Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Only_Acura said:
It is because of this that we have ordered the Space Cadet from Yakima.
Are you happy with the Space Cadet? Did you have to modify anything to put it on the Acura rack?

Thanks!

Wade

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use mine all the time!

This past x-mas I strapped a tree to it. Then I use it every time I wash the car. I use the rear tire as a step stool then use the roof rack for a handle to hold and help pull me up to dry the top. I use this method again to detail the car. I never need to use an actual step stool. And I don't get the rear door sills dirty and wet. My life would be much harder without the racks. Plus, I personally think MDX looks better with the rack (less minivanish).

·
Registered
715 Posts
As we say down heah in Texas, the roof rack is 'bout a useful as boobs on a bull.:22:

And it is notorious for causing wind noise, especially when the moonroof is in the tilt position, which is why I understand they repositioned the rack on the 2002s.

Tex, let me know how you do if and when you remove yours....we may have to set up another lunch to discuss our opinions about, uh, racks.:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
wamiller said:

Are you happy with the Space Cadet? Did you have to modify anything to put it on the Acura rack?

Thanks!

Wade
We haven't received it yet. It is supposed to be in within the next two weeks. Based on research I've done, they are telling me I will not have to modify anything. We have a vacation planned in the middle of July and intend on using it then. It will be about a 10 hour drive south to Orange Beach, so my intention is to give it a try out locally before using it on the trip.

When we get it in, I'll give it a try and post an update along with some pictures. I picked the Space Cadet because it was wider rather than longer, and we do not have anything long to pack, only suitcases and such. Also, by being shorter, I am assuming it will not effect opening the back either. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Octavian,

I'll let you know if I remove the racks. We can discuss the pros & cons of a good set of racks beforehand though :17:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use my roof rack to hold my Acura bike rack which is fine, but that is the only reason I would have one. They are so noisy that i can't even travel with the sunroof open. I understand that Acura has moved the front bar back in the 2002 models to try to eliminate some of the noise. There are absolutley no adjustments on the rack, nor is there any protection on the roof, should you decide to tie down luggage between the racks. If you are looking to haul things on the roof, I suggest buying a pickup truck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Useful, but not very

We got the roof rack because we wanted to capability to put overload cargo on the roof on longer trips with more stuff. It turns out the the OEM racks on the 2002 are of minimal usefulness because they are so close together (about 30") and not adjustable. The lack of longitudinal rails meant that we couldn't use the handy (and cheap) cargo bag we used on my daughter's Suburban. Because of the narrow spacing, it isn't even very good for carrying building materials.

I have used it once. I put 2 8' landscape timbers up there. I was also caring 3 bundles of tomato stakes, which made a good platform for 2 bags of mulch. I held it all down with 2 bungee cords and several giant twist ties. It turned out to be very stable, but I checked on it frequently through the moonroof.

Based on this experience I'm thinking about making a 'platform' of 1x2 lumber to support miscellaneous loads and keep them off the roof.

Moving the front crossbar back 4" may have made it less useful, but it seems to have taken care of the noise problem. We don't hear anything with the roof closed. With it open, the noise is about the same as our sedans--not bad at all.

I think it is going to be OK for casual use, but if I wanted to put on a bike rack or hard shell cargo carrier, I would want a better rack.

- Conrad

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Re: About those 16' 2x10s ...

bef said:
Ghost,

Did you balance the beams across the racks so that they stuck out more in the back or did you try to center the beams across the length of the MDX?

In an earlier post I asked if anyone tried transporting a fiberglass ladder on the roof and some said that the torque may rip the racks off the roof.

Since I haven't/don't really use the rack, I'm thinking about moving the racks to the single bolts in the front and the back to increase the distance between them when I want to transport long items such as ladders and beams.
Hi Bef,

These were balanced, and ended up sticking a bit more out the back. Also, I was most worried about this things spinning around (think helicoptor) and tearing off racks - if not the whole roof - and doing a fair amount of embarrasing damage...

As a bit of insurance, I put a towel on my tailgate deflector, and then used that as a third attachment point. They were pretty secure after that.

I think ladders would be fine, but for beams you'll want to watch the weight limit - I was pushing it with these.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased Thule Evolution 1600 for my 2002 MDX. Have not used it yet, but will when traveling to the beach and mountains. Does not take a lot of effort to install or store. You will need an adapater kit, #05075, which Thule will send free of charge. Kit required due to width of the factory roof rack cross bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
jwsmithjim

Does the rear hatch open fully with the Thule?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
basket used with roof rack

Just bought a Yakima Load Warrier that fits on the standard roof rack. I thought I'd be buying a Yakima Space Cadet, but liked the added versatility of the basket when I saw them both in a store in Atlanta. It sure makes it easier to find in big parking lots with it on!!

Have maybe heard a slight added wind noise when the sunroof is open. I paid $250, and I plan to get a cargo net. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone knows if there is a waterproof covering that would work.

Louise

·
Registered
74 Posts
Louise,

Does the rear hatch open fully with the Yakima?

Thanks

·
Registered
671 Posts
What stores carry the Thule and the Yakima? I'd like to do some comparison shopping - maybe on-line if someone has some good on-line sources.

·
Registered
47 Posts
wpf said:

Does the rear hatch open fully with the Thule?
I just purchased a Thule Evolution 1600 with the adapter kit and took it on a trip from Memphis to Santa Fe, NM. The 1600 works like a champ and there is no problem with the rear hatch opening fully. The 1600 does sit on top of the antenna ever so slightly, but it didn't hamper performance at all.

We even hit a monster storm driving back in Texas a couple days ago and the car and box did fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
wpf said:
Louise,

Does the rear hatch open fully with the Yakima?

Thanks
Yes, the rear hatch definitely opens. The basket is less than 4 feet long, so it starts just behind the moonroof opening and ends at about where the antenna is located.

I'll try to get my son to take pictures, but it may take me awhile.:2:

Louise

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the roof racks and if they make noise I don't hear any, Not that I have the bose cd player cranked all the way up makes any differnce:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ghost,

Thanks for replying back in May. Not sure why I didn't see it earlier. :8:

I'm thinking of getting the Extend-A-Truck II from Darby Industries for hauling those long loads on the roof.
http://www.darbyindustries.com

There's a Sports Rack in Costa Mesa (about 33 miles from me) that may carry it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We use the roof racks on our 2001 a number of times a year to carry an Ocean Kayak Malibu II kayak. Two ratcheting tie-downs seems to do the trick in holding it very solid (with the webbing passing through the scupper holes on the kayak). For this reason, I find the MDX OEM roof rack highly useful.

Has anyone found a source for roof-rack protectors that will wrap around the MDX's crossbars? Everything I've found to date has been too small. I'm currently using pipe insulation on a temporary basis but would like to get something I could wrap the bars with and leave there.

-Jeremy

21 - 40 of 54 Posts