Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still in the planning stage of acquiring my first MDX (planning on SS / base) and am wondering if the Roof Racks are really useful enough to get. If they are, are there better aftermarket racks instead of the Acura ones?

So - just out of curiosity: do people actually use the racks that have them?

One more thing: do they create wind noise?

Regards,

John Wehman
Hopefull owner in a few months of a 2002 SS base (accessories to be determined):D

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think the answer is: "Of course." But it doesn't seem like a lot. I think at least one member has had them and removed them or vice-versa, so you might get a more definitive answer on the difference (or you might get lucky and test drive both).

The cross-section of the cross members is very aerodynamic, but still makes noise compared to nothing.

If you do a search on "rack" or "racks" you should find plenty of posts...

·
Registered
285 Posts
well, we got ours with the touring package... and i consider the roof racks being the least useful feature among other options, like 6-disk indash CD changer, memory seats, etc.... first, the racks are not adjustable, they are on FIXED positions... secondly, as you mentioned, they generate extra noise, i've not driven one w/o the racks, but i read a lot of posts in the forum complaining about the noise, someone even had those roof racks removed (but don't panic, the MDX is very quiet inside the cabin, even with the roof racks)... thirdly, we're only going to use it once a year, when carrying the christmas tree, but since the trunk space in the MDX is so big, we might be able to fit the tree inside rather than carrying it on top of the roof.....

all that being said, i guess the bottom line is don't get the touring just for the roof racks... you can always put them on later if you want....

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Mine collects dust on the garage shelf ...

... because I took them off:cool:

I never used them on our old Expedition and did not anticipate using them on the MDX so I took them off:cool: :D

I prefer the looks of the MDX without the rack, also it is a little quiter:p , however in all honesty the noise issue shuld not influence your decision. If you'll use them or if you like them then go for it.

As for us, we wouldn't and we didn't. However we still have them if there ever is a need:rolleyes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
i don't use it for jack. i got it just in case i need to and mostly b/c i think it looks better with it.

i have the acura rack and mine doesn't make any noticeable wind noise.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I strapped luggage to the rack in a big old bag from Iron Horse. The inside was full with six people, five golf bags and other stuff.

I do not use the rack much, but it is nice to have and it looks good.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
John, I recommend Yakima rack

...wondering if the Roof Racks are really useful enough to get. If they are, are there better aftermarket racks instead of the Acura ones?

The MDX factory roof rack is not very useful. It does not provide enough flexibility because it is not adjustable. If you plan on carrying a variety of loads, I recommend a Yakima Rack setup.

Additional information can be found in these discussion threads:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=3863&highlight=Yakima+rack

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4556&highlight=Yakima+rack

just out of curiosity: do people actually use the racks that have them?

I use mine to carry bikes in Spring , Summer, and Fall, skis in Winter, and other miscellaneous loads all year.

The wind noise that the rack creates is negligible. It is even less so with the Yakima system compared to the factory Acura rack because the Yakima front cross bar can be moved further back to reduce wind noise (or quickly taken off when not in use).

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes, I definitely use mine - click on my sig. line below to see photos. The base carrier does not add much noise but adding on the Thule trays and the rack pack definitely does. My setup is not really noticeable with the sunroof closed but defitely noisier with the sunroof open. I haven't decided if I will take off the trays in the winter.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think they are useless & also I don't like the looks - but since I leased the MDX I am leaving them on. If I decide to buy the MDX at the end of the lease - they will be off the next day!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
texrb said:
I think they are useless & also I don't like the looks - but since I leased the MDX I am leaving them on. If I decide to buy the MDX at the end of the lease - they will be off the next day!
Why not remove it now, and save the trim sections too, then reinstall it later. If you buy, then you don't even need to do that.
Might as well be happy while you are driving it. The Lease Police don't care until you turn it in.

·
Registered
570 Posts
DaleB said:

Why not remove it now, and save the trim sections too, then reinstall it later. If you buy, then you don't even need to do that.
Might as well be happy while you are driving it. The Lease Police don't care until you turn it in.
Well said! JohnW,if you need some kind of racks on the roof, check out some of your many choices. (some mentioned here).
Personnally, I don't think I'd ever use them w/ the room inside, but, that's a personal choice. Welcome to the board from a C/Spgr':D

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
DaleB - yes I know I could do that :) ..I guess I didn't want to take the chance of scratching up the paint or doing some other damage, but now that I think about it I may go ahead :D

Like you say - why be unhappy with something & wait until the end of the lease to fix it?

Ok - gonna locate those directions msu sent me long ago.....

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
FYI; Removing the roof rack

If you take the rook rack off you will have to replace the sectioned channel covers with a long continuous one. In other words you'll need the channel covers from a Base/Premium model. I think they only cost about $25 - $30 each.

PS You can do a search on "roof rack" and/or "channel cover" for details posted in older threads.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I used them to carry 2 16' 2 x 10 beams that I used in building my deck.

Wish I'd taken a picture, felt like I was in a jousting match. The racks handled it just fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The fact that they do not move is inconvenient, but they are far from useless. They are still quite functional, you just have to adapt. There are several posters that use them with Yakimas and Thules and they have said they worked fine and had no problems. It is because of this that we have ordered the Space Cadet from Yakima. If you have a desire to use them, they are useable.

As far as the noise, any noise in the cabin cannot be directly attributable to the racks. Quite frankly, the most noticeable noise is from the road. And as far as astetics, my wife and I wanted the Touring partly to get the roof racks, because we knew we would be using them, but also because we think the X looks better with them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Roof Racks = Most Frustrating Part of MDX

Yes, the roof rack looks nice, and contribute to no noticable wind noise on our 2002 MDX. However, they are not functional at all for our recreational use.

We use the racks mainly for carry bikes, skis and windsufters. However, they are too narrow from side to side, the rack profile is difficult to be fitted with existing Yakima rack accessories. They are also not adjustable front to back to fit the Yakima cargo box. The hatch with tail gate deflector won't open all the way if skis or the cargo box are set at the stock rack positions.

In the end, we just removed them completely. But then, you would need to order the roof trim to cover the gutters. Each trim is $36 and they broke....3 times... during shipping to the local dealer. So a month later, we traveled with no roof racks and no trims.

We bought a new set of Yakima racks, but without much modifications (see other posts on this topic from mgmdx), the Yakima racks are set very forward on the car. The booming wind noise is extremely annoying if there is nothing on the racks.

So, depending on what you use the racks for. Ours is a Touring/Navigation MDX minus the stock racks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
About those 16' 2x10s ...

Ghost,

Did you balance the beams across the racks so that they stuck out more in the back or did you try to center the beams across the length of the MDX?

In an earlier post I asked if anyone tried transporting a fiberglass ladder on the roof and some said that the torque may rip the racks off the roof.

Since I haven't/don't really use the rack, I'm thinking about moving the racks to the single bolts in the front and the back to increase the distance between them when I want to transport long items such as ladders and beams.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The noise with the sunroof closed is negligible. Now mount 2 bikes on the Acura (Thule) bike racks -- now that is wind noise at 80 mph.

I didn't think I would use them, but now that I got them, hauling around the moutain bike is becoming a weekend regular now.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts