Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a certified used 2014 Acura MDX tech package and a day later noticed a crackling sound when driving highway speeds typically 60mph+. The sounds seems to be coming from the outside area somewhere around the driver side door area. The sound sounds like high speed wind hitting against something and flapping around, something like a flapping/crackle type of sounds that's very noticeable regardless if you sit in the driver or passenger side (almost as if heavy raindrops are hitting the door panel at highs peed). I already tightened up the mud guards but that doesn't seem to be the culprit and I didn't see anything loose on the body of the vehicle anywhere. This does not happen when turning, breaking or reverse driving - just seems to happen once the vehicle is accelerated to around 60+ speeds.

I just dropped off my vehicle at the Acura dealership since its still under warranty but the mechanic really didn't seem so sure what could cause it until they fully inspect it.*

Has anybody ever experienced this or heard of the problem? or possible ideas what may cause this? According to Acura and the car fax, there was never any accident/damage/repairs done *(at least that's whats being reported). My loaner MDX does not make this crackling sound.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a certified used 2014 Acura MDX tech package and a day later noticed a crackling sound when driving highway speeds typically 60mph+. The sounds seems to be coming from the outside area somewhere around the driver side door area. The sound sounds like high speed wind hitting against something and flapping around, something like a flapping/crackle type of sounds that's very noticeable regardless if you sit in the driver or passenger side (almost as if heavy raindrops are hitting the door panel at highs peed). I already tightened up the mud guards but that doesn't seem to be the culprit and I didn't see anything loose on the body of the vehicle anywhere. This does not happen when turning, breaking or reverse driving - just seems to happen once the vehicle is accelerated to around 60+ speeds.

I just dropped off my vehicle at the Acura dealership since its still under warranty but the mechanic really didn't seem so sure what could cause it until they fully inspect it.*

Has anybody ever experienced this or heard of the problem? or possible ideas what may cause this? According to Acura and the car fax, there was never any accident/damage/repairs done *(at least that's whats being reported). My loaner MDX does not make this crackling sound.

Any help is appreciated!
I've recorded some intermittent crackling noise from the driver side tweeter / air vent area. It is louder when I travel at 60KM / H but it is not consistent. Sounds like a blown speaker but it isn't the tweeter or the air vent.
I've read on other forums that it could be a servo for an air mixer ?? something under the dash that activates to mix air ...
I took my car to Pickering Acura yesterday but they couldn't replicate the noise. (started at 2K, continuing at 11K) I'll upload a video of the sound from my phone if it helps.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I seem to be experiencing the exact same thing

I have had my 2016 MDX for over a year, and never heard such noise. But this week, it happens when I drive at 110km/h (65mph), crackling noise near the driver side B pillar.

It happens only in the morning when I leave my attached garage (near freezing temperature) into extreme cold of -30C (-22F). No noise on the way home in the afternoon when it is just as cold.
I have been lazy in diagnosing the problem. Plus, it's hard to diagnose when driving at 65mph. I'm just hoping the problem goes away when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Sounds like the window seals are not holding against the window glass so you are getting some air penetrating through.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds like the window seals are not holding against the window glass so you are getting some air penetrating through.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Good point. But, it seems to only occur under very specific conditions. Maybe the seals harden enough in the cold to loose their seal under pressure from high speed.
Anyways, it's a little warmer now and the noise is gone.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts