Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the brochure for the '03 MDX, Acura proudly features a picture of the speakers. Unbelievable! I would think that they would be trying to hide them!

Click here to see the brochure

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Funny, I have a Bose system as part of my home theater set up. I am really quite happy with it. Sounds great with those dvd movies that have explosions and other surround sounds. When we were looking at the MDX, and noted that it contained a Bose system, we assumed it would be of equal quality and quite eagerly awaited it!

Talk about ignorance! Wow.

So much for my thought process that said hey, its a Bose it MUST be good!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Talking about Home Theater..

My friend bought Bose Sorruond Speakers think Acoustimass(?)
for $1.2K I tried to discourage him but he thought bose is the best. I recommended Energy Take 5 for almost half the price..well

After listening to his Bose compared to my Energy speakers, the difference is so obvious he just don't want to talk about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
BOSE has fallen victim to the same crime that has hurt Lucas films and their use of the THX logo. They have essentially decided to whore it out (there brand name) to car companies because they do have GREAT home theatre products, etc. and they spend a lot on advertising and therefore have a very respected reputation. THX and Bose are esentially just selling the rights to use there names in conjuction with a product. When THX certification first came on the home theatre scene, it actually meant something. But once Lucas Films\ George Lucas realized how much money was to be made off these licensing fees, they started diluting the quality level needed for "THX" certfied systems\ recievers, etc. Now they have gone a step further and started using 3 levels of THX certification- THX, THX Select, THX Ultra- talk about getting greedy. I bought a $400 Pioneer surround sound reciever about three years ago (during a period of finacnial dire straits and a lapse in judgement) and it had THX certification and is a complete piece of s*** which is still sitting in the box to this day bc of it. What people need to realize is that for a system to be a BOSE system- the ONLY THING a car company must do is pay BOSE to use its name and, if anything at all, let someone at BOSE "sign off" on the system. Bose (and its sound engineers, etc) DO NOT ACTUALLY NEED TO DESIGN OR MANUFACTURE ANY PART OF THE SYSTEM FOR IT TO BE ADVERTISED AS A BOSE SYSTEM. They merely have to "approve" of the system acura has put in the car. Mercedes has used the Bose name for years on many of its horrible sound systems. You get what you pay for with home audio and video- you always have and always will. Any decent "upgraded" sound system will cost you one way or another- if its a $1200 option on an SL500, then it may be a really good BOSE system. If its standard on a $35,000 C-Class, it WILL SUCK for all intents and purposes.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Maik said:
Funny, I have a Bose system as part of my home theater set up. I am really quite happy with it. Sounds great with those dvd movies that have explosions and other surround sounds. When we were looking at the MDX, and noted that it contained a Bose system, we assumed it would be of equal quality and quite eagerly awaited it!

Talk about ignorance! Wow.

So much for my thought process that said hey, its a Bose it MUST be good!
I can tell you I had no such illusions. Although I have heard better sounding Bose systems in other vehicles.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
GABulldawg said:
BOSE has fallen victim to the same crime that has hurt Lucas films and their use of the THX logo. They have essentially decided to whore it out (there brand name) to car companies because they do have GREAT home theatre products, etc. and they spend a lot on advertising and therefore have a very respected reputation. THX and Bose are esentially just selling the rights to use there names in conjuction with a product. When THX certification first came on the home theatre scene, it actually meant something. But once Lucas Films\ George Lucas realized how much money was to be made off these licensing fees, they started diluting the quality level needed for "THX" certfied systems\ recievers, etc. Now they have gone a step further and started using 3 levels of THX certification- THX, THX Select, THX Ultra- talk about getting greedy. I bought a $400 Pioneer surround sound reciever about three years ago (during a period of finacnial dire straits and a lapse in judgement) and it had THX certification and is a complete piece of s*** which is still sitting in the box to this day bc of it. What people need to realize is that for a system to be a BOSE system- the ONLY THING a car company must do is pay BOSE to use its name and, if anything at all, let someone at BOSE "sign off" on the system. Bose (and its sound engineers, etc) DO NOT ACTUALLY NEED TO DESIGN OR MANUFACTURE ANY PART OF THE SYSTEM FOR IT TO BE ADVERTISED AS A BOSE SYSTEM. They merely have to "approve" of the system acura has put in the car. Mercedes has used the Bose name for years on many of its horrible sound systems. You get what you pay for with home audio and video- you always have and always will. Any decent "upgraded" sound system will cost you one way or another- if its a $1200 option on an SL500, then it may be a really good BOSE system. If its standard on a $35,000 C-Class, it WILL SUCK for all intents and purposes.
At the time of THX introduction, there was a new awareness in the importance of good sound in home theater as well as music.
THX is in itself does nothing. It's only a certification based on what THX describes as minimum requirement to meet 'their' standard for home theater reproduction.
There are audio systems with and without THX certification that fulfill the full gamut of sound reproduction from mediocre to excellent.
I have an M&K system at home which happens to be THX certified, but I did not buy it for that reason. I bought it because of how it sounds. It stands up to great imaging and definition in 2 channel sound, as well as performing great in 5.1.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Must be something wrong with the Bose system in your cars. Mine sounds absolutely fantastic. Go ahead all of you "audophiles" and pile on but my hearing is as good if not better than most folks and the Bose system in my MDX sounds abolutely fantastic. Maybe it's something to do with the navigation system's interlink to the sound system? Oh boy, here we go, now I've not only praised the sound system but I've taken a shot at the navigation system!

·
Registered
16 Posts
DaleB said:

At the time of THX introduction, there was a new awareness in the importance of good sound in home theater as well as music.
THX is in itself does nothing. It's only a certification based on what THX describes as minimum requirement to meet 'their' standard for home theater reproduction.
There are audio systems with and without THX certification that fulfill the full gamut of sound reproduction from mediocre to excellent.
I have an M&K system at home which happens to be THX certified, but I did not buy it for that reason. I bought it because of how it sounds. It stands up to great imaging and definition in 2 channel sound, as well as performing great in 5.1.
Holy cow. Is there an end to your expertise about everything?
My god. I suspect your better half keeps you on the PC to keep you out of her hair!
Pleeeease Mrs B, take him back.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
mdx02 said:

Holy cow. Is there an end to your expertise about everything?
LOL, whats really funny is that I bet you've seen only the tip of the iceberg! :2: :D :p :20:

·
Registered
131 Posts
OEM Bose

Bose does not "whore out" there name to the car companies.
They have an entire division doing OEM work.

I would agree that in most casses Bose is not the optimum system for audiophiles, but they are one of the leading companies in the applied acoustics.

If you are an Audiophile, please put your system tyogether yourself. You will never be happy with anything designed for the broader market.

If you just want good sound without worries (the market most car companies are going for) Bose is a great solution.

If you don't agree, fine, but having been an OEM to Mercedes, (as is Bose) I have some experiance in this area.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: OEM Bose

N_Jay said:
...If you just want good sound without worries (the market most car companies are going for) Bose is a great solution.

If you don't agree, fine, but having been an OEM to Mercedes, (as is Bose) I have some experiance in this area.
N_Jay,

Makes sense.

Can you be more specific in regards to your experience in this area?

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
so we dont have to go scrolly scrolly.Click here

·
Registered
197 Posts
Re: OEM Bose

N_Jay said:
Bose does not "whore out" there name to the car companies.
They have an entire division doing OEM work.

I would agree that in most casses Bose is not the optimum system for audiophiles, but they are one of the leading companies in the applied acoustics.

If you are an Audiophile, please put your system tyogether yourself. You will never be happy with anything designed for the broader market.

If you just want good sound without worries (the market most car companies are going for) Bose is a great solution.

Maybe 'whore out' was the wrong term to use, but Bose definitely subcontracted out to Alpine to provide the speakers used in both the base model & the touring sound systems. And anyone who has taken out the stock speakers can tell you there is a huge quality difference in the Alpine speakers used in the MDX when compared to even the cheapest Alpine's available in the retail market.

I agree that if you want audiophile quality you have to go elsewhere, but for people expecting a better than average sound system up to Acura & Bose standards, the factory stuff has a lot of room for improvement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
THAT'S MY TV!!! Well almost0 I've got the KP-53HS10 not the 61". I've got it running with a Denon Avr-3802 and Paradigm Reference Studio 60's up front, Studio Center, and Studio ADP dipolar's for surrounds. Plus the 12" PW-2200 subwoofer. DVD player is a progressive scan denon 4800 5 disc changer. What's you equipment list?

·
Registered
49 Posts
FWIW- I friend of mine has the BOSE acoustimass home theatre setup, and everything they say about those little bose cube speakers is true. They are the most incredible things ever. We watched jurrasic park one time and I started to doze off and woke up thinking we were ebing attacked by dinosaurs. It was very intense!

Also, to any of you who I may have offended by using the term "whore out" earlier, I am sorry. It just sort of came to mind and I went with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Geez...
where to start off...
Yes that's a KP-hs10-61
I don't remember all the model numbers off my head but,
(2) jvc s-vhs player, toshiba 1st gen progressive scan dvd, audiotron mp3 player, tivo 120 hours, toshiba hdtv reciever (dst-3000), phillips cd-r, direct tv, cable box, and sony gear for cd, eq and receiver. Too many components to remember

P.S. I love my 61" HDTV ready so much, that i got the latest 43" one for my bedroom!!!!! :2:

P.S.S. I'm single, so I can do this stuff to my place without much resistant...truly a bachelor pad....:1:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts