magic oil consumption number that would result in repair of the J37?

I've been holding steady at no more than 3/4 of quart of syn oil to stay atleast halfway above fill/full line on the dipstick every 8000-8500 mile oil change interval. I could be at around 1 to 1 1/4 quarts if I topped it off to the full line between oil changes.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone gone through the dealership diag process and had their motor replaced goodwill?

Also, I'm assuming since it's piston ring / cylinder wall related, there's no easy repair process but has there been any follow up since the July 16 bulletin?
Has there been follow up since July 2016? One has to talk to the dealer to find out. It's probably an NDA in place between dealers and Honda/Acura NA.

I went to the dealer around this time frame about oil being on the spark plug threads and briefly mentioned oil consumption issue, the service manager told me to drive until the next OCI and come back to him to see how much oil had been consumed. I never went back. I'm currently at 5/8 oil loss at 1600 miles with 5w30 (1/4 - 1/3 loss using 5w20 @ 700 miles). Here's the dilemma, if the oil consumption is due to defective rings, I don't have $6000+ laying around to fix it since my 11 MDX is already 10K over the powertrain warranty. Goodwill? Highly doubted in my case since I don't do oil change at the dealer nor buy the car from them.

There are some 10-13 MDXes do not consume oil at all. I've seen 10-13 Adv parked next to my work place, the tailpipe is prestine shiny stainless steel, not even a speck of black spot. Mine is black soot residue.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I owned my 08 since new and it is now at 93K miles. No oil consumption at all as far as I can tell. I use synthetic oil only.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I owned my 08 since new and it is now at 93K miles. No oil consumption at all as far as I can tell. I use synthetic oil only.
It's because you don't have the Alusil based cylinders that are found on '10+ models.

·
Registered
22 Posts
been awhile since ive visited and this thread peaked my interest -- I have a 2011 Adv and haven't noticed any unusual oil consumption. MID usually accurate with 8500-10k with full synthetic.

·
Registered
903 Posts
It's because you don't have the Alusil based cylinders that are found on '10+ models.
Man, you have to stop that... 07-13 They are all same cylinder coating. THEY ARE ALL NIKASIL!!!! THEY ARE ALL ALSi25CU4Mg.
ALL J37 Engines same bored aluminum.

For your information file attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
^ That was a good read...
I wonder what makes it consume oil then?

·
Registered
903 Posts
^ That was a good read...
I wonder what makes it consume oil then?
I have my guesses, but is only guesses. I don't want to spread anything I don't know...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Well its not like they do not consume oil hahaha and Honda wont ever tell us why though, so your guess is as good as any...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have two, 2011 MDX Elites. My black MDX 60,000km, does not consume oil using dyno oil, from oil change to oil change at the dealer I check the dipstick before I bring it in and its always still full, never an issue. My wifes White MDX 100,000km on the other hand consumes dyno oil like crazy! Been like this ever since we bought it.
Last few oil changes I had to put in 2 quarts each time between oil changes. I go and check the dip stick and its dry ~! Just had that oil change 3-4 months ago and already needed 1 1/2 quarts of oil to bring it back up to the fill mark on the dipstick. Few months after I had to add another quart. Seems like its getting slowly worse as the millage builds on the MDX. The MDX is parked in our garage and there are no oil leaks that we can see, its all from the engine consuming the oil. Furthermore, I found by adding the oil additive, No Smoke/seal.. (I forget the brand name) and using Quaker state high milage dyno oil it slows down the oil consumption! These last two oil changes I haven't been adding the No smoke/seal additive and its gotten a lot worse using up to 2 quarts between changes. I bought some more of the No smoke/seal additive and started using it again and want to see the difference. From my experience here its has to be the engine seals or the cylinder walls that are the issue as discussed in this thread. I haven't brought up the issue yet with the dealer. Next service I will have to mention this. Its out of warranty now, not sure they can or will even do much to fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
You can at least try cleaning/replacing your PCV valve. It is a common fix.

I have two, 2011 MDX Elites. My black MDX 60,000km, does not consume oil using dyno oil, from oil change to oil change at the dealer I check the dipstick before I bring it in and its always still full, never an issue. My wifes White MDX 100,000km on the other hand consumes dyno oil like crazy! Been like this ever since we bought it.
Last few oil changes I had to put in 2 quarts each time between oil changes. I go and check the dip stick and its dry ~! Just had that oil change 3-4 months ago and already needed 1 1/2 quarts of oil to bring it back up to the fill mark on the dipstick. Few months after I had to add another quart. Seems like its getting slowly worse as the millage builds on the MDX. The MDX is parked in our garage and there are no oil leaks that we can see, its all from the engine consuming the oil. Furthermore, I found by adding the oil additive, No Smoke/seal.. (I forget the brand name) and using Quaker state high milage dyno oil it slows down the oil consumption! These last two oil changes I haven't been adding the No smoke/seal additive and its gotten a lot worse using up to 2 quarts between changes. I bought some more of the No smoke/seal additive and started using it again and want to see the difference. From my experience here its has to be the engine seals or the cylinder walls that are the issue as discussed in this thread. I haven't brought up the issue yet with the dealer. Next service I will have to mention this. Its out of warranty now, not sure they can or will even do much to fix the problem.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Replacing PCV won't fix it. I've tried.

I flushed the engine with BG No. 109 and started using 5W-30 grade oil. I'm down 3/4 qt at 1750 miles. It looks like I can get at least 2000/quart. I will be trying 0W-40 Euro Formula on my next OCI. The motor seems to like high viscosity oil. The motor is quiet, smooth, and throatier sound/feel. I do notice that the oil is reeked of gasoline odor. I don't know how much in percentage, but this may cause high blow-by conditions and increase oil consumption. If it is bad/stuck ring, damaged cylinder wall, or worn valve stems and guides, oil consumption should start the moment the new oil is in. I don't see this behavior. The oil consumption starts at 700mi (5w20) and 1000mi(5w30), and then progressively worsen. The behavior seems like fuel dilution is causing the problem. Could it be defective fuel injectors causing the engine to burn rich all the time? Maybe the type of gasoline use? I know the oil consumption starts worsen when I use Shell 93 V-Power exclusively. One of the benefit of using Shell V-Power is that it lubricate the cylinder wall, do you think high fuel dilution because of this?

1 - 20 of 128 Posts