Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey MDXERS,

I am planning on buying a new luxury 3rd row suv. I have been researching and my top two cars were the 2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD with Advance and Entertainment or a 2018 Audi Q7 Prestige. I know that it is up to me. But I want to know what your experiences with the MDX has been like.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My wife went with the MDX after driving them back to back. The Audi rode better I thought but she liked the layout of the MDX and the center console area for storage (was able to fit her purse in it). I almost had her sold on the Audi S5 SUV but the seat sides were too stiff and she didn't like getting in and out of it. We only have 1 kiddo so a 3rd row was just a plus for her and not really a requirement. And she also asked the guy how much an oil change was for the Audi and I about had a heart attack...lol MDX seems cheaper to maintain. I do the oil changes anyway but it was a good baseline question to ask while we drive all the luxury SUVs.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My family has leased an 11, 14, 15, and 19 MDX. We love(d) them all. Can't find a similar SUV that handles well and has a comfortable interior. The 19 model just added real wood and some other touches that makes it look more luxurious.

·
Registered
895 Posts
LEASE the Audi.. Buy the MDX.
+1. The Audi is fine under warranty, but typically costs significantly more than a Honda or Toyota product to maintain and repair as it gets older. Since you are buying or leasing new, maybe money or long term cost isn't a factor, so in that case just get what you like better after driving them both.

·
Registered
962 Posts
+1. The Audi is fine under warranty, but typically costs significantly more than a Honda or Toyota product to maintain and repair as it gets older. Since you are buying or leasing new, maybe money or long term cost isn't a factor, so in that case just get what you like better after driving them both.

Yup, with German Vehicles, the purchase price is just the down payment on long term costs. Of course, since the MDX got the German transmission in 2016, the cost of a fluid change jumped about 500%.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I faced the exact same question and ultimately decided to buy a new 2019 MDX instead of the Q7.

The initial price of the Q7 was several thousand more, before factoring in the higher maintenance costs due to the cost of imported German parts, and outside of warranty I suspect that the Q7 will require more repairs and each repair will be much more expensive than on the MDX. All of this before reading Audi forums and difficulties owners typically have getting Audi to own up to issues under warranty and taking care of their customers. Plus the ongoing emissions scandals eliminated whatever little trust in the brand I may have had before.

On top of that while the Q7 is faster 0-60 their real world gas mileage was a fair bit less than the MDX.

Weighing all of this and I decided since I was purchasing and plan to keep for 10+ years I decided on the MDX.

I wouldn't even consider the Q7 unless I was leasing, and even then I still think the MDX would come out on top.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
The MDX is a great car and fits the bill for many people and their families. But, for sheer driving joy it does not compare to the Q7.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The MDX is a great car and fits the bill for many people and their families. But, for sheer driving joy it does not compare to the Q7.
I agree with you that the Q7 is a more refined and luxurious vehicle, but when deciding which vehicle to purchase there is more to the equation for most people beyond driving joy or luxury.

If money were no object and I didn't mind paying an arm and a leg to keep it running after the 4 year warranty runs out, didn't mind having it in the shop frequently for repairs and didn't mind paying exorbitant subscription fees to use all the tech in the Audi, then I would have chosen the Q7.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I rode in a 2017 Q7 last week. Phenomenal car. B&O stereo was amazing. Digital dash, really nice. Navigation was perfect. The owner bought it CPO so 6/100k warranty. Of course it probably cost $30K more than my car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could not agree more. Sure, the Q7 has more "prestige" than an MDX, I'll give you that. However, a similarly equipped Q7 is at least $10,0000 more or higher than an MDX. Q7 rides nicer, the interior is nicer, and it is quicker than an MDX. However, it weighs 1000 pounds more than the MDX, and you can FEEL it when cornering or manuvering for parking, etc. And the maintenance is AWFUL on price, independent shop or not. MDX destroys the Q7 in fuel economy, resale value, value for the money, etc. IMO, The MDX looks sportier than the Q7. Heck,even my local Honda dealer has a certified Acura tech who can work on them. I have a friend who bought a LOADED Q7 in 2014, paid close to $60K for it, can't even get an Audi dealer to give them more than $21,000 on trade, with 35,000 miles!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2 cents. I have owned 3 MDX's a 2002, 2007 & 2014. I liked them all and put a lot of miles on them with few issues. Like others have said, maintenance is minimal. I am in the market for a new SUV, but cannot get myself to purchase the new MDX because the infotainment system is horrible, Acura actually made it worse in 2014. voice recognition software is the worst I have ever experienced and the navigation is terrible. Everything else is great. The MDX road noise issues have been solved with noise cancellation system. There is no tuning knob for the radio and you have to take your eyes off the road and repeatedly press an idiotic arrow. I believe the low quality screens in my 2014 have been improved and Acura has switched to Garmin for its nav, so that too should be improved. That leaves my two gripes intact. I basically don't use the voice recognition because it's terrible and the infotaiment system remains the worst I have ever used. The quality of the radio with the teck package is good. Unfortunately, with all its faults, the MDX remains a very good value. Volvo and Audi share costly repairs and Volvo bad residual value. BMW & Mercedes too expensive once you add options. I was hopeful that the 2020 MDX redesign would show up this year and am curious about the Genesis GV80. I am at a complete loss as to why Honda would put a new infotainment system into their Honda lines and leave the terrible system in their premium brand. As incredible as it may seem, this could be the end of the MDX's for me because I despise the info system so much, unfortunate because the car is very good and a great value other than that.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hu?
My 2018 has a volume control. The voice recognition system is fine. Far better than my 2007 Dodge Ram for sure. Faults? Have you actually driven a 2018/19 MDX for more than a couple of miles? All cars have faults, but this MDX IMHO is far more car than most of the others. My only real gripe so far is the need for 91 octane gas. I do love the built in hard drive. No more having a bunch of CDs in the car. Yes, we still use CDs. Like most all, I like Sirius XM, but miss the ability to store music to listen when the signal is blocked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It has a volume knob, it doesn't have a Tuning knob, nor does the 2019. I put a lot of miles on my vehicle and am always fiddling with the xm radio stations. The lack of a tuning knob is a very frequent complaint about Acura's and previously Honda's. It is brought up in just about every professional review. I have read Acura has incrementally improved the MDX each year after my 2014 purchase and solved most of my issues except the big one, the infotainment system. I am griping more than anything else and like the MDX's that I have driven for over 15 years. I want to buy a different vehicle because of my frustration with the infotainment system. I rent cars often and I have never experienced a worse voice recognition system than by 2014, I even had it replaced under warranty because the dealer tried it and said it was terrible. That said, I cannot find a better vehicle or value for the price range.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
the Q7 has more "prestige" than an MDX
I don't know how you define 'prestige' but there isn't any IMO when it comes to vehicles and regardless, it'd be a silly reason to buy a vehicle - i.e. to try to impress others. If by 'prestige' you mean simply that it's more expensive, that's meaningless IMO since many people could readily afford a more expensive vehicle if they happened to want to buy it for some reason and many more people are driving around in vehicles that cost more than they can readily afford - but they buy them anyway.

Why would you think the Audi Q7 would have anything at all in the way of prestige? To me it's just another SUV, nothing that special.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
People who bought Audi Q7 because they have money to burn and want to show off their money power. And most of them have no clue on how to fix anything because they are too busy making money.

If you are considering Audi Q7 why not the Lexus SUV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
""If you are considering Audi Q7 why not the Lexus SUV""

Because it isn't an Audi?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think Lexus are way more reliable than the Audi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lexus doesn't make a comparable 3 row suv in the same price range. The rx350l has 3 rows but is tiny, it also doesn't have android auto. Their bigger suv starts at like 70 or 80k and is a truck not a car like suv so not really comparable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts