Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
What stores carry the Thule and the Yakima? I'd like to do some comparison shopping - maybe on-line if someone has some good on-line sources.

AcuraMDX2002,

Here are a couple links for you:

http://www.rei.com/reihtml/gear_shop/index.jsp?specialty_shop=Racks&stat=7744P

http://www.sportsrack.com/

I am sure there are lots more, especially on-line but these are the ones that come to mind as they carry both Yakima and Thule, and have on-line presense as well as local retail locations.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can't do this with the Acura rack !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
I roped, taped, and bungeed a heavy table-top onto the roof rack last week and drove the Florida Turnpike and I-75 from West Palm Beach to Gainesville -- hated every minute of the trip! I worried the entire time that the load would come off. At one point it actually started to take a bit of air from the front and it tipped up! Luckily I was watching through the moonroof and pulled off to resecure it. I would suggest ratchet-tightening straps to tie down the load.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I use my MDX Roof Rack for

I use my MDX ROOF RACK for the following:

1)Strap down my longboards(Surfboards) for surfing trips.
2)Strap down my surf fishing rods for fishing trips.
3)Install my Mountain bike racks on it for mountain biking trips.
4)Put my duffle bags which contains my fishing gear/surf gear strap it down with straps from front rack to back racks to make room for the third row seat shall I need to take more than five people on the trips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thule Evolution 1600 roof box question

Please help. We bought the Thule Evolution 1600 box. Does anyone have experience with installation and can confirm: does it need the accessory to fit the MDX bars, and will it clear the antenna? I assume we sacrifice any use of the moonroof when using the box.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Take a look earlier in this thread. The info here is detailed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use the roof rack...to attach my Thule ski rack.
It creates some wind noise...but not enough to drive me mad.
Crank up the stereo some and you won't notice...

·
Registered
452 Posts
I seldom or not use them at all, except to tie by fishing rods up there. But not having the roof rack on the X is like looking at a bald person or something.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
dvilla said:
I seldom or not use them at all, except to tie by fishing rods up there. But not having the roof rack on the X is like looking at a bald person or something.
BALD PERSON

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
dvilla said:
FULL HEAD OF HAIR

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
But of course, removing the roof rack have some advantages:
1) reduce wind noise
2) reduce wind resistance (that's why Olympic swimmers and runners shave their heads).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, although I still think the MDX, without ANY accessories look better than most SUV's out there, particularly the front-end, from the side it does have that Mini-van-ish look to it, especially without the roofrack!!!

All macked out, the MDX looks awesome however...roof rack, running boards/sidesteps, bull bar, etc. etc...

·
Registered
10 Posts
dcmdx said:
i don't use it for jack. i got it just in case i need to and mostly b/c i think it looks better with it.

i have the acura rack and mine doesn't make any noticeable wind noise.
Ditto... I insisted on the dealer adding it w/o add'l cost to me.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts