Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Acura MDX requires its first oil change. I called Kerney Mesa Acura in San Diego for their price to service my car. My car requires an oil change and tire rotation. They quoted me a price of about $124.00. I then asked the service advisor for a price to change just the oil. $94.00 was the price. I knew then I was going to change it myself or shop around. I called two Honda Dealerships in San Diego and both of them said they would change the oil for
$55.00. This way I get the documentation I need and trim my costs by $39.00. Bottom line; take your Acura to your local Honda Dealer and save money.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Or do it yourself with a quality full synthetic for about $15 after various deals (e.g. Pennzoil is running a promo right now) and an A01 filter for $6.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I wonder of the Acura one is higher because you get a 'free' loaner if it'll take them a while to get around to doing your vehicle even if it's just an oil change and tire rotation. I doubt the Honda dealer would provide that but of course you can just wait for it to get done - it shouldn't take that long.

If you want to change the oil and rotate your tires yourself it's easy enough to do. You can refer to this thread I started on changing the oil -

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/79154-self-done-oil-change-some-tips.html

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My 2016 Acura MDX requires its first oil change. I called Kerney Mesa Acura in San Diego for their price to service my car. My car requires an oil change and tire rotation. They quoted me a price of about $124.00. I then asked the service advisor for a price to change just the oil. $94.00 was the price. I knew then I was going to change it myself or shop around. I called two Honda Dealerships in San Diego and both of them said they would change the oil for
$55.00. This way I get the documentation I need and trim my costs by $39.00. Bottom line; take your Acura to your local Honda Dealer and save money.
Local acura dealer charges $29.99 for regular oil change and $19.99 for rotation. How the $94 figure came up is outrageous.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think it really depends on the specific dealership
Mine was $8x.xx for oil change.
lifetime of free tires(on rim) swap/rotation/balance because it was purchased from them with price match to Costco.

and free coffee/juice/water, service shuttle and loaner car.

I pay a lot of attention to the dealership's shop when I purchase a vehicle. Because rather than a one-time deal, I have to deal with them for years, or decades even. Sometimes your sales guy can also get you a service/parts discount if you give them a call.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
There are a number of other Acura dealers in the San Diego area (Escondido, Carlsbad, National City). Check with a couple of others to see what they'd charge for the exact same service. If they're less then you can either go there for it or ask KM Acura if they'll price match the service. You can take your vehicle to any Acura dealer for warranty work and for service - and of course you can also do the service yourself or take it someplace other than Acura.

If the price is extra low, whether from another Acura dealer or elsewhere, make sure they'll truly put in the recommended oil of 0W-20. I haven't found that weight available in anything other than a full synthetic or syn-blend. Another place with a much lower quote may be thinking of conventional oil, likely of a different weight, and will up-charge for synthetic - either full or a blend. Furthermore, in stores I've only found the 0W-20 in full synthetic but at the Acura dealer it's a syn-blend. You need to make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Local Acura dealer here gets about $40 for an oil and filter change, which includes a wash and vacuum. That's for a synthetic blend oil...full synthetic is about $20 more. I've had my first two oil changes done by the dealer, but for that $20 difference between the syn blend and the full synthetic, I can add a few bucks, and buy a full synthetic and a filter, and do it myself, cheaper than what they charge me for the syn blend...which is what I'm going to do at the next scheduled oil change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was price checking dealerships for oil change prices I always made sure their price includeed a full synthetic oil. Also I found that changing the oil myself would cost me a little more than $40.00 using Mobile 1. For a few bucks more I won't have to get my hands dirty. Makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
391 Posts
When I was price checking dealerships for oil change prices I always made sure their price includeed a full synthetic oil. Also I found that changing the oil myself would cost me a little more than $40.00 using Mobile 1. For a few bucks more I won't have to get my hands dirty. Makes perfect sense to me.
no. i think you havent done much shopping. there are deals out there for full syn motor oil. see post #3 and then post #64 within that thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts