Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is old news.

The idea presented in this thread by some that a designation of ‘non-profit’ implies no outside financial influence is naive at best. CR stays inside a narrow band to keep regulators happy as well as their business model afloat.
I never meant to imply that CU as a non-profit was prohibited from engaging in specific commercial transactions with third parties; if someone understood my words that way, I apologize. What I was trying to get across is that the "testing" side is independent and separate from the "business" side receiving funds from licensing and other activities. This is very common in non-profits, as well as other firms, such as law firms who are representing conflicting interests/parties (the so-called "Chinese Wall"). Rather than create more confusion, I've included CU's introduction from its website as follows.

"Consumer Reports is an independent, nonprofit member organization that works side by side with consumers for truth, transparency, and fairness in the marketplace. In addition to our rigorous research, investigative journalism, and consumer advocacy, we work with other organizations, including media, consumer groups, research and testing consortiums, and philanthropic partners to inform purchase decisions, improve the products and services that businesses deliver, and drive regulatory and fair competitive practices.
We also license our content and testing and research data, as well as work with business partners to offer shopping and other consumer services, and may receive fees from these programs. We maintain a strict separation between our commercial operations and our testing and editorial operations. Our testing and editorial teams decide which products to test and review; our external business partners or other third parties do not dictate or control these decisions."

It's up to each reader to independently assess the above explanation. As I have stated upthread, CR is only one of several data points a potential buyer should consider when making a significant purchase like a new vehicle. YMMV.

·
Registered
184 Posts

There’s something that I don’t understand about the CU-TrueCar commentary here:

CU does not accept advertising. Taking money from a producer of products, whose products you are either reviewing or may review, creates an obvious conflict of interest with the stated objectives of the reviewer.

What conflict of interest arises when CU has a relationship with a buying service? The buying service, in the case of TrueCar, provides a service to buyers of all brands of cars. Hence, what would be the incentive to CU to favor one brand of car over another in its ratings? It’s like saying that, because Costco provides a car buying service to its members there is some sort of conflict of interest created between Costco and its customers. That’s nonsense.

As I see it, insinuating that the CU-TrueCar relationship might create bias in CU car reviews is nothing more than a red herring.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2016 MDX ADV SH-AWD. Now with 85k miles. Tranny replaced under warranty about 50,000 miles. Front struts, steering column motor replaced at 75,000 (also under warranty). Never left me stranded.

Point about ensuring battery is in top notch shape is on point. I waited until a few weeks ago to replace the original battery. That was too long. All kinds of little electrical gremlins went away with the change (e.g. random changing of settings for seats, bells, etc.). Every three years is probably about right. As a plus, the autostop stops functioning with a low battery, but not worth the trade off for all the negative IMHO. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts

There’s something that I don’t understand about the CU-TrueCar commentary here:

CU does not accept advertising. Taking money from a producer of products, whose products you are either reviewing or may review, creates an obvious conflict of interest with the stated objectives of the reviewer.

What conflict of interest arises when CU has a relationship with a buying service? The buying service, in the case of TrueCar, provides a service to buyers of all brands of cars. Hence, what would be the incentive to CU to favor one brand of car over another in its ratings? It’s like saying that, because Costco provides a car buying service to its members there is some sort of conflict of interest created between Costco and its customers. That’s nonsense.

As I see it, insinuating that the CU-TrueCar relationship might create bias in CU car reviews is nothing more than a red herring.
You need to think more broadly instead of inside a narrow band that satisfies your beliefs.

CR is widely discussed on the internet, so I will not rehash all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've kept a close eye on the mdx reliability ratings for the past few years and suddenly when I checked now every 3rd gen year has seen a drastic drop in reliability. Outside of 2016 there were no red individual categories previously but now there are several across all years 2016 - 2020 (2019 and 2020 are only "projected" at this point)

I don't understand how 2017 and 2018 can be rated red overall and be in absolute LAST place well behind even the train wreck that is the Volvo Xc90. That vehicle is so bad read the sweedespeed forums and all the owners that got volvo to do buy backs under lemon laws. NO WAY the mdx can be worse than that for reliability.

There has been a lot of recalls on 2016-2019 mdxs so I'm curious if CR started factoring this into their ratings and if the number of recalls has an impact on their scoring algorithm.

I just don't see how the mdx can be literally the absolute worst car out there for reliability like CRs latest ratings say it is, nor do I understand how it can drop so dramatically (even 2016 and 2017 model years) in only the past 6 months or so.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check out Motor Trend January Issue for a very nice article on SUVs. They do a good job of comparisons with lots of data in the January Issue. Kia Telluride was their final choice as SUV of the Year.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts