Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts

as you can see in the image the guy is using, the pass. airbag has deployed and the rest of the vehicle looks filthy. He says that the entire components needed are included, but does not list the GPS antenna. I wonder how this will be pulled off. lets wait and see, shall we? :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Foster Auto is a local salvage yard, someone totaled it. I think the wiring harness is different between the nav and non nav. Once you get it I would bet your looking at thousands to install everything properly.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
That's right Tim...

It's not feasible to install the Acura GPS system in an MDX after production because the wiring harness that comes with a non-GPS MDX is incompatible with it. It would cost thousands of dollars to make all the changes required to install such a unit.

I now have a Garmin StreetPilot III in my MDX (Canadian version - non-GPS) and it is very good. Plus, it is easily moved from one vehicle to another. So when I sell my MDX, the Garmin will be removed unless I get a good price for it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Given all this, I feel sorry for the poor soul who buys this for their non-nav MDX.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: That's right Tim...

Do you know this for sure? It is actually quite common to design parts so they can be used in multiple situations. Reduces logistics, labor, etc. and saves alot of money. It is hard to believe that Honda (in being as efficient as it is in production) would design and source two completly different wiring harnesses for the NAV and non-NAV vehicles. More than likely, the same harness is being used for both but all features are not being used on the non-NAV MDXs.

oceanMDX said:
It's not feasible to install the Acura GPS system in an MDX after production because the wiring harness that comes with a non-GPS MDX is incompatible with it. It would cost thousands of dollars to make all the changes required to install such a unit.

I now have a Garmin StreetPilot III in my MDX (Canadian version - non-GPS) and it is very good. Plus, it is easily moved from one vehicle to another. So when I sell my MDX, the Garmin will be removed unless I get a good price for it.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Yes I do...

According to two Acura dealerships - one in Calgary and Falconi's in Las Vegas - the wiring harnesses are different in the GPS equipped MDX versus the non-GPS equipped MDX. If you think that's odd then consider what Acura does when you want to tow with the MDX. Rather than simply equip all MDXs with a transmission cooler and power steering cooler ( at minimal additional cost) or make the coolers available as a factory installed option, they have the dealerships install these coolers. The dealer has to remove the front bumper - possibly scratching it in the process - and install these coolers for what is likely a higher cost. IMO, that is just dumb.

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
And with that I am happy, I got the GPS Nav! So as it was said before if you are considering getting NAV,Get it! much easier now and you will not regret it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
rvehock said:
FYI, after market transmission coolers are much better than the Acura cooler and easier to install. I am going to install this one and add a good aftermaket hitch. My total cost should be just at $200 as I plan to do all the labor myself.
I had similar plans myself, but decided to get the hitch & coolers dealer installed prior to delivery. Mainly to have it fully warrantied by Acura, and to have it done! I will have enough accessories to put on myself.
I will check and make sure they didn't scratch anything up in the process although this dealer is highly rated for service and sales.
I don't envision doing much towing, but at least I will be prepared. Even when not towing it does add some 'reserve' as well as make it a neat installation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The way I look at is, I save $500 to put towards something else I might want for my M

If you are going to install the hitch yourself, your total savings will be about $300. I bought my hitch, which comes with the two coolers from ACURA for $469.60 total. As I have an automobile related business, I paid resale price.

FYI, somewhere on this board is a thread that has downloadable pd. files showing the installation of both the hitch and the coolers. The cooler that is shown in your link looks completely different in shape then the factory coolers (transmission and power steering) it looks like it may block quite a bit of air that would normally be going into your radiator, some thing to consider. Good luck with your installation. Also somewhere on this board is a complete photographed installation by one of the members, might help you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tow Package Charge

Kind of getting off subject on this thread but .....

I paid $995 I think for the tow package (coolers, hitch, ball, and labor).

Hmmm...does it say "Sucker" on my forehead or am I just paranoid.

Oh well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Yes I do...

Understand. But you do have to have a wiring harness. Would make sence to use only one. They are complicated to design and have manuractured. Not to mention it is another point where quality issues can arise since the wrong harness could be used. In good manufacturing design you would not do this unless you wanted to halt the diy'ers and aftermarket add-ons.

On the other hand you can leave off the needed cooling for towing, and just downspec the vehicle since many people will not add a hitch. It is dumb from a customer's perspective, so I get the feeling they are protecting the dealers in lieu of the customers.

oceanMDX said:
According to two Acura dealerships - one in Calgary and Falconi's in Las Vegas - the wiring harnesses are different in the GPS equipped MDX versus the non-GPS equipped MDX. If you think that's odd then consider what Acura does when you want to tow with the MDX. Rather than simply equip all MDXs with a transmission cooler and power steering cooler ( at minimal additional cost) or make the coolers available as a factory installed option, they have the dealerships install these coolers. The dealer has to remove the front bumper - possibly scratching it in the process - and install these coolers for what is likely a higher cost. IMO, that is just dumb.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts