Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why does Acura MDX depreciate so quickly compared to Honda or Lexus? I guess this is good for used car buyers since the depreciation comes in early, and MDX is still very reliable. Below is the average depreciation aggregate website, Car Edge.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Why does Acura MDX so quickly compared to Honda or Lexus? I guess this is good for used car buyers since the depreciation comes in early, and MDX is still very reliable. Below is the average depreciation aggregate website, Car Edge.

Not uncommon across all luxury brands IMO, though for whatever reason the RX breaks the mold. It's kid of hard to do right now because the 2021 RX is out and the MDX is not, but the lease deals will often reveal the real expected depreciation when you compare the monthly + down payment across comparable models.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Why does Acura MDX so quickly compared to Honda or Lexus? I guess this is good for used car buyers since the depreciation comes in early, and MDX is still very reliable. Below is the average depreciation aggregate website, Car Edge.

If you factor in the out the door prices paid, the MDX and RX will be proportional. None of my Lexus owning friends/family/neighbors saw the same discounts on their new RX vs what is not uncommon with an MDX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I am not worry about the depreciation since I keep all my cars to the point I think it is not worth the money for repair/maintain.

Reactions: JOTAS and mrgold35

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I am not worry about the depreciation since I keep all my cars to the point I think it is not worth the money for repair/maintain.
Same here! I had almost 500,000 miles between my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX (TSX was totaled in Nov/19). I usually hand my vehicles down to my kids or nieces/nephews around +175,000 miles. They usually destroy in a short time or keep for another 50,000 to 75,000 miles.

I seem to see more +10 year old Acura's on the road compared to Infiniti, Lexus, MB, BMW, or Audi? I don't know if I'm more aware of Acura's on the road subconsciously or maybe there are? You can't beat +10 years of mostly routine maint, tires, brake pads, and 1-2 batteries.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The 61% value from the link on a 2017 MDX is higher than the 57% residual that was on my 2017 Advance lease which is why I initially planned to buy the vehicle at lease end this year. However, given lease incentives in March I leased a 2020 Advance. Reflecting the expected depreciation, the residual on the 2020 lease is 54%. This a larger reduction as the 17 lease was a 12k annual mileage and the 20 lease is a 10k mileage lease (plus unused carryover miles from the 17).

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
You can’t expect huge discounts on the mdx and low depreciation. It doesn’t compute. The discounts are much larger than when I bought my car. Hence higher depreciation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is true. I did not realized that the discount on RXs aren't as great as MDX. My point is that MDX is definitely is a great used car option especially compared to Lexus SUVs. I have MDX 2014 with 95,000 miles and it has been running so well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think it's been this way for a long time. Honda is long-known for reliability, serviceability, longevity, high resale. Acura is a premium/luxury brand, more known for sportiness + luxury, always more depreciation and rapid depreciation vs. Honda and Toyota. Lexus is a premium/luxury brand yes, also, but more known for just luxury. They're more desirable, always have been, as a status symbol. It's like BMW vs Mercedes, also. Acura ~ BMW vs Lexus ~ Mercedes. In recent years, also, reliability of Acura has fallen a lot in consumer reports and other reviews. That effects a change upon the whole brand across all model years, eventually, not just the problematic years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts