Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a set of rear splash guards from my Acura dealer and when I install them today I find that the fit isn't very good (not as tight as the front ones)

Has anyone else experienced that? Also, mine came with only one plastic bag with two larger screws and some sort of bended metal piece (of course, no install instructions) what should be in that packaged (good to know before I call the dealer)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Not available at Tom's site. I would go back to the dealer. They sold the set, right?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: Mud Guards

Sven,

You have everything you need in the kit parts wise. For each side, you remove/replace two screws to hold on the flap. You also use the one additional screw per side in the kit. The metal part fits over over the fender, then the screw goes through it. Mine did not seem to fit well, until all 3 screws were in. Good fit then.

I have a jpg of the instructions that I can send if you give e-mail. Will try to attach here, but not sure it will work. e-mail me at [email protected] and I can send directions.

BTW, I ordered mine from Tim, got directions and GREAT service!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
FWIW..........

My rear mud flaps were installed by the dealer and they are not as firm as the front flaps from the factory. I believe this is because there are 3 screws inthe front that secure the edge to the wheel well, vs 2 on the edge side for the rear. It's not loose - just not as snug as the fronts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now, this is why I keep coming back to this online community. Outstanding. I always sign off a bit more knowledgable and hopefully we all give something back.

Special kudos to mcclendons.

Thanks y'all

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered the rear splash guards, and they came with the instruction sheet, but I still could never get them installed. I spent a long time trying yesterday. I plan to take them to the dealer and get the installation done there.

After removing the two screws, I could never get them to screw back in after the splash guard was held in place (screws not long enough?). I also could never get the long screw which was included in the plastic bag to screw in at all (am I supposed to drill a hole in the dimple?) I had gone to Home Depot and bought the stubbiest Phillips screwdriver I could find, but, even then, access to the screws was a problem, impossible for one (without removing the tire).

·
Registered
93 Posts
TFINLAY;

Either jack up the car & remove the tire OR.....

get a phillips head Bit like the kind you would put in a drill/driver; then clamp it tightly in a VICE GRIP, and slowly turn in the screws. This is what I did. Stubby screwdrivers are still too long.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The screws are just long enough to start with the guards in place, but you must apply a little pressure to push in as you turn. I used a longer driver, and had it slanted to get past the wheels. On the long screw, I cheated and mounted the two original ones back (with guards in place) and drilled a very small pilot hole to start through. Would take allot of screw Turing to get the screw to "drill through".

Try putting the originals in and applying some pressure while turning....with a little luck you will get them started.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I recall reading some time ago that one could jack up the car but not remove the tire AND use a stubby screw driver. I haven't tried it yet but will when my car finally arrives.

·
Registered
421 Posts
lester123 said:
I recall reading some time ago that one could jack up the car but not remove the tire AND use a stubby screw driver. I haven't tried it yet but will when my car finally arrives.
I just found a 1 " length screw driver bit for my power screw driver. I guess if I use that with a vice grip pliers, it should be easier for me. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Sheez, take off the tire! It's a heck of a lot easier, and besides, you'll get to see the massive springs behind it! Also, if it's your first time for pulling out your jack, you'll find that it is a pain in the neck to remove (well, mine was...). Better now than on some rainy, stormy night.

Check out this post from a while back:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=895

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Get one of those small "Z" type screwdrivers...slotted/philips. I removed/replaced my flaps AND the plastic inner fender when I installed my flares. I never took off the tire...yikes! :D You could probably punch a starter hole in that plastic with a sharp nail or something similar after lining up and marking the hole with a Sharpie.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are these the same as mud flaps? Would they prevent mud from getting on the car behind the rear tires? I am not one who washes my vehicles very often, if ever, and behind the rear wheel is the only place my vehicle gets dirty and stays dirty.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
No, mud flaps have either playboy bunnies or Yosemite Sam's on the back, and, of course, they flap! :D

The splash guards are hard plastic and stay in a fixed position - they keep the rear panel clean, sort of - there's still a lot of dirt that flies up beyond the protected area and ends up on the rear quarter panel. So you'll just have to start washing more, or get yourself a pair of them hefty trucker-type flaps!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
ghost
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing