Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone out there already have the Acura ski rack? If so, can you please confirm that it does fit 4 pairs of skis? The picture leads me to think that it only fits 2 pairs. Also, what do you think of it? I'm debating between this and the Thule system. I've heard someone said the Acura ski rack has a flimpsy lock that can be easily un-done and it also sticks easily. Any input will be greatly appreciated as the ski season will be upon us soon and I want to take advantage of the November special if I do end up getting the Acura one. Many thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hi Moo,

Acura ski rack can handle 4 pairs of ski or two snow boards. Someone has said about few months ago that it is made by Thule (a customized version for Acura). Since I do not have one, so I cannot comment about the lock. I choose the hitch carrier option since I need 5 pairs capacity, already have a hitch, and am too short for those roof rack :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Acura Ski rack and would not recommend it.

The rack holds 4 pairs of skis, but not poles, it is very insecure - the screws holding it on can be removed when the rack is loaded and I had trouble opening the rack in cold weather (WD40 fixed that one).

Also the rack makes the car too tall for my garage door. So, I cannot fit the rack at the start of the ski seasong and leave it in place until spring.

I would really like to use my Yakima rack, but unfortunately Yakama don't seem to make a mounting that fits the Acura rack.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Using Yakima ski rack on MDX

rglasstone,

Although it is not a simple solution, there is a way to use your Yakima ski rack and other Yakima attachments on an MDX if you are willing to replace your MDX factory rack with a Yakima roof rack. If interested, see the link below for info.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3459

·
Registered
29 Posts
An Alternative to the Acura Ski Rack

I picked up a Barrecrafters rack (Model US 454) for my MDX today. I was looking for something that had a lower profile than the Acura one.

It was recommended by a shop that specializes in racks for vehicles, and the ski rack fits ok. It holds 4 pairs of skis when skis are put in with ski bases back to back, and 2 pairs if all are laid flat. I was told that Barrecrafters also sells a 6 pair model that will work on the MDX.

As far as the cost, it was $99 CDN as opposed to the $279 CDN for the Acura one.

Just posting this here as a possible alternative to the Acura rack.

Good luck.

MoDX.

·
Registered
156 Posts
MoDX,
Can the ski rack hold snowboards? If not, do you know if that company has a rack that does?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Barrecrafters rack will hold 1 snowboard if laid flat, or 2 snowboards if placed base to base and laid flat.

If Barrecrafters has a web page, you might be able to see a pic of the rack there.

MoDX

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just installed the Thule ski rack 726 (6 pairs of skis or two snowboards) on the factory rack using the new Thule Fat Mouth Clamps FM-1. The bolts to attach the clamp to the rack provided in either the 726 or FM-1 do not fit and are too long. You will need to go to Kragen's (or atuto parts store) to buy a different bolt - Hex Cap Bolts Coarse Class 8.8 M6-1.0 X 12mm. It fits perfectly. I have the rack on my roof now. It is 6 inch taller from the factory rack. If you use the 725 then you will not need to buy the bolt, it is provided. FM-1 is the clamp for MDX even though Thule customer service does not know it. Any questions about the clamp, PM or email me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HELP! Barrecrafters Rack won't fit!

I picked up a Barrecrafters rack (Model US 454) for my MDX today. I was looking for something that had a lower profile than the Acura one.
Were you able to use the clamps that came w/ your rack? Mine are not wide enough for the base Acura rack. How did you get yours on, since the 454 model rack that you bought and the AB-6 rack that I bought both use the same clamps (Top Clamp # 5995, Bottom Clamp # 5973)......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Barrecrafters 454 Rack

Flee67:

I didnt see your other post from a few days ago, or else i would've replied earlier.

I think you're correct that the 454 and the AB-6 rack have the same clamps, but i dont have any way to confirm. And, I dont have the clamp #'s for my rack (I took them off to have a look but didnt see any numbers.) What I can confirm is the bolt to bolt distance for the clamps is 4". The horizontal width of the crossbar on the MDX is 3.5", so the clamps I have work for me. These are the clamps the rack came with.

Hopefully, you'll be able to get yours to work. If you need any other info, you can email me direct, or post here.

MoDX

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thule 725 Rack with Fatmouth clamps

I just got this from Sport Rack (they have several stores around the country) and it fit perfectly on my MDX, allowing up to 4 snowboard or 6 pair of ski. Let me know if you need to find out if there is a store close by to you, they pretty much have all kind of rack and boxes for any car. The whole setup cost me $155.00 including tax in CA.

Kevin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hopefully, you'll be able to get yours to work. If you need any other info, you can email me direct, or post here.
I did get it to work...I must have had a brain freeze or something that day I first tried it...but nonetheless, it's on there nice and secure -- thanks for the help!
Thanks also to Kevin for the info on the Thule rack system...I was going to get that if the Barrecrafters wasn't going to work, but fortunately, it did!

·
Registered
18 Posts
tdnone said:
I just installed the Thule ski rack 726 (6 pairs of skis or two snowboards) on the factory rack using the new Thule Fat Mouth Clamps FM-1. The bolts to attach the clamp to the rack provided in either the 726 or FM-1 do not fit and are too long. You will need to go to Kragen's (or atuto parts store) to buy a different bolt - Hex Cap Bolts Coarse Class 8.8 M6-1.0 X 12mm. It fits perfectly. I have the rack on my roof now. It is 6 inch taller from the factory rack. If you use the 725 then you will not need to buy the bolt, it is provided. FM-1 is the clamp for MDX even though Thule customer service does not know it. Any questions about the clamp, PM or email me.
TDnone,

I bought the FM-1 and the 725. The Fit Chart didn't have the MDX. Where did you position the wedges?

Bottom Camp Hinge Side?
Bottom Clamp Slot Side?
Top Clamp Hinge Side?
Top Clamp Barrel Side?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
681 Posts
TYP said:
Hi.. just one Q..

Can the factory bars fit 2 pairs of the ski rack?
No, I do not think you can put 2 Thule 725 or 726 on the factory rack. But you can put one of those and a 2 snow boards rack.

FYI, for the clamp, I used four rubber inserts per clamp (position 2 on the instructions sheet, if I recall correctly).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts