Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Great video, great asset to the community. My suggestion would be wash engine before opening valve covers.

Reactions: AcuraAddicted

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great video, great asset to the community. My suggestion would be wash engine before opening valve covers.
Thanks! I'm peronally really not a fan of washing anything under the hood, but can wipe it instead. Probably vacuuming is also not a bad idea.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I couldn't find a video that made me feel comfortable doing the valves, on a v6.
If this video was around last Fall, when I paid an import repair shop $475, I would have had enough to do it myself.
Anyway, the video is good for the next guy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Excellent video bogdan. Have you done TB service yet? I was looking at the service manual for adjusting the valves and I got scared because I'm not experienced enough to attempt this, but your video gives me hope now.. My X is currently at 240k so this service is much needed.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
^ Timing Belt service is way easier to mess up and the consequences are far more severe.
If you are not confident to do the valves I highly recommend you do not attempt the TB service.

The valves are more time consuming but easier than the TB/105K...
This is the reason I haven´t done a DIY post, Its very hard to convey some details about it that are critical.

Reactions: RainGoat

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent video bogdan. Have you done TB service yet?
Thanks!

Yes, done TB and new oil pump done about 3 weeks ago, so video should be coming somewhere late fall, I guess.

I was looking at the service manual for adjusting the valves and I got scared because I'm not experienced enough to attempt this, but your video gives me hope now.
Thanks! If you are attentive to details and follow all the steps (perhaps the manual is going to be easier) and don't forget anything, this is pretty straightforward.

My X is currently at 240k so this service is much needed.
Does your oil pump leak? TB itself is really straightforward, much less to disassemble. Of course, the consequences of installing it incorrectly are far more dangerous than messing the valve clearances, though. And if your oil pump is leaking, a DIY for resealing it without a proper car lift is a disaster. I spent many hours trying to navigate under the car on stands and it's not fun at all. Especially when you only have 5 minutes to apply the liquid gasket to the oil pan, stick it back up, install and torque all 18 bolts... And then having to redo it again the next day when you find out that when you installed a new oil pump, the crank has pushed the crank seal lip out, but you didn't notice because it was 2 am and very dark :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks!

Yes, done TB and new oil pump done about 3 weeks ago, so video should be coming somewhere late fall, I guess.

Thanks! If you are attentive to details and follow all the steps (perhaps the manual is going to be easier) and don't forget anything, this is pretty straightforward.

Does your oil pump leak? TB itself is really straightforward, much less to disassemble. Of course, the consequences of installing it incorrectly are far more dangerous than messing the valve clearances, though. And if your oil pump is leaking, a DIY for resealing it without a proper car lift is a disaster. I spent many hours trying to navigate under the car on stands and it's not fun at all. Especially when you only have 5 minutes to apply the liquid gasket to the oil pan, stick it back up, install and torque all 18 bolts... And then having to redo it again the next day when you find out that when you installed a new oil pump, the crank has pushed the crank seal lip out, but you didn't notice because it was 2 am and very dark :)
Bogdan you're an incredible asset to the Acura Community!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Thanks!

This is how I secured the engine when I did the oil pump reseal. I rigged this setup with the supplies I bought from home depot under $12. As to install the oil pan back with a new honda bond I I used the scissor jack to help and secure the oil pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
^ Timing Belt service is way easier to mess up and the consequences are far more severe.
If you are not confident to do the valves I highly recommend you do not attempt the TB service.

The valves are more time consuming but easier than the TB/105K...
This is the reason I haven´t done a DIY post, Its very hard to convey some details about it that are critical.
I find the timing belt job easy as long as you pay attention to the detail and doesn’t mess up with the lining mark. The only think I don’t like about it is removing the water pump because I don’t like the messy spill of coolant all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is how I secured the engine when I did the oil pump reseal.
Wow, that's very creative! Supporting the engine is mostly for ease of removing and putting the side engine mount (and in my case I did not need it when putting the side mount back as it aligned perfectly. But you can now use this setup for any other jobs requiring engine support!

I find the timing belt job easy as long as you pay attention to the detail and doesn’t mess up with the lining mark. The only think I don’t like about it is removing the water pump because I don’t like the messy spill of coolant all over the place.
Yes, it's pretty straightforward. I was only doing it for the second time in my life and it was not intimidating at all. Agreed on the water pump!

Also good on the scissor jack! I was thinking of using it, too. But I opted out as I used all my supports for extra safety when working under the car.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Wow, that's very creative! Supporting the engine is mostly for ease of removing and putting the side engine mount (and in my case I did not need it when putting the side mount back as it aligned perfectly. But you can now use this setup for any other jobs requiring engine support!

Yes, it's pretty straightforward. I was only doing it for the second time in my life and it was not intimidating at all. Agreed on the water pump!

Also good on the scissor jack! I was thinking of using it, too. But I opted out as I used all my supports for extra safety when working under the car.
I used that hoist for replacing oil pump. I don’t need it for timing belt job.

Before I applied the Honda bond on the oil pan. I did a few dry runs to find the best way and position to align with dow pin on the the oil pan back onto the engine without wiggle it side to side. Once I mastered that technique I finally applied the Honda bond and snug fit by hand and hold it with the scissor jack and hand tight all the bolts. Tighten all bolts to spec and wait at least 24 hours to fill the oil.
You can’t afford an oil leak from the oil pan after installation because its too much work, messy and time consuming. Make sure to get it right for the first time in this case.

Still have no oil leak from the oil pan after almost 3 years now. But I have a minor oil leak from the rear main seal which I am going to leave it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used that hoist for replacing oil pump. I don’t need it for timing belt job.
I realize that. But you cannot remove the oil pump without removing and then replacing (or putting back) the timing belt, for which you will need the side engine mount removed. What I'm saying is that you don't need to support the engine at all times during the process, but rather only during removing the side engine mount and putting it back (if that, because I personally did not need it for putting it back this time, it was fine as is).

Before I applied the Honda bond on the oil pan. I did a few dry runs to find the best way and position to align with dow pin on the the oil pan back onto the engine without wiggle it side to side.
That's smart! I do fittings all the time before filming, but it's a good idea to do that with things that require liquid gaskets, so you can train and avoid having to clean it and reapply if you fail.

You can’t afford an oil leak from the oil pan after installation because its too much work, messy and time consuming. Make sure to get it right for the first time in this case.
Yeah, it's really time consuming. I ended up wasting an extra day for redoing it after realizing I have to reseal the new oil pump because the crank has pushed out the new crank seal lip when I was putting the new oil pump on the previous day at 2 am and I was too exhausted to notice.

Still have no oil leak from the oil pan after almost 3 years now. But I have a minor oil leak from the rear main seal which I am going to leave it that way.
Yeah, the rear seal is just too painful to replace, so I would leave the minor leak as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts